ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: Gerhard on February 06, 2011, 05:04:25 PM

Title: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 06, 2011, 05:04:25 PM
So after a lot of planning and long hours in the office I finally broke out last Thursday to go and visit school friends in the Dullstroom area over the weekend.

On planning the trip I was told to make sure I bring my trout rod as well...
What a question.

A friend let me fish on his dam of around 3.5 ha. Not very deep at the deepest point maybe 4 meters but this dam has a lot of grass with a lot of food and some good size fish have been caught in the past.

Friday I spend on the new Explorer Journey.

With an very cold east wind mist and soft rain at times I had no option but to anchor and work the deeper areas.

There were a couple of patches of water grass in the deep water making good structure and this is where I decided to target for trout feeding close to the deeper water.

After about 2 hours I finally connect with a trout. Got him quickly on to the reel and then the fish woke up on his 1st run he ran so hard I had an over wind on the reel and before I could clear it the 6lbs tippet popped .... :eek:

A few choice words was in the order of the day on this "appy" mistake.

Rest of the day nothing. Not a touch and the wind kept on blowing non stop. It really felt like a winter day in early Feb.

Saturday morning saw me on the water just after 07:00 after I had to go back to the house 10k's away cause I forget to load my wading boots and flippers ... :o

The easterly wind was still blowing and I moved out to the same spot where I lost the fish on Friday.

As I anchored and let out line lowly to get into casting distance I saw a nice fish feeding in the middle of the water grass ...

Decided to keep looking and see if he keeps on working the area and if he does I will cast a dry to him.

In the mean time I will work the deeper area's with the 4wt sinking line and an olive dragon.

2nd cast and I am "VAS" !!!

Determined not to make the same mistake as on Friday I got the fish on the reel and double checked to drag setting.

On one run he again created an over wind but I managed to clear it. I decided to let my palm also work on the reel to assist the drag.

After a couple of good runs the fly popped out... :eek: :eek:

Maybe not hooked good has I had a lot of good pressure on the line.

I worked the same area for a while without any success and decided to move around the grass island change to an olive Hammils Killer and started working the point area.

On the 2nd cast I let it go deep and as the retrieve started I got hit. Good fish and I quickly released the anchor and started following the fish and just in time as she went deep and picked up a lot of grass on the leader. Reached it and cleared the leader and the fight was on!!!

Finally got her to the tube and she was a beauty !!!

But as summer time there is not a lot of O2 in the water I could not revive her after working hard for more than 5 min's...

6.1lbs - 23 inch rainbow my trout PB...

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1060002.jpg)

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1060005.jpg)

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1060011.jpg)

Will post more photos tomorrow !!!
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: REEFMAN on February 06, 2011, 05:05:36 PM
Great report and awesome pics Gerhard!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 06, 2011, 05:07:11 PM
Great report and awesome pics Gerhard!!  (clap)

Thanks Boss.

Will ad some more tomorrow night
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: fedu on February 06, 2011, 07:29:54 PM
That is a stunning pic with all those greens  (clap)

Finally you had a chance to hit the water again I just hope 2011 will give you many many outings and fun both fishing or hunting :-)
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 07, 2011, 06:06:33 AM
That is a stunning pic with all those greens  (clap)

Finally you had a chance to hit the water again I just hope 2011 will give you many many outings and fun both fishing or hunting :-)

Thanks Fedu,

If all goes according to plan I will be hunting trout and yellowfish with the rod a lot this year as well as a bit of bow hunting...  w;k
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Rory on February 07, 2011, 07:38:51 AM
Super report Gerhard, that dam in the background looks awesome! I like the colouration on that rainbow, very few spots, and in super condition! Nice!
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: John F on February 07, 2011, 07:42:01 AM
Agree! Super pics! The rod standing on the rock is fantastic!

Nice fish too!
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 07, 2011, 08:15:51 AM
Great stuff Gerhard thats a beaut of a Rainbow  (clap)
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 07, 2011, 08:46:47 PM
Thanks for the comments guys,

Yea,

My 1st 6lbs trout and my goal for this year is a 10lbs slab of silver...

Here are a few photos as promised

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/CIMG0259.jpg)

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/CIMG0256.jpg)

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/CIMG0247.jpg)

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/CIMG0246.jpg)

olive dragon

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/CIMG0229.jpg)
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2011, 08:18:17 AM
Beautiful pictures Gerhard  :shk  :happ:
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 08, 2011, 08:25:24 AM
Beautiful pictures Gerhard  :shk  :happ:

Thanks,

By the way to you gym at the Bedfortview Virgin Active?
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Lichia amia on February 08, 2011, 08:31:58 AM
Lekker Pic's Gerhard . What camera do you use ?

 :grk:
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2011, 08:32:02 AM
 :lolo: Gerhard you wont believe this but 3 people have asked me this, apparently there is a guy who looks very similar to me that goes there because I dont go there, very strange  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Lichia amia on February 08, 2011, 08:33:30 AM
:lolo: Gerhard you wont believe this but 3 people have asked me this, apparently there is a guy who looks very similar to me that goes there because I dont go there, very strange  :cnfzd

Evil twin ?  :hyst:
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2011, 08:36:12 AM
Evil twin ?  :hyst:
:hyst:
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 08, 2011, 08:39:18 AM
:lolo: Gerhard you wont believe this but 3 people have asked me this, apparently there is a guy who looks very similar to me that goes there because I dont go there, very strange  :cnfzd


ha ha ha ha

was wondering if we gonna have a fishing get together at the gym one of these days.
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: Gerhard on February 08, 2011, 08:40:26 AM
Lekker Pic's Gerhard . What camera do you use ?

 :grk:

Thanks,

I use a panasonic lumi pix and for the water shots a casio camera...
Title: Re: Fun on the Highveld
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2011, 08:45:04 AM

ha ha ha ha

was wondering if we gonna have a fishing get together at the gym one of these days.
Haha bru im actually starting to get a bit scared of that guy because now 4 people, some of them know me quite well have asked whi I walked past them at the gym without saying hello!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal