ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Fisheasy on November 12, 2023, 12:12:59 AM

Title: Rod suggestions for Okuma Cedros 5000
Post by: Fisheasy on November 12, 2023, 12:12:59 AM
Good day all


I am new to rock & surf lure spinning and am seeking some advise on a 11ft rod 1-2 or 1-3oz rod?


I have tried it on my 10ft Adrenalin Modularis Giant Spin 1-4oz, but the rod is too heavy and the reel seems almost comically small on it.


I travel between Cape Town and PE where I intend to do most of my fishing, casting plugs/bucktail/paddletails etc. so will need a light and whippy rod for this application (The Modularis is a bit of a telephone pole).


I travel a lot so it will have to be a 3 piece and my budget is R2000.


Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.
Title: Re: Rod suggestions for Okuma Cedros 5000
Post by: Machine on November 14, 2023, 10:02:17 AM
You can't go wrong with the okuma pro series travel if you are able to find them. This is a black and orange rod, very decent and well priced.

There is also the Okuma nomad travel series which is a 3 piece rod, but that c[size=78%]omes with 2 tips, see at this link https://shop.bilimoria.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=790&search=okuma+travel .[/size]

Title: Re: Rod suggestions for Okuma Cedros 5000
Post by: Fisheasy on November 14, 2023, 07:56:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Machine!


I contacted Billimoria & Okuma SA, unfortunately the Pro and Nomad Travel series has been discontinued. For some or other reason travel rods seem to be limited to the Assassin brand.


The Spin Zero 3 pc 11ft is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the 2 pc Loomis Archipelago, but most rate the two rods worlds apart.
The Loomis XH is available in a 3 pc, but I fear it might be to stiff and it is about 25% more expensive.


The Amia also has a travel model, but feedback on this is that it is quite heavy and also on the higher end of the price range.
Title: Re: Rod suggestions for Okuma Cedros 5000
Post by: Machine on November 15, 2023, 10:16:15 AM
it looks like Bilimoria have stock of the nomad travel series on the previous link, even though the rod may be discontinued. Alternatively, at a higher price point you could look at the shimano STC, https://shop.bilimoria.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2584&search=shimano+stc (https://shop.bilimoria.co.za/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2584&search=shimano+stc)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal