ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => General Offshore Angling Discussion => Topic started by: nico on November 22, 2010, 11:47:59 AM

Title: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: nico on November 22, 2010, 11:47:59 AM
Hi guys,
 
Having recently heard again that people are told not to catch Kaakaap (green jobfish) in the reserve, I was wondering if anyone had a list of what KZN Wildlife actually regards as gamefish/pelagics and what they dont? I have searched everywhere, with no luck!
 
This could be important, as it could be the difference between a good holiday and an arrest or fine for offshore fishermen.
 
In general, we know the mackeral species, dorado, prodigal, bills, tunas and kingfishes where in the past regarded as gamefish, but I'd like to make up and post a definitive list here. What about tropical yellowtails for instance?
 
./n
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 22, 2010, 11:54:00 AM
You are right Nico. In the past green was considered gamefish and the rosy was prohibited. Will see if I can dig up anything.
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: benniejordaan on November 22, 2010, 12:30:50 PM
As far as I know/ knew, a fish with a V tail is considered a game fish. I could however be completely wrong!!
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: nico on November 22, 2010, 12:33:43 PM
As far as I know/ knew, a fish with a V tail is considered a game fish. I could however be completely wrong!!
Like a swallowtail rockod?  :hehe:
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: jaenswart on November 22, 2010, 12:43:01 PM
Hi guys,
 
Having recently heard again that people are told not to catch Kaakaap (green jobfish) in the reserve, I was wondering if anyone had a list of what KZN Wildlife actually regards as gamefish/pelagics and what they dont? I have searched everywhere, with no luck!
 
This could be important, as it could be the difference between a good holiday and an arrest or fine for offshore fishermen.
 
In general, we know the mackeral species, dorado, prodigal, bills, tunas and kingfishes where in the past regarded as gamefish, but I'd like to make up and post a definitive list here. What about tropical yellowtails for instance?
 
./n

Kaakaap is still considered a gamefish
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: benniejordaan on November 22, 2010, 12:43:23 PM
Like a swallowtail rockod?  :hehe:

Ok, good point. However a swallowtail has an extended tail that won't really help it's propulsion.

Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: Tommo on November 22, 2010, 12:44:07 PM
Hi Nico

I have e-mailed a friend who works for iSimangaliso and asked him to send me a list of species that may be caught in the reserve. I will post it when he replies.

I would imagine that the following would be acceptable, but this is my opinion:

Tuna species
Mackerel species
Queenfish
Garrick
Scads
Bonito's
Springer
Billfish
Wahoo
Dorado
Cobia (Prodigal son)
Rainbow runner
Kingfish species
Amberjack/yellowtail
Barracuda species
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 22, 2010, 01:02:23 PM
All the documentation I have read seems to hint towards, "If it is not listed it is prohibited!". Not quite concise however as Prodigal as an example do not even appear on their list.

Will await Tommo's feedback to confirm.
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: Tommo on November 22, 2010, 02:43:36 PM
Okay, I have had a reply:

Howzit Craig

This will change in the near future, whereby a fish list will be gazetted of permissible fish that can be caught and removed. This list will exclude species such as jobfish and perhaps some of the more resident game fish species such as king fish etc. In that case you could catch some of these species but would have to release them alive.

For the time being the regulations apply (I will attach a copy) and the relevant section is below:-

 Regulation 3(G), the catching of linefish by recreational anglers from the shore, and the catching, including spearfishing, of pelagic bony fish of the families Scombridae, Carangidae, Pomatomidae, Coryphaenidae, Rachycentridae, Xiphiidae, Ostiophoridae and Sphyraenidae, the species Aprion virescens, as well as pelagic cartilaginous fish of the families Carcharinidae, Isuridae, Sphymidae, Alopiidae and Odontaspididae from a vessel in the Trafalgar Marine Protected Area, and in the restricted areas of the St Lucia and Maputaland Marine Protected Areas.

Which pretty much means that as it stands right now that list that I put up earlier, plus shad and green jobfish are, currently legal to catch. As you can see from his reply though, that is going to be changing soon, as they want to protect resident species such as green jobfish, kingfish etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they took sharks off the list as well.

I hope that helps.

 

Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: nico on November 22, 2010, 02:49:32 PM
Okay, I have had a reply:

Howzit Craig

This will change in the near future, whereby a fish list will be gazetted of permissible fish that can be caught and removed. This list will exclude species such as jobfish and perhaps some of the more resident game fish species such as king fish etc. In that case you could catch some of these species but would have to release them alive.

For the time being the regulations apply (I will attach a copy) and the relevant section is below:-

 Regulation 3(G), the catching of linefish by recreational anglers from the shore, and the catching, including spearfishing, of pelagic bony fish of the families Scombridae, Carangidae, Pomatomidae, Coryphaenidae, Rachycentridae, Xiphiidae, Ostiophoridae and Sphyraenidae, the species Aprion virescens, as well as pelagic cartilaginous fish of the families Carcharinidae, Isuridae, Sphymidae, Alopiidae and Odontaspididae from a vessel in the Trafalgar Marine Protected Area, and in the restricted areas of the St Lucia and Maputaland Marine Protected Areas.

Which pretty much means that as it stands right now that list that I put up earlier, plus shad and green jobfish are, currently legal to catch. As you can see from his reply though, that is going to be changing soon, as they want to protect resident species such as green jobfish, kingfish etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they took sharks off the list as well.

I hope that helps.

Brilliant, thanks Tommo! I find it interesting that this set of regulations allow pelagic cartilaginous fish, while the more accessible Recreational Angling pamphlets state pelagic bony fish. Almost like the story when wreckfish was ommited from one annexure but was still illegal as it was still listed in other regulations.
 
Anyway, fantastic, would you mind if I make one list of all of this and post it in the angling regulations forum?
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: Tommo on November 22, 2010, 02:53:42 PM
Sure Nico, I am just not sure about springer...
Give me five minutes and I will give you the full ist in common names...
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: nico on November 22, 2010, 02:58:13 PM
Sure Nico, I am just not sure about springer...
Give me five minutes and I will give you the full ist in common names...

Maybe you can just post it here :)
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,23.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,23.0.html)
 
I hope they only remove specific species and not whole families, I'm thinking specifically of rainbox runners and scads in the Carangidae (bait! LOL)
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 22, 2010, 03:01:18 PM
You PRO's sound like Marine Biologists now. Will really appreciate the list in common names for us common folk.... :lolo:
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: Tommo on November 22, 2010, 03:08:02 PM
Here we go Nico, the list broken down into commom names:

Scombridae includes: Tuna’s, Mackerels and Bonito’s;
Wahoo, All tuna, All Mackerel.
Carangidae includes: All Kingfish family;
Mirrorfish, scads, All kingfish, rainbow runner, Garrick, pilotfish, queenfishes, yellowtail, amberjack, pompanos.
Coryphaenidae: Dorado
Rachycentridae: Cobia (prodigal son)
Pomatomidae: Shad
Xiphidae: Broadbill
Istiophoridae: Sailfish, spearfishes and marlins
Sphyraenidae: Barracudas
Aprion virescens, Green Jobfish (kaakap)

So no springer, but Pompano's are included...
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 22, 2010, 03:13:24 PM
Thanks Tommo appreciated.
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: nico on November 22, 2010, 03:36:25 PM
Thank you Tommo, I have posted the list here:
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,23.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,23.0.html)
 
I tried to give you cred but apparently I am not allowed to do so more than once in 24 hours :)
Title: Re: What counts as a gamefish in the iSimangaliso reserve?
Post by: TUNAMAN on November 22, 2010, 03:45:39 PM
Thank you Tommo, I have posted the list here:
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,23.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,23.0.html)
 
I tried to give you cred but apparently I am not allowed to do so more than once in 24 hours :)
No problem Nico I had some so I covered for you Pal.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal