ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Fly tying => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 11:12:44 AM

Title: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 11:12:44 AM
Hi  :ult: so I was fly fishing this weekend with Mrs Simpson, Lunker and his wife and Lunker kindly took a night to explain and show me the basics of how to tie flies. I have never been good with my hands so it was not very easy but I found it very enjoyable and interesting... I had a lot of fun tying these two "pavement specials"  :hehe: ...

I always wanted to see if a white and redhead fly would work in the freshwater or maybe salt, I will give it a go next time I am close to the ocean... The redhead fly has a lovely action and I tied it with white marabou, white fritz, red cotton for the base and then a bead and red material for the head...

The second fly I just tried to make as flashy, sparkly and shiny as possible, have no idea what sort of insect that would resemble though  :cnfzd
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: shagnrelease on June 20, 2011, 11:46:39 AM
Nothing wrong with that effort, practice makes perfect!


what was the fishing like?
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: Willie on June 20, 2011, 11:51:56 AM
Looks great (clap) the smokes on the table was that for stress? :hehe:
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 11:52:50 AM
Thanks Greg, will need a lot more practice  :hehe:

The fishing was awesome we didnt get a fish under 1kg  :-)

Working on the report as we speak, have been the whole morning but I have got so much work at the moment   :-(
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 11:54:46 AM
Looks great (clap) the smokes on the table was that for stress? :hehe:
Thanks Willie  :hehe: yeah its a very stressful thing to do, also the lit cigarette gave me more light  w;k :crzy
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2011, 12:20:12 PM
Nice going Gareth!  :win:  Welcome to a new world of obsession!! That second fly could double as a generic nymph type no problemo!
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: John F on June 20, 2011, 12:49:47 PM
Well done WK!   (clap)
 
As Rory said it's a whole new obsession! Looking forward to what comes next...
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
Nice going Gareth!  :win:  Welcome to a new world of obsession!! That second fly could double as a generic nymph type no problemo!
:tkx: Rory, I must admit I am already quite obsessed with the idea it is a great hobby, just need some practice... I will try fish that as a nymph next time I target  :trout: and see what happens  :-)
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:31:55 PM
Well done WK!   (clap)
 
As Rory said it's a whole new obsession! Looking forward to what comes next...
Thanks Marcos  :hehe: Im keen to try get some more flies under my belt asap  :-)
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on June 20, 2011, 08:16:22 PM
nicely done WK, great for first ties.
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 08:19:14 PM
nicely done WK, great for first ties.
:tkx: I appreciate it, want to try tie some proper patterns though  :-)
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: J-Rock on June 21, 2011, 12:54:54 AM
 (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: Rory on June 21, 2011, 07:45:27 AM
:tkx: Rory, I must admit I am already quite obsessed with the idea it is a great hobby, just need some practice... I will try fish that as a nymph next time I target  :trout: and see what happens  :-)

I'll keep you in the loop for when we have another fly tying afternoon/braai/dops, you welcome to join us! w;k
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 21, 2011, 08:21:31 AM

I'll keep you in the loop for when we have another fly tying afternoon/braai/dops, you welcome to join us! w;k
Sounds good Rory, Im keen  :-)
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 24, 2011, 03:40:06 PM

I'll keep you in the loop for when we have another fly tying afternoon/braai/dops, you welcome to join us! w;k

WK, just don't expect to tie many flies though. w;k
The record I think is one fly a session.
The essence seems to be: :frid :frid
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 24, 2011, 03:56:29 PM
 :hehe: Herman thats my kind of fly tying session  :frid
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on June 24, 2011, 07:22:41 PM

WK, just don't expect to tie many flies though. w;k
The record I think is one fly a session.
The essence seems to be: :frid :frid

incorrect Herman. I believe that the record stands at 2 flies between 6 of us in a 5 hour session w;k
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: Rory on June 25, 2011, 07:52:58 AM
What are you guys like? The record is 6 flies in a session! That's good going!  :craz:
Title: Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 27, 2011, 08:26:18 AM
 :lolo:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal