ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => General Offshore Angling Discussion => Topic started by: thom7 on November 24, 2023, 04:04:15 PM

Title: bottoms setup
Post by: thom7 on November 24, 2023, 04:04:15 PM
Hi I need some advice. (https://myslotsguru.com/)
Title: Re: bottoms setup
Post by: thom7 on November 24, 2023, 04:06:59 PM
Sorry my question is here. I need some advice on a good bottoms setup I used to use a 7ft solid fiberglass broomstick with a 10inch pulley but I'm considering a new or lighter outfit with a bit more sensitivity.. The current advice /  (https://www.zotabet.com/en-ZA/game/mystic-fortune-deluxe)options are Geelbek Ski, 8ft, with a 7 or 8inch kp. Or a Shimano jigging rod (trevala) with a grinder. Any advice?
Title: Re: bottoms setup
Post by: wetdogsmell on December 08, 2023, 09:04:49 AM
The Shimano Trevala is a great all rounder rod. Paired with a solid grinder with braid you can tackle bait fishing, jigging, trolling etc.
Title: Re: bottoms setup
Post by: Grumpy on August 12, 2024, 02:43:31 PM
Dunno how far down the road u are with this, but but a Trevalla and a Geelbek ski are worlds apart.  The G-ski is a fish pulling tool with an 8 inch. Really neccessary  if you want to keep your fish away from Jaws.
Trevalla and grinder pairing is for shallow bottom fishing with wife and kids. Even though I've used one in 1000 ft of water while jigging. They are capable rods but horses for courses. I have a couple of them, and used one in St Francis a few months ago for hake in about 100 m of water. The wagon wheel guys schooled me in getting a fish to the boat quickly. The seals got me almost every time.
Other limiting factor is sinker size. It's not fun winding a 16 Oz sinker up from the bottom with a grinder due to the gearing. Wagon wheel ratio of 1:1 is actually more pleasurable.


Your call
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal