ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: buildershane on May 20, 2021, 09:00:10 PM

Title: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: buildershane on May 20, 2021, 09:00:10 PM
So I have written about how catching a fish in the Kowie estuary which got me into fishing in 2019. After realising that there is not much estuary fishing within driving distance from Pietermaritzburg I came across articles about spinning off the rocks in KZN, and in particular,  spinning for snoek.


After tons of reading I bought the best set up I could get with my budget. My first outing was in January 2020 whilst on holiday for a few days in Pennington. I soon realised that even my casting was going to take practice. Lots of casts and I managed a small bonnie. I was happy to just get something.


Feb 2020. I got asked to join some freinds in Salt rock. I got up early on the first morning while everyone was asleep and missioned to the nearest point. 5 casts in and I had a wind knot bigger than a bird's nest. That was my fishing done for the weekend.


I decided to purchase some quality Gosen 21lb braid, and got it properly spooled by Pranay at Basil Manning in Ballito. Then lockdown hit. I spent the entire lockdown learning to tie fg's and reading fishing articles.


Once we were allowed to fish again I did about 5 early morning trips from Pietermaritzburg to the North coast,  and two weekends down the south coasts. Thousands of casts and many hours of driving and not a single snoek. Just a few shad. I decided to give up for the year.


March 2021. I got invited by the same friends to Salt Rock. On the first morning I was at the nearest point in the dark for my first spinning session of 2021. After an hour of fishing I finally got the bite. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a rat snoek at my feet. Soon after I lost another one trying to get it up the ledge. Such a good feeling after spending so much time learning to catch a particular fish. :cout:
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: buildershane on May 20, 2021, 09:04:34 PM
The fish that cost me hundreds of hours and thousands of rands.
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: REEFMAN on May 21, 2021, 06:53:21 AM
Great story Shane! Well done on the Snoekie!!  (clap) :win:
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: Vaaliebassman on May 21, 2021, 06:59:43 AM
Congrats! Persistence pays! The more you fish the luckier you get! :win:
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: CRANKMAN on May 21, 2021, 09:30:47 AM
Well done on the snoek! The value of fishing is not in the volume or weight of fish caught, but in the freedom and peace of mind that comes from being out in nature - which is priceless.
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: 2bar.boost on May 21, 2021, 07:55:16 PM
Well done on the snoek! The value of fishing is not in the volume or weight of fish caught, but in the freedom and peace of mind that comes from being out in nature - which is priceless.
Ameen :D
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: Durran on May 28, 2021, 08:41:19 AM
Nicely done.


Did you get it off Salt Rock tidal pool?


Can you share some info regarding conditions such as tides, wave size, wind etc as they are very finicky and all these factors affect their feeding habits
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: Steenie on May 30, 2021, 08:59:06 PM
The fish that cost me hundreds of hours and thousands of rands.


Fantastic! Well done!
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: buildershane on May 31, 2021, 09:18:17 PM
Nicely done.


Did you get it off Salt Rock tidal pool?


Can you share some info regarding conditions such as tides, wave size, wind etc as they are very finicky and all these factors affect their feeding habits


Hi Durran. 6:30am, sun was fully out. 18kmh NE, 2.5 hours after high tide.   :cout: you guessed the spot :tite
Title: Re: Chasing the Elusive Natal Snoek
Post by: Durran on June 01, 2021, 07:30:19 AM
Yup, those do sounds like the right conditions!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal