ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Abrocketman on May 07, 2021, 07:42:29 PM

Title: A massive learning curve
Post by: Abrocketman on May 07, 2021, 07:42:29 PM
HI Everyone.


For the last 6 months reading and understanding about spinning has been a massive learning curve. Nothing wrong with knowledge but putting it into practise is another story.


Well ill tell you my journey so far. I have been rock and surf fishing for a couple of years now in the Eastern Cape. Have not been very successful thus far. So I decide to change to spinning as it seems a lot more enjoyable. So I got myself a Shimano Twin Power 6000HG paired with a Penn Regiment 2, 10 foot rod. I put on some 30lb JDB braid on and now I am ready.


I went out in December and casted till my shoulders feel off. 3 to 4 hours everyday and with nothing to show. So I took a different approach in April. I only went out when the tides were good and the conditions were optimal. I put on my GT Ice Cream needle nose and started to get some interest. Then to my surprise I have a pull, at first I thought I was stuck in the rocks but then I realized that I was on. It was a small shad but I did not care as it was my first pull on my spinning gear. That's it I was hooked.


The very next morning I went out again and I put on my S-Spoon and 3 hours later after catching (and safely releasing) 25 shad I called it a day. I took 2 home for the pan. Then for the next few days this pattern repeated itself.


I met a local chap in Gonubie by the of Kent and he was keen to help me. I have learned more in the last few weeks fishing with Kent than I have in the last 6 months. I am now targeting Cob on lures only. I am sure I will learn a few valuable lessons in the months to come.


What you learn from the internet is brilliant, but having that knowledge and learning from a experienced fisherman in priceless. You need to put in the hours and learn to read the conditions.

[/size
]Now its all about putting in the time and enjoying myself. I will keep you guys posted.[size=78%][/size]
Title: Re: A massive learning curve
Post by: REEFMAN on May 08, 2021, 07:49:13 AM
 :welc:

I think you might be talking about this Kent  ------> https://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14477.new;topicseen#new
Title: Re: A massive learning curve
Post by: Steenie on May 09, 2021, 10:34:42 AM
Nice writup! You are right, its a steep learning curve that never really tapers off. And that is how it should be.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal