ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: shagnrelease on February 18, 2011, 09:36:25 AM

Title: Classic Fly rods
Post by: shagnrelease on February 18, 2011, 09:36:25 AM
Seeing the branded fly rod thread I got thinking about where I cut my teeth on the angling front and was lucky enough to have been brought up in the scottish borders and my grandfather was a Fly fisher and salmon poacher of note and my great uncle the river warden for the prime salmon waters through Kelso on the river tweed and the teviot, so vast contradictions in terms of ethics!! But of the best in the world to learn your trade as a young flyfisher! I think I was about 6 or so on my first trip but the age is vague just the memory's of the trip are clear as a bell!

However I have been given some awesome classic fly fishing from solid brass fly reels dating back over a 100yrs to leader pouches made from leather with flies snelled onto horse hair tippets, all of which are very valuable to me and kept in a safe place.

But I thought I would share this rod with you, its a 3 piece Alex martin 9' rod with solid brass interlocking ferrules and was built by Alex martins fishing and gun company in 1908, this rod was given to my Great uncle by his uncle, and it was given to him by a Mr william younger from the Mcewan and Younger breweries fame and home of the infamous Mcewans Lager!!
So beer and fishing have gone Hand in hand for years!!

Just thought I would share this with you and would love to see some of your antique fishing tackle as well!!
(http://i54.tinypic.com/10zbvcp.jpg)
(http://i55.tinypic.com/t7n28l.jpg)
(http://i52.tinypic.com/nfs8jo.jpg)
(http://i51.tinypic.com/2hntmbt.jpg)
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 18, 2011, 09:49:00 AM
Very nice  (clap)
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: TUNAMAN on February 18, 2011, 10:15:15 AM
What an amazing collectors piece. It is great to possess a piece of history and a family heirloom.

I will see to it to take a pic of my oldmans Scarborough and post it. Have no idea how old it might be.
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: E.T. on February 18, 2011, 10:24:48 AM
Awesome. In a few months time I will show you a couple of Classic Reels.

Reels like ATH Remco and Hardy Perfect.... w;k
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: Rory on February 18, 2011, 10:25:44 AM
Thats a fantastic flyrod Shaggers, nice. I reckon it must be pretty heavy?
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: super_daav on February 18, 2011, 11:14:44 AM
Shag those are awesome pieces!! Pity you cannot have them framed and mounted...

PS What is your home address??  w;k
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: shagnrelease on February 18, 2011, 11:22:35 AM
Shag those are awesome pieces!! Pity you cannot have them framed and mounted...
I have yet to get them all put in a box frame but just have never got round to it.

Thats a fantastic flyrod Shaggers, nice. I reckon it must be pretty heavy?
It is heavy but not overly really, cant say I would like to cast it however ....wet spaggeti springs to mind.
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: Rory on February 18, 2011, 11:38:00 AM
It is heavy but not overly really, cant say I would like to cast it however ....wet spaggeti springs to mind.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to see how it would handle the modern lines!
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: shagnrelease on February 18, 2011, 11:44:26 AM
Hmmm, it would be interesting to see how it would handle the modern lines!

NO :unhap :unhap

but I will bring it to the next social for you to have a looksie!
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: Rory on February 18, 2011, 11:49:09 AM
NO :unhap :unhap

but I will bring it to the next social for you to have a looksie!

Do you have one of those old school lines to match the rod? I don't want to cast it (not sure if I could stretch my 3rd party insurance that far) just curious?
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: CLS on February 18, 2011, 11:50:52 AM
Fantastic stuff Shag, in those days men were men and could handle the heavy rods, I am sure the rod could tell a few stories. :clwn
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: BigG on February 18, 2011, 11:51:14 AM
Collectors items, very nice shagman
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: Poenskop on February 18, 2011, 03:05:37 PM
What line did you use with that rod? Silk??
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: shagnrelease on February 18, 2011, 04:26:20 PM
What line did you use with that rod? Silk??

 swr dude I did not use any lines with this rod, how old do you think I AM!!!!!


but yes I think most then were silk lines.
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: Poenskop on February 18, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
 :lolo: sry
Title: Re: Classic Fly rods
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 20, 2011, 06:49:34 PM
Shag, what a wonderfull rod. You are so very lucky to have something so special. :resp:

PLEEEEEEZZZZEEEE bring it to the Vaal trip. ( No begging icon ).

Just to get the feel of a rod like that would make my whole day. :happ:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal