ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 09:08:06 AM

Title: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 09:08:06 AM
The shad are plentiful at the moment on the KZN south coast. Scottburgh, Rocky Bay and Pennington are providing plenty of good catches. Most of the fish are small, so it takes about 12 to 15 fish to get your legal bag of size fish amongst them.
Guys are catching on both spoon and sardine, with sardine generally being more succesful. Most of the shad in the Pennington area are very close in. This morning at first light there were some nice chases as well amongst the shad in Pennington, either garrick or yellowtail kingfish. I tried a plug for a while but they ignored it. 
The surf has been quite big yesterday and today, after sunday's big south westerly, but the water is clean and fairly warm.
I have been casting spoons for my shad and have managed to get by bag limit over the last three days, fishing for around an hour to two hours each day. Most activity is definitely at first light and last light, especially with the water being full at those times at the moment.
Spoons that are doing the damage for me are the Sea Iron Taunter 3/4 ounce with a single hook on the back. It is a nice light spoon with lots of action and can be retrieved quite slowly with a big fluttering action and lots of flash. It swims quite near the surface if you fish with a medium fast retrieve and is a great option when the shad are amongst the rocks and shallow water, as they are at the moment.
 
With this spoon and the single hook rig, I haven't yet lost a spoon this season. I am casting it on 15lb braid, with a short 20lb clear leader, and using no wire. I am geting more than enough distance with that set up, and so far no bite offs.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: PH on June 07, 2011, 09:14:06 AM
 :shre:  Tommo!!
 
Tackle shop, here I come.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Prego on June 07, 2011, 09:15:12 AM
Its not April fools is it and you run back to fetch your camera  (bat :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 09:28:29 AM
 :hehe:  not this time.  :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd:
 
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: REEFMAN on June 07, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
:hehe:  not this time.  :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd:

Stick to the bag limit Tommo... it's  :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd:     :hehe:
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: deezynking on June 07, 2011, 09:33:35 AM
shot for the update tommo....  :shre:
when the shad were on the run, how was the crowd? i hate fishing in a heavy crowd...things get bad  :-(
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: deezynking on June 07, 2011, 09:34:45 AM
Stick to the bag limit Tommo... it's  :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd:     :hehe:

lol... u just beat me to it reefz, i was doing the same thing until i saw the pop up  :hehe:
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Prego on June 07, 2011, 09:39:22 AM
Stick to the bag limit Tommo... it's  :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd:     :hehe:



 :rotfl :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 09:49:28 AM
You guys got me there..... Ha ha, long as they aren't in my shad bag! The crowds aren't too bad, probably be worse on the weekends, but early morning weekdays just a few pensioners and some local guys. I have changed spots a couple of times when it gets too crowded, but there is always the chance of finding a quiet spot with some fish.
 
This morning I got two shad in two casts, then unbelievably this local guy came and stood in front of me! Not t the side, right in front! I had to move aside in order to cast, then he hooks my line, twice... I just moved along the beach a bit after that. I guess the bottom line is that a guy like that is so intent on catching some food for him and his family, that he has different perspectives on things.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: deezynking on June 07, 2011, 11:14:27 AM
You guys got me there..... Ha ha, long as they aren't in my shad bag! The crowds aren't too bad, probably be worse on the weekends, but early morning weekdays just a few pensioners and some local guys. I have changed spots a couple of times when it gets too crowded, but there is always the chance of finding a quiet spot with some fish.
 
This morning I got two shad in two casts, then unbelievably this local guy came and stood in front of me! Not t the side, right in front! I had to move aside in order to cast, then he hooks my line, twice... I just moved along the beach a bit after that. I guess the bottom line is that a guy like that is so intent on catching some food for him and his family, that he has different perspectives on things.

i doubt its food for him and his family...especially after the other post were you mentioned bag limits and size is oblivious to them. and we all know how shad goes after freezing it... it has no real shelf life compared to being fresh. i personally move off or pack up when the fishing gets crowded. tangles etc.... not worth the headache.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Half-Pint on June 07, 2011, 11:48:13 AM
Tommo do you mind posting a pic of the spoon?
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: REEFMAN on June 07, 2011, 12:00:39 PM
Sea Iron spoons
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: deezynking on June 07, 2011, 12:03:54 PM
do they come with the tape or do u put ur own tape on?  :dunno:  thanx.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 02:30:37 PM
Howzit Deezynking, Reefz is 100% correct those spoons of his are Sea Irons, but they are the casting iron series, excellent for distance casting and also great for shad, especially the little one. The Sea Iron Taunter is basically a stainless steel slim spoon, with a very narrow body and s-bend shape. I will attach some pics of the Taunter showing the different angles. As you can see it is a very shiny stainless, which due to its light weight and slinky shape has a very good flutter in the water and throws a mean flash, fish can't resist it and it often carries on catching when other spoons stop producing. I am not sponsored by them, so not marketing them, just one lure that I wouldn't have missing from my box.....
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Kumz on June 07, 2011, 02:33:15 PM
 :shre:  .. Tommo ...  w;k
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Half-Pint on June 07, 2011, 02:47:27 PM
Thanks Tommo! Interesting to note that the basic shape is similar to the Toby spoon which is also excellent for shad. Good to know that if we can't get that specific spoon what general characteristics to look out for
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 02:55:23 PM
Exactly! The slim spoons are based on the Toby design, without the "Wings". There are other cheaper brands of slim spoon as well, but they generally are made of an inferior quality steel which loses its shine, tarnishes or rusts pretty quickly. But the main feature of the spoon is that shape, as you say Tobies have been deadly for shad over the years.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: emjay on June 07, 2011, 06:20:34 PM
This morning I got two shad in two casts, then unbelievably this local guy came and stood in front of me! Not t the side, right in front! I had to move aside in order to cast, then he hooks my line, twice... I just moved along the beach a bit after that. I guess the bottom line is that a guy like that is so intent on catching some food for him and his family, that he has different perspectives on things.
Nothing new. I went down a few nights ago to catch some shad. I was there the previous night and it was very pleasant, hooking 9 shad, landing 8, lost one and I kept four, all size. Didn't have those pigs on the beach. Next night was a different story! Boy does news travel fast! Seems like in Durban the mere mention of "shad" and you've got every Bob and Joe on the beach throwing over your line, keeping undersize fish, not sticking to bag limits, you know the story.... There was this guy who just could not throw straight! Threw over my line.....every...single....time..... including over the guy next to me. It doesn't help if you bang on target, when there is a chop who goois over everyone to his left.... If you know you can't throw properly, move off away from everyone so you don't cause a potential boxing match.... And why do they HAVE to pitch their tent right next to you. I mean cummon, move over 15m or so away from me. I don't like rubbing shoulders with a poacher, and I sure as hell don't want to listen to their stories of "catching 40 shad the previous night and keeping them all"
It's so sad that there still are a lot of fishermen out there that obliterate the fish stocks without care  :-( .....
Have a look at America. Have a look at their blue fish. It's the same fish as a shad. Now have a look at how BIG they are in America! We have a long journey ahead of us to catch shad like that  :-( ....
I still enjoy shad runs though. They are very exciting. I mean wow, sometimes your bait barely has to touch the water and you on
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: sea sick on June 07, 2011, 07:26:45 PM
yip, saw guys selling shad on the highway.
size seemed to be okay.

ss
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 07, 2011, 07:59:17 PM
Ja well, I guess it is exciting time for everyone! For many of these guys that is the best fishing that they will ever see, and they are so beside themselves that they can't help the way that they react. I must say that a shad run is an amazing thing to behold, including the human behaviour....
Some of these guys in our part of the world wait months for this type of fishing, so I guess they need to enjoy it too. I do wish that we could educate the main body of anglers into understanding that if they leave some for tomorrow it will be better for all....
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: 30.06 on June 13, 2011, 07:47:31 PM
Hi Tommo, do you know of anyone that sells the Sea Iron Taunter in Durban?
Thanks, 30.06
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tommo on June 13, 2011, 09:28:19 PM
I am not sure which stores in Durban stock them. I googled them and got a contact number for them 0845001504, aybe give them a call and they can tell you which shops stock their products. Good Luck!
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: deezynking on June 13, 2011, 09:35:08 PM
Shot tommo. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. Hope to fish with you soon. Tyt lines till than ;)
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: nico on June 13, 2011, 09:55:16 PM
yip, saw guys selling shad on the highway.
size seemed to be okay.

ss

Thats just not on. Illegal as can be, how do they get away with selling them in broad daylight?
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: 30.06 on June 13, 2011, 10:03:00 PM
Thanks Tommo for the prompt response.
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: sea sick on June 18, 2011, 02:44:07 PM

Thats just not on. Illegal as can be, how do they get away with selling them in broad daylight?

 
nico
 
i understand that it's not right.
but i'll take that they try to make a honest living, rather then steeling
 
ss
Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: adgoose on June 26, 2011, 09:53:37 PM
 :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd: :shd:   oooooooooeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww shad here i come.....






hi guys im hitting Pennington this weekend ( ill be there from about monday the   the 3rd july


any tips or hot spots to keep in mind, are the shad still thick in these parts recently????




OMW  i seriously cant wait there is no highveld fishing that can beat shad


woooooooooohhhhaaaaaaaaa

Title: Re: Shad are thick on the KZN south coast
Post by: Tyrone ter bruggen on June 27, 2011, 09:12:49 PM
yip, saw guys selling shad on the highway.
size seemed to be okay.

ss




SHAD FOR SALE.  (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,5665.msg74888.html#msg74888)

Click on the words above to open the link to the topic.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal