ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => General Offshore Angling Discussion => Topic started by: benniejordaan on January 23, 2011, 04:02:19 PM
-
Re-skirting your lures.
There are 2 ways of doing this, the conventional way and with the skirts rolled. I find the conventional way is still best but a rolled skirt can tame a lures action by adding drag to the back of the lure. The advantage of rolling it is that it seems to create a bigger bubble trail.
Anyway, you decide which works for you!
Firstly the conventional method.
This is the way I assemble just about all my lures. This particular lure has had the Wahoo trimming it and although the lure will still work fine, it gives me more confidence if the lure is in perfect condition.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0077.jpg)
The first step is to simply tear off the old skirt and use a hobby knife to scrape away most of the glue residue and bits of skirt that may have stayed behind.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0081.jpg)
Then get 2 skirts and mark them where you want them to sit on the head. I do this so that once assembled the skirts are about the same length.
Outer skirt:
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0087.jpg)
Inner skirt:
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0088.jpg)
Then simply cut them as straight as possible with a decent pair of scissors.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0089.jpg)
Start with the outer skirt. Fit it on the lure head as you want the end product. Then roll it back on its self to expose some of the shoulder it rides on. A little furnature polish on the skirt will allow it to slip a bit better over it’s self.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0093.jpg)
Simply put some glue on the shoulder as well as on the rear shoulder that supports the under skirt and slip the under skirt on.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0095.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0096.jpg)
Then pull the over skirt back down over the under skirt.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0097.jpg)
Trim them to your preferred length.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0100.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0097.jpg)
Refit rigging and you are ready to go.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0103.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0104.jpg)
The next method is also quite popular..
The first step is to cut the skirts. Cut it away from the narrow neck of the skirt about the same length as the skirt shoulder on the lure.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0107-1.jpg)
Then turn it inside out.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0109.jpg)
Now spray furniture polish on the lure head or on the skirt and pull the skirt over the head till the neck sit up against the shoulder.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0110.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0113-1.jpg)
Using some heavy braid or similar, make a loop and hold it over the neck then start wrapping around the head working your way tightly up against the shoulder.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0114-1.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0116.jpg)
Hold the line and loop with your thumb and cut the line leaving about 5cm.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0117.jpg)
Then feed the tag through the loop and pull the loop tag end back through/under the binding.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0118.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0119.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0120.jpg)
Trim the tags leaving them about 2cm long.
Follow these steps for the under skirt.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0123.jpg)
In the future to change them, simply just pull one of the tags and the binding will come undone with no mess of fuss.
Then just pull the skirts down and trim the ends.
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0124.jpg)
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0125.jpg)
Final product:
(http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b448/benniejordaan/Skirting%20lures/DSC_0129.jpg)
-
Very neat Bennie.
Presumably that's Superglue you are using?
-
Thanks Bennie! Great pics and well explained! Cred to you!
-
Thanks chaps!
Rigged and ready!
-
lovely post mate, thanks for taking the time!!
have some cred!
-
Bennie,
I see that you trim the tail end square so to speak. With fly tying the idea has always been to have a tapered tail end section vs. a square / straight cut. Any thoughts on this applying to skirts / lures?
-
Great post Bennie!!!!!
-
+1 cred bud!
-
Bennie,
I see that you trim the tail end square so to speak. With fly tying the idea has always been to have a tapered tail end section vs. a square / straight cut. Any thoughts on this applying to skirts / lures?
For sure, many guys do that, cut the skirt into a V. To be honest, I haven't seen it make any difference. For most of my lures I prefer not to cut the ends at all.
-
Good post Bennie. :tkx:
-
Nice post Bennie, are those big squids an item that you stock?
-
Nice post Bennie, are those big squids an item that you stock?
I do! Plenty!
-
Excellent post Ben .. Very pretty and colourfull lures!
+1 Credit (clap)
-
Excellent Bennie. Thank you for helping out.
-
Great post Bennie. Question... the way I read it, you're putting 2 skirts over each other, right? Why 2? Isn't one enough?
-
Great post Bennie. Question... the way I read it, you're putting 2 skirts over each other, right? Why 2? Isn't one enough?
2 skirts!
Mainly to bulk it up but also we'll use a combination of colours. For example a popular colour is the "Captain Morgan" which is a black over skirt with a red under skirt.
-
Nice one Bennie,
What bobben are you using?
-
Nice one Bennie,
What bobben are you using?
I made it! w;k
-
I made it! w;k
How much you gonna charge me to make another one for me?
Looking for a good bobbin for my fly tying... w;k
-
How much you gonna charge me to make another one for me?
Looking for a good bobbin for my fly tying... w;k
Well this one isn't really for fly tying because you need to wind the cotton onto the spool. It's for binding. It has a drag system for tension.
-
Well this one isn't really for fly tying because you need to wind the cotton onto the spool. It's for binding. It has a drag system for tension.
Thanks Bennie,
Its not gonna work tying a size 16 Buzzer.... :hyst:
-
Well this one isn't really for fly tying because you need to wind the cotton onto the spool. It's for binding. It has a drag system for tension.
Bud I did some PR knots last night and my Bobbin is just not refined enough. Would really want to see a close up of yours and maybe a price as I would be interested. Firstly my spool is an old plastic one that is wobbly and then my drag is controlled by the braid twists around one leg. What I find is different braids and different breaking strains react differently to the twists around the leg. A type of clutch will go a long way to making this chore easier.
-
Bud I did some PR knots last night and my Bobbin is just not refined enough. Would really want to see a close up of yours and maybe a price as I would be interested. Firstly my spool is an old plastic one that is wobbly and then my drag is controlled by the braid twists around one leg. What I find is different braids and different breaking strains react differently to the twists around the leg. A type of clutch will go a long way to making this chore easier.
That's exactly the type of thing I made it for. I'll post some pics just now for you!
-
Bud I did some PR knots last night and my Bobbin is just not refined enough. Would really want to see a close up of yours and maybe a price as I would be interested. Firstly my spool is an old plastic one that is wobbly and then my drag is controlled by the braid twists around one leg. What I find is different braids and different breaking strains react differently to the twists around the leg. A type of clutch will go a long way to making this chore easier.
Here it is.
-
Benny... you never cease to amaze me!! You're truly gifted bru!
I WANT one!!
-
Benny... you never cease to amaze me!! You're truly gifted bru!
I WANT one!!
Thanks bud,
I appreciate that!
The reality is I made a few of them some time ago with the intention of selling them. They are not perfect but work well. Once I got a few prototypes done, I couldn't see it selling for less than R750 each which I think is expensive but I would also have to improve the quality by making use of CNC machining. But the volumes would have to go up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue this!
These are the last ones from a batch of 10 hand made bobbins.
-
.
-
Benny... you never cease to amaze me!! You're truly gifted bru!
I second that!! :geet
-
Thanks bud,
I appreciate that!
The reality is I made a few of them some time ago with the intention of selling them. They are not perfect but work well. Once I got a few prototypes done, I couldn't see it selling for less than R750 each which I think is expensive but I would also have to improve the quality by making use of CNC machining. But the volumes would have to go up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue this!
These are the last ones from a batch of 10 hand made bobbins.
I'll take one if you can reserve it for me I will appreciate it. Best to have the right thing for the job I say.
-
Awesome stuff, Bennie. Where do you get all your brilliant ideas from? :dunno: (clap)
-
Awesome stuff, Bennie. Where do you get all your brilliant ideas from? :dunno: (clap)
SAfish I think some just have it.....is like Newton or Einstein! :sml: :sml:
-
I'll take one if you can reserve it for me I will appreciate it. Best to have the right thing for the job I say.
Ok, you just got the last one!
They have been on my desk for a while now... Going to miss the little buggers! :sadd
:hehe:
-
Tunaman, there must be both Newton and Einstein in Mr. Jordaan! :hehe:
-
Ok, you just got the last one!
They have been on my desk for a while now... Going to miss the little buggers! :sadd
:hehe:
Thanks Bud I appreciate it.
-
Thanks Bud I appreciate it.
w;k
Send postal addy please.
-
Sorry about the question about the bobbin... w;k
Took all the focus off the great posts earlier.... (clap)
-
Sorry about the question about the bobbin... w;k
Took all the focus off the great posts earlier.... (clap)
No sweat, just send cred! :happ: :tkx: