ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Conservation and Ethics => Topic started by: Echo7 on November 17, 2020, 08:22:05 PM

Title: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: Echo7 on November 17, 2020, 08:22:05 PM
This question has always bugged me, where does one buy legal abalone? Is there such a thing, I've eaten almost every seafood but never this.
With the thousands of kilos poached every year how come theyre not available for sale.
I would really like to try to find a legal source and taste them to see what the hoopla is about.
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: CRANKMAN on November 18, 2020, 10:30:52 AM
Me too!
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: adam on November 18, 2020, 10:53:36 AM
Some distributors like Robberg Fisheries sell farmed abalone.


I believe there are a couple of abalone farms on the west coast.
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: adam on November 18, 2020, 10:55:32 AM
FYI


https://www.aquaculturealliance.org/advocate/south-africa-abalone-farming-goes-gold/
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: CRANKMAN on November 18, 2020, 02:03:14 PM
At that price I think I will stick with Lucky Star Pilchards  :craz: :rotfl
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: Lenny on November 18, 2020, 02:34:57 PM
The Overberg , has a few farms .
I have been to one of them in Gans baai , impressive .


Some farms are government funded , with rules in place ect ect , profit sharing in the local communities .


One of the fascinating things they told us . It could take up to 11 years , to only start to make a profit , with no setbacks .







But I think , there might still be , quotas .
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: Lenny on November 18, 2020, 02:35:54 PM
Invictus , are perlemoen merchants , legally , and are in Gansbaai
Title: Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
Post by: RiyadhEd on November 19, 2020, 09:36:26 AM
Damn, I would love to do this!! Actually been contemplating moving out that way, but no idea of what to do work wise. I cant transfer the trade I am in, to that area at all!!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal