ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: Ziggy on July 12, 2010, 11:16:09 AM

Title: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Ziggy on July 12, 2010, 11:16:09 AM
Nice of Reefman to create a trout section - lets hope I am not the only one who is excited about this!
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: woerman on July 12, 2010, 04:44:12 PM
ME ME ME
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Rory on July 12, 2010, 05:16:12 PM
Ja, very lekker. (clap) Maybe we should get the trout thread moved to the fly fishing thread?
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 12, 2010, 06:42:43 PM
+1


Grew up in Dullstroom
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: jaenswart on July 12, 2010, 07:31:20 PM
+1
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Ziggy on July 12, 2010, 07:45:11 PM
Ja, very lekker. (clap) Maybe we should get the trout thread moved to the fly fishing thread?

The flyfishing thread would be for saltwater flyfishing I would assume - you can also flyfish for carp, yellow fish etc - so I think a dedicated trout thread is better - for trout fishermen that is!
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Searaider on July 13, 2010, 06:37:29 PM
I am also a fly fisherman and have caught many different species on fly.
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 21, 2010, 11:07:20 PM
I am a big fly fisherman and especially like targeted Rainbow Trout... My PB is 2.4kgs: one of the best days of my life... I mainly enjoy dry fly fishing for rainbows, also like fishing the nymph and of course retrieving the woolly bugger and walkers killer... Heres my biggest Rainbow this year, caught in the Dullstroom area, weighed exactly 1kg, got him on a black woolly bugger...
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 24, 2010, 01:33:36 PM
Photos of the last couple of days...


Location - Steenkampsberg


Caught 12 trout in two morning sessions...


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050010.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050009.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050008.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050002a.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050007a.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050012a.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050011.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050015a.jpg)


Love trout...   :thmsup" :thmsup"
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: woerman on July 25, 2010, 09:59:24 AM
 :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: REEFMAN on July 25, 2010, 08:31:58 PM
Awesome Gerhard! You're def a multi-talented angler eh?!
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Capt. Hook on July 26, 2010, 12:15:35 AM
Me2 :thmsup"
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 09:24:11 AM
Awesome Gerhard! You're def a multi-talented angler eh?!


Thanks Mr T...


Does not matter how I fish....


But it matter that I am fishing.... w;k w;k
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 12:58:11 PM
Great stuff Gerhard, nice fish and pictures :thmsup"
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 01:02:12 PM
Thanks,


I have caught over the years a lot of trout...


Growing up in Dullstroom in the early 80's...


I have caught a lot bigger trout but size does not matter each one is a lot of fun


The fly at the bottom did the damage


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1050023a.jpg)
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 01:09:29 PM
The bottom fly does look deadly  :sml:
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 01:11:24 PM
The bottom fly does look deadly  :sml:


Its Mrs Simpson's No 12's


The top one still got to be used...


Bottom one got hammered a bit on Friday...  :hehe: :hehe:


I think he needs to retire to the fly wall  w;k
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 01:12:35 PM
Haha, yeah looks like it was destroyed by the fish! How fast was your retrieve?
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 01:14:50 PM
You have to play with the speed.


I fish with a sinking line.


Some of them took the fly while retrieving fast.


Some took it on a slow retrieve...
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 01:17:17 PM
Yeah, just wondering how aggressive the fish are this time of year?
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 01:24:15 PM
It was close to the same retrieves I use in summer time...


They are getting ready to "spawn" so they are fattening a bit.
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 01:26:42 PM
Ok cool  :tkx: do you get many Browns where you fish?
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 01:28:09 PM
Only rainbow's....


I have only caught 1 brown trout in the Dullstroom dam in 1984 I think...


Maybe today they are stocked more
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 01:51:39 PM
Ok cool... :sml:
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Big Van on July 26, 2010, 03:55:57 PM
Hi Guys
I am into flyfishing all species but trout is the favourite. Records currently -Brown -3.4 kg , Rainbow-3.5 and golden-1.8 kg. All species caught at Leeuwkloof Trout Estate. Contact me if you want to go there I can organise better accommodation prices UA Boytjies.
Cheers mates
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: jaenswart on July 27, 2010, 07:36:49 AM
I'm visiting Doornkop from Thursday till Sunday...can't wait
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 27, 2010, 07:37:56 AM
I'm visiting Doornkop from Thursday till Sunday...can't wait


Where is Doornkop situated?
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: jaenswart on July 27, 2010, 07:42:46 AM
Gerhard,

It is between Machado and Cornelia. It's lovely, about 10 dams + 1 big trophy dam. and lots of river, about 15km of it.

Will report back
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: Gerhard on July 27, 2010, 07:43:42 AM
Enjoy...



Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: shagnrelease on July 27, 2010, 10:50:40 AM
I'm visiting Doornkop from Thursday till Sunday...can't wait

geez bud do you not work?? vidal, sodwana catching couta and then of to Doornkop, man what am I doing wrong..... :cry:
Title: Re: How many trout fishermen out there?
Post by: jaenswart on July 27, 2010, 12:49:49 PM
Greg, coming from you...... lol....

My wife's b-day Friday...so I had to get a place that's got all the lekker stuff for her (spa etc etc)...she doesn't know yet that I can fish there :-)

She will find out when we arrive haha
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal