ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => General Offshore Angling Discussion => Topic started by: Timothy Scriven on January 04, 2011, 09:06:20 PM
-
My Mate that fishes with me, was down at DBSC on Thursday 31/12/2010 watching the rescue helicopter and NSB boats trying to chase a distinctive black shape out of the inner reef area at Vetchies reef.
The dorsal and tail could be seen clear of the water from shore.
Says the shark was swimming in 2m of water +/- 25m from shore and seemed to be patrolling the top level of water.
Apparently a spear fisherman and his mother were out off the pier when they had the be-Jesus scared out of them by what they reported was a Great White.
They were picked up by a skiboat and taken to shore where they notified the Natal Sharks Board.
We got this photo from one of his mates that works for the NSB later that day with an sms saying that the shark had moved off Vetchies and was caught on the inside of net # 1 in the afternoon.
3m White
:shrk: :shrk:
Sorry, I couldn't rotate the photo.
-
Beautiful animal! Probably looking for a vaalie to snack on :bnaboy:
-
Geez i was at UShaka when we heard the lifesavers calling everybody out of the water on the 31st Dec...Damn did not think much of it. Pity the poor thing got nailed by the nets..
-
What a pity it got captured and died as a result. All because of us humans wanting to venture into their space, sad indeed.
-
I agree that it's a beautiful animal and also wish it could have been chased out instead of dying.
I do not in anyway like the killing of sharks however with that said and knowing that my (and other's) kids swim in that section of the reef, think I'd rather deal with the sharks death than a childs.
When ever I see those beautiful big black eyes of a GW, I can't but imagine what those sharks have seen down below.
-
I agree that it's a beautiful animal and also wish it could have been chased out instead of dying.
I do not in anyway like the killing of sharks however with that said and knowing that my (and other's) kids swim in that section of the reef, think I'd rather deal with the sharks death than a childs.
When ever I see those beautiful big black eyes of a GW, I can't but imagine what those sharks have seen down below.
True
-
Sorry have to disagree, we are in their space. sry
-
Ya I have to agree we move into their space and must therefore deal with the risk they pose not by killing them. I absolutely hate shark nets there is so much misinformation out there that people dont understand how they work.
-
:pot: Here we go again....
-
Well said Nico.
Point of the post wasn't to start a volley of the "kill/don't kill" debate AGAIN.
Along with the "which boat is best" question, been down that road too many times...
Intended more as ...............HEY LOOK A GW IN 2m OF WATER!!
-
Intended more as ...............HEY LOOK A GW IN 2m OF WATER!!
Which is pretty cool!
Looks like we both know ppl at the NSB, does that make us better informed or biased? w;k
-
Hi Timothy, Point taken, its not at you or anyone else, and yes it is scary to know there is a shark of that size in 2m of water in a so called protected bathing area, its just unfortunate that it had to die, just my general feeling. Thanks for the info anyway.
-
Well said Nico.
Point of the post wasn't to start a volley of the "kill/don't kill" debate AGAIN.
Along with the "which boat is best" question, been down that road too many times...
Intended more as ...............HEY LOOK A GW IN 2m OF WATER!!
Timothy, I think you missed the point ... I heard that fish was landed using a Shimano Trinidad ... :pot: :hyst: :pot: :hyst: :pot: :hyst:
-
(clap) (clap) (clap) :hyst: :hyst:
-
Apologies guys! Btw where are that sharks speakers? Arent they all meant start playing dooo do....dooo do...doododoodoodo when they swim into bathing areas
-
Nice post Timothy that is a beautiful beast. :shrk:
Just to think I was swimming there with my 1 year old boy.
-
i know there has been a massive gw lurking in the durban waters after the sardine season, probably the same one. I would of thought the sharks board would of got involved when it was first spotted, and it could of been at least saved before it drowned in the nets
-
I showed this to a mate at work who refused to believe this post. He called the Sharks Board who confirmed the capture of a great white in the nets. However, he tells me that they could not confirm that it was caught at Vetchies and that they indicated that it was caught some where off Brighton Beach.
I'm not sure what to believe here...
As a species, I believe we are entitled to some parts of the ocean, and in this case, this shark was in our space. Very sad to see it died.
-
Does your mate not know that us fisherman do not lie?
How could he not believe a bunch of sea dogs?
:hehe:
Don't think it would have moved from inside the reef at Vetchies around the harbor mouth and hug the coast to the Bluff.
Our source said "net # 1" so schematics aside......
HEY LOOK , A GW!
:shrk: :shrk:
-
Ok, so apparently the catch book for December was misplaced at the time of my mates phone call. The lady at the Sharks Board said that she will hunt for it. We will call them on Monday to get a more detailed response.
I'm into the whole, never let the truth get in the way of a good story thing, and the story above is certainly a good one...especially with some comments about the commotion taking place on the beach and the stranded divers etc.
Great white? Where (bat
-
Shame, shes been around for several months and I have seen her around in the shallows and the deep. My condolences to a magnificent creature.
Would have given an 80lb set up a good stretch.
-
Can you ask your friend at SB to give us a update on the stomach content of the GW. One of my buddys was spearfishing on Junction reef and on his way back a big shark took his fish and float, this was 31/12/10. I would love to know if the small red plastic float was in the stomach, myself got taxxed swr by a beast of a Zambie on the 5th of Jan not far from where the pic was taken. Biggest Zambie I ever saw.
-
Beautiful fish, it is a pity it got nailed by the nets though...
-
Sharks board have confirmed via telephone this morning that it was caught in the nets by Ansteys beach.
Anyway, there were human sighting of it at Vetchies, which gives me the shivers because I surf regularly just next door at UShaka beach / Addington.
-
@ 9-inch
HEY LOOK , A GW!
I laughed at the quick and nonchalant way that you confirmed the "human sighting" from the beach compared to your earlier post.
There was in fact a reported sighting earlier in the day off Ansteys but the fact that the person ON THE BOAT says it was caught at Durban, I'm going to side with him.
_________________________________________________
Here's a thought, as a city would you rather have a shark-scare (read: capture) over the busiest time of the year at your busiest beach and in turn face a possible financial recourse or alternatively say that it was caught at a lesser occupied beach away from the city?
-
I have been giving shark stories a lot of thought lately. I've never really been bothered about them and have jumped in the water when I know they are around. But after this story I went surfing and had my nice shiney Tissot watch on. The water was a quite dirty and every now and then the watch would flicker some light. I thought to myself, if I was a fish (or fishing with a spoon) then that shimmey of light would get me super excited. I had to paddle back to the beach with only my right arm, while my left arm was holding onto the nose of my board.
I'm not sure what you mean by nonchalantly, but I believe the sightings - they had the be-jesus scared out of them right??