ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Fish-Hunter on May 08, 2011, 02:16:32 PM

Title: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Fish-Hunter on May 08, 2011, 02:16:32 PM
I was lucky enough to cacth my first Kingy on saturday mng.

I was actually targetting Shad,we spotted a few chases and I had a pick up but dropped it. There have been sum decent size Shad cummin out lately.

On my second cast into a patch where birds were diving,I was on. He put up an excellent fight,he managed 3 gud runs.I thought I was gng to get spooled on his first run  my Slade 4000 was screaming,it was AMAZING.

Is it common for Kingy's to take spoons?? I was using a S bend,I can't versatile they are.

I can't wait the next Kingy,this one was just under 4kg's
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: craigb on May 08, 2011, 02:39:51 PM
 :win:Nice fish there bud,they give such a nice fight too.Can you share where you were fishing (clap)?
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Timothy Scriven on May 08, 2011, 02:59:34 PM
Well done bud.
Yes they take spoons often.
I have had success with Kingies using a 1/2 - 1 ounce needle nose plug as well.

Shad will take them as well so keep at it and keep posting the pics.
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: strandloper on May 08, 2011, 05:03:58 PM
Congrats on very nice catch!
 
That is one of the reasons you soo so many guys spinning early mornings and late afternoons.
 
Kingies, Garrick, Shad, Kob(Salmon) and Natal Snoek all take the spoon (or plug). In some areas the guys are lucky enough to have the odd encounter with Couta as well.
 
 
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: SAfish on May 08, 2011, 05:06:45 PM
Great catch, well done!  (clap) :gt:
I would love to get one on spoon.
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Tommo on May 08, 2011, 05:57:31 PM
Good job fish-hunter, the fish you caught is a greenspot kingfish, also called a brassy kingfish. They do have some yellow on the tail and anal fins. They love spoons as well as small poppers. They usually come in close to feed on the pushing tide and at dawn and dusk. They put up a really good fight on light tackle, as you experienced. That is a great catch, well done!
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Fish-Hunter on May 09, 2011, 06:46:42 AM
Thanx guys and thanx Tommo for that clarification on the species.

Tight lines

Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Fritz on May 09, 2011, 06:49:23 AM
Good job their Kyle, your hard work is starting to pay off. (clap)
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 09, 2011, 08:36:30 AM
Awesome fish F-H many congratulations  (clap)
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Prego on May 09, 2011, 08:49:03 AM
Fantastic catch &  :shre:
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Kumz on May 09, 2011, 09:09:19 AM
 (clap)  Superb catch ....  :win:
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: Half-Pint on May 09, 2011, 11:20:26 AM
Good on you for that fish!
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: SUNSHINE on May 19, 2011, 11:11:01 AM
Great catch.
 
Thats a fish I still wanna get :gt:
Title: Re: Yellowtail Kingy on spoon
Post by: benniejordaan on May 19, 2011, 11:51:48 AM
Really a nice fish! They are quite aggressive, so will take just about anything!!

Well done!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal