ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Tommo on November 15, 2010, 08:54:50 AM
-
Sharks seem to be smarter that bony fish when it comes to differentiating between an artificial lure and the real thing. There are times, however that they make a mistake and hit a lure.
I have caught sharks on poppers from the surf and from a ski boat when they are actively smashing into shoa,ls of bait on the surface. I have also caught a few on vertical jigs, ans we seem to lose the odd jig to them too. I was wondering whether anyone out there had any other stories of sharks caught on artificials?
-
First time i have seen or heard about it (me being an internet angler)
Must have something to do with the sharks winning the Currie Cup.
Did you do for one of those toothy critters or was it just one nice surprise?
-
only seen those crazies on an american fishing show catching makos on fly rods, and one getting a serious hiding on a bass rod with a big rapala...
-
We do actually get them fairly frequently on jigs, and I know that FA, who frequently jigs the #1 area in Durban, gets them plenty, so much so that they can be a pest.
Haven't caught them on any other artificials though.
-
We get lots of makos in the tuna grounds here in the Cape - more on Raps than on bait. Plenty of blues as well - so many that you can target them on fly if the tuna are quiet.
-
he he, I once hooked a big blue off Cape Town while fishing for Yellowfin on fly. I was using a chum fly off Dave Christie's boat and threw it at this blue that was hanging out in the chum line. He gave me a good pull on the 14 weight, and just when I thought I was winning the battle, he returned and carried on eating chum, just insulting!!!
-
(http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m209/Steelprod/ANDRE%20FISH%20STUFF/img1387ij5.jpg)
Taken on a DarkStar Cubera... not by me, but by an angler fishing in the Andaman Islands in India...
I've hooked a few Johnnies on Jigs, and had a few chase poppers but nhot connect while up in Moz recently... Good fun seeing one of these beasties chase a popper thats for sure!!!
-
I've had a +- 150Kg one trolling Marlin lures in South Angola, Carlos Moran has had a small one on a fly rod here in Luanda.
-
I had a mako eat a Marlin Kona in spectacular fashion of Cape vidal when I was about 18, it was awesome, we actually boated that fish(in our naivety) and it was poetic justice as it "came alive" again on the boat and caused absolute chaos :hehe: :hehe: we all crapped ourselves!! :shk :shk it was great eating!
when I worked in Puerto Vallarta, we often used to take guys out fly-fishing for sharks, makos and blues mostly and Lemons on the flats.
-
I have had Mako's and Hammerheads getting into my marlin spread and hitting lures before we get the chance to rip them back.
Only twice did the bite stick without the shark biting off the marlin leader. Those Mako's are great fun actually
-
Nice pics Tommo... I watched a fishing program on ESPN about a year ago, cant remember what it was called but they were catching Blacktip sharks (I think this is what they were) on spoons and diving lures. The sharks were very close to the shore feeding on bait fish and they must of got 10 sharks in the episode, the biggest was 75kgs or something!
-
Hi guys
I read an article where Steven 'Spyker' Kruger caught a bronze whaler on fly from the shore. Im not clued up on flyfishing but as I remember the fly used was a big deceiver about 25cm long and a stiffer than normal flyrod. The water needed to be chummed before the fish took the fly. The article was published about 5 years ago in the now discontinued Fishing Gazette, it used to be available in Durban, not sure about elsewhere. The pics were amazing, if he's on the forum maybe he could share.
Cheers
Kamesh
-
Here's the link to the article guys, gotta love google.
http://www.outdoorpages.co.za/Stories/Default.asp?SectionID=1&ID=21&Section=FISHING&Description=ALL+DISCIPLINES (http://www.outdoorpages.co.za/Stories/Default.asp?SectionID=1&ID=21&Section=FISHING&Description=ALL+DISCIPLINES)
-
Thanks for sharing Kesh :sml:
-
We often get Black tips on vertical jig.
-
Only on Vertical jig, Landed a Blacktip of about 80kg or so in Mozambique. never took a pic though, suppose I was disappointed! The rest took the hook and jig, lots of them!
-
Only on Vertical jig, Landed a Blacktip of about 80kg or so in Mozambique. never took a pic though, suppose I was disappointed! The rest took the hook and jig, lots of them!
I must say that as a rule I find sharks a dissapointment, but a Black Tip fights more like a game fish and they can give an awesome jump. On jig with braid they are actually good fun.
By the way when I was in Moz this year, we got a Hammerhead on Jig, I did not take a pic.
-
Yep, the blacktips do seem to be the main culprit. I once hooked one on a jig, with the hook right in the tip of its nose. It came up without any fight, like a sack of potato's. When I plucked the jig out of it's nose it went absolutley beserk, splashing us all and screaming off in a panic. Really weird, as though the hook was touching a nerve centre that almost paralysed the shark...
-
I never had any sharks on lures, but heard from friends that large sharks (tigers, etc) were attacking (and destroying) bonito smokers early this year offshore Inhaca!
-
Here are more.
-
Yep, the blacktips do seem to be the main culprit. I once hooked one on a jig, with the hook right in the tip of its nose. It came up without any fight, like a sack of potato's. When I plucked the jig out of it's nose it went absolutley beserk, splashing us all and screaming off in a panic. Really weird, as though the hook was touching a nerve centre that almost paralysed the shark...
There is definately something about a sharks nose that almost paralyses them.
-
This little fellow took a deep running Rapala near Umgeni Mouth
-
Here are more.
Is that fisrst pic a baby Mako mike?
-
Certainly looks like it from the eye, hey!
-
Certainly looks like it from the eye, hey!
Thats what got my attention.....all the better to see you with hey Tommo...
-
For sure, those Mako's are machines!
-
Is that fisrst pic a baby Mako mike?
Which pic are you refering to, the one with the Bogagrip in its mouth? I am sure it was, faught like hell and actually hit my jig as it came out of the water in mid air, slammed into the boat and then ran.
-
Which pic are you refering to, the one with the Bogagrip in its mouth? I am sure it was, faught like hell and actually hit my jig as it came out of the water in mid air, slammed into the boat and then ran.
Yip thats a mako alright!! awesome sharks!!
-
The mako's in Bom Bom often took lures in the spread trolling for marlin. They fight well and are very dangerous near the boat. Always a pity to have to leave the hook behind as you cut the leader well away from those heads. They look you in the eye saying "try me"...
-
Got this grey off the Fence (Bluff) while pulling for Natal Snoek, this shark came very close to getting chowed by one of his uncles right at the boat!! (Rapala CD 11 Redhead/chrome)
-
Great job! Something new for the shark that works.
-
<: swr
double up dogfish on jig... happened a couple of times
-
Hectic! :shk