ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: Monster on April 18, 2011, 01:31:00 PM
-
Hi Gents
My brother is coming to visit from the cape and I'm Taking him to Van's place for a weekend. How is the fishing at the moment and do you have any tips?
-
Hi Gents
My brother is coming to visit from the cape and I'm Taking him to Van's place for a weekend. How is the fishing at the moment and do you have any tips?
Hi Monster :tite Vans place is apparently really amazing, never been there, with some large Trout! The flies you need to have: Olive, Black, Orange Woolly Bugger, Zulu, Mrs Simpson, Walkers Killer, Nymphs, damsels, buzzers, ddd's, royal wulffs and rabs! Fish as light leader as possible...
-
Cool Thanx Killer. Haven't had a trout on in more than a year. Been spending all my time on yellows.
-
Cool Thanx Killer. Haven't had a trout on in more than a year. Been spending all my time on yellows.
Nothing wrong with that buddy... Hope you get some big fish I have seen a few pics from Vans place and there are some proper Trout there!
-
"Proper Trout" sound good to me. LOl and probably every other "line chucker". Alos they have golden and brown troout tha I ave never landed before. If all goes well two more species to the list.
-
"Proper Trout" sound good to me. LOl and probably every other "line chucker". Alos they have golden and brown troout tha I ave never landed before. If all goes well two more species to the list.
Very nice hope you get those! Also never landed a Brown its on my species list too!
-
Hi Nico
I love Stephan's farm!! A sure winner there is the flow-in of the main dam. Bekruip hom and gently present any dry fly - I prefer a DDD or a Goddard's cadis. Work it slow and hang on tight!!! There are MONSTERS in that dam.
Have fun and send regards to the Van's.
-
Hi Cois
Daai klink vir my soos 'n plan. Ek het vergeet jy was 'al 'n paar keer daar! Sien nou nogal uit na 'n paar Monsters!!!
-
Hi Monster
Looking forward to meet you. Sorry to reply only now as my "real" work is keeping me far too busy. The trout is in good condition and is really starting to get active now. The guys on the farm this Easter week end will have a ball. White flies are working well at the moment. DDD always a killer late afternoon. Let me know when you come so that I try and make myself available for that time.
Cheers and see you soon
Woeries jy moet kom kuier as die langnaweke verby is. Daai laaitie van jou groei te vinnig en ons sien hom nie.
-
Hi Van
Ek het vanoggend gebook vir die naweek van die 29st en 30st. Dit sal awesome wees om jou ook te ontmoet wou al lank daar by jou draai.
-
Hi Van
Ek het vanoggend gebook vir die naweek van die 29st en 30st. Dit sal awesome wees om jou ook te ontmoet wou al lank daar by jou draai.
Eish this isn't fair!! Wheres that "green with envy" type smiley? Nico don't forgot to take some smallish zonker types and some peacock woolly buggers with chartreuse beads. And Papa Roaches! Lucky bugger.......
-
Hi Monster
Looking forward to meet you. Sorry to reply only now as my "real" work is keeping me far too busy. The trout is in good condition and is really starting to get active now. The guys on the farm this Easter week end will have a ball. White flies are working well at the moment. DDD always a killer late afternoon. Let me know when you come so that I try and make myself available for that time.
Cheers and see you soon
Woeries jy moet kom kuier as die langnaweke verby is. Daai laaitie van jou groei te vinnig en ons sien hom nie.
I cant wait !!! I'll be there in a couple of weeks !!!
-
You are all gonna really enjoy it.
Stephan and Franco have the most beautiful place and the accommodation is really top notch :-)
Do not forget your intermediary lines for your trip. Fish VERY slow retrieve.
-
I cant wait !!! I'll be there in a couple of weeks !!!
No sure what you are up to but BigVan does not allow PAPGOOI
-
LOL....
The same thing you did ! :hnthnt: :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Not the fishing ! w;k
-
Hey Rory, Didn't you just come back from a three week fishing holiday? We must make a plan and organize a nother weekend up there.
-
Hey Rory, Didn't you just come back from a three week fishing holiday? We must make a plan and organize a nother weekend up there.
Nope not 3 weeks! I wish! I just haven't been trout fishing in what seems like a hundred years. :vio :vio :vio
-
Then we shoud organize something sooner than later.
-
Hi Monster
I will most probably see you as we will be back the Saturday fro St Michaels and will go out to the farm the Sunday. Franco might be there for the weekend. I will hear from him.
Rory you must come down for sure. Will keep the trout fat for you.
Tight Lines
-
Had a great time at Van's about a year ago. Pellet fed stockies but there's nothing wrong with that. What worked best for me was small mayfly nymphs fished underneath a dry around the inlet. Fish a long leader and don't false cast over water that you are going to fish. Also got a few big fish on a black muddler after dark.
I think that my mate Pieter is supposed to be there with his SWAMBO this weekend.
Have a great time. :tite
I'm off to Lesotho for 5 days of big, wild browns :clwn
-
Had a great time at Van's about a year ago. Pellet fed stockies but there's nothing wrong with that. What worked best for me was small mayfly nymphs fished underneath a dry around the inlet. Fish a long leader and don't false cast over water that you are going to fish. Also got a few big fish on a black muddler after dark.
I think that my mate Pieter is supposed to be there with his SWAMBO this weekend.
Have a great time. :tite
I'm off to Lesotho for 5 days of big, wild browns :clwn
Basotho Poeth !!!!!! Enjoy buddie, :fshn: fshg hope you got the thermals sorted, I've a feeling it could be kinda cold. Just don't share a bed or bag with TOF ( Aaaarrrggghhh ). I've had to share a tent with him before. :hnthnt: Not an experience to be repeated.
-
Eish Shlosie
That sounds awesome! Now I am green.
-
Hi Guys
Good news for Leeuwkloof visitors. One more dam has been added to the amount of dams. All the dams with fewer fish will also be stocked on Saturday morning. The big dam is fixed again after the storm we had in December and water level is full this morning. So enjoy the longweekend fishing!!!!!
:tite
-
Hi Monster
How was your weekend at the farm? Sorry I could not make it as I was kept with shad fishing with the good weather in Natal. Hope you got some pb fish.
Cheers
-
Morning Sorry Van I,m on site agian. So I will post some pics when we get back. Thank you so much It was awesome!
We went to Vans place over the weekend and were met by Oom Paul and Tannie Maggie at the gate. They immediately made us feel welcome and Oom Paul said the dams where stocked the weekend before.
This meant that no time could be wasted so I rigged up and went to the water. Between 16:00 and 18:00 6 fish where caught between 1kg and 2kg all on sinking line with a Yellow and Orange Streamer. As the sun settled the wind picked up and fish started feeding on the surface. The wind made casting a nightmare and surface flies out of the question. Big fish where eating terrestrials blown into the water by the wind and flying full length out of the water. Even the most salted fly fishermen would have had heart stoppages at the size and quantity of fish that broke surface. Including a golden trout as long as my arm!!!
The next morning was my mother’s birthday and we spent some time eating cake and celebrating the blessed day with her. This meant that I could only get to the water after 8( Our family is cursed by early rising so we were all up at 5 already). I started fishing at the top dam and spotted a school of trout lazily sucking insects off the surface. Tied on a DDD and made a soft cast making sure no fly line fell close to the fish and the fly only kissed the surface. The fish came to inspect but pulled up their noses at the hairy offering. So I reverted back to the Yellow and orange and landed the fly about a meter in front of the closest fish, in a wink the fly was slaughter by a fish I didn’t even see! We managed to land four fish in quick succession and even my girl landed a fish of about 700g. All the fish weighed between 0.5 Kg and 1.5 kg. I went to the house at around 11 for brunch and a lazy afternoon snooze and was back at the water at around 15:00.
Some Neighbours had arrived and managed to catch three fish on a yellow hopper imitation, the wind was less than the previous afternoon and I tried the Yellow and orange again with no luck. I fogged the water for another hour and decided to change to a bling Dragon. Two casts later I had a strike but no fish and a couple of cast later managed to land a beautifully coloured rainbow of about 2kg. My brother came out to join me an also tied on the same pattern. He tried the earlier in the morning and the night before but the wind caused him to many frustrations (spider web’s hanging from his rod so, he decided reading next to a good whiskey is the better option. He is also a lot smaller than my grizzly bear like appearance and does not have the necessary natural padding to insulate against the cold wind). He was promptly broken off by a massive fish on his first cast and decided to stay in the cold for a while longer. Before heading for shelter. I caught another small fish of maybe 1kg.
The sun started to set and I tried the trusted DDD. Three fish missed strikes the fly and I pulled the fly out of the mouths of at least two more. My nerves were shot and I had more adrenalin pouring through my vanes than blood. The fish moved closer to the shore and I could sneak up to fish right next to the dam wall. Making soft casts in a target area less than 20cm across with only the leader toughing water , the fish would swirl under the fly a couple of times. Making you sweat bullets and then the softest sound as the fish sucked in the fly. Absolute magic!!!! I managed another three fish including a massive 2.3kg fish until well after dark and seeing the fish and the fly became impossible. I was hooked and couldn’t wait to get to the water the next morning.
A mother of a storm broke lose as just after we lit the fire and with the wind howling and rain battering everything in reach. We closed the braai and headed inside to the comfort of red wine, good company and the fireplace.
The next morning I was on the water at 6:00 with the fish again rejecting the DDD. I tried all the flies in my box the next two hours with no luck. The fish where eating terrestrials, but rejecting my beetle and hopper imitations. I decided on a white booby with a short leader and tippet setup on a fast sinking line. In this way I could fish the surface as well as the deep with one fly. I watched for surface action and made the cast into the living water. A few casts later I was broken off by a bus that took the fly on the surface and come flying full length out of the water. The tippet was coiled into a small ball by the force. I tied on an olive booby. This time it was taken on a fast retrieve by a fish of about 1.8kg that managed to rob the booby of one of its eyes rendering it unable to float.
My last booby was massive and black and with hope I set it onto the water right into the middle of a big splash. it was taken almost immediately and all hell broke loose. The fish took me the entire length of the dam wall and every time it came close headed to the deep water again. After a lengthy fight that took me down it my backing a couple of time I landed the biggest fish of the weekend weighing in at 2.5kg. Big fat and fast as hell.
I would like to thank leeuwkloof for an awesome weekend of fishing. I bettered my PB from 1.7kg every day and it stands now at 2.5kg. The accommodation is prime and the welcome was heartfelt and exceptionally warm. I will be back again to come and tempt those golden and brown that where so elusive during this weekend and who knows maybe better my Pb again. I will recommend this place to any one!
-
:ayb
Great report !!!
I cant wait ! I'll be there next weekend for my first Fly fishing trip !!!
-
Super report Nico! Man you got some huge fish - nice!! Looking forward to the pics! fshg
-
Wow awesome report Monster cant wait to see those pics! Well done on the trout you caught and your PB :win:
-
Not many venues you can say "I caught another small fish of maybe 1kg."
Top venue with top class fishing
-
Hi Monster
Thanks for the great report. Iam glad you had a good weekend fishing and a good time with your family. Yes Belfast has some different weather than what we are used to. Even summer can be cold. The big dam at the houses has about 8 fish (rainbows) that is over 4.5 kg. I would like to see how they have grown as there were not one caught for the last year. I will try to target them specifically.
Looking forward to your next visit.
Cheers Stephan
-
Fantastic report Nico. Cred to you!