ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Sean83 on October 05, 2019, 10:50:50 PM

Title: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 05, 2019, 10:50:50 PM
Hi guys I am looking for help choosing an 11 foot rod for shore based spinning. I live on the South Coast of Durban and will be spinning off the beach. I recently purchased a Daiwa BG 4000 spooled with 20lb JDB 8X casting braid that I will use on this rod. I would like something in the 1-3 oz range of lure weights. I have a budget of around R2000-2500. I have narrowed it down to an Assassin Amia Zero 11ft XH in either the 2 piece or 4 piece. The 4 piece would be awesome for transporting but I worry about the strength of the rod and how the action will be affected. I am also looking at the Daiwa Saltist 11foot6 UL which is a 3 piece rod also rated at 1-3 oz. I know the Amia Zero also comes in an XXH 3 piece which is rated at 2-4oz but I worry that it will not throw lighter spoons and lures that well. I am open to any other suggestions on rods.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Moby on October 06, 2019, 08:37:52 AM
Personally, I prefer a 2 piece 10' rod (even 9'6"), I do not like the extra joins in the blank.  The shorter rod has more of a tip action (less parabolic) that assists with casting lighter spoons, paddle tails & buck tails into the wind. The shorter rod does not break you after hours of casting and you can impart a better action when fishing paddle tails. I assure you, you will still get enough distance on the cast.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Visenvryheid on October 06, 2019, 08:48:29 AM
For light spinning its very hard to beat the loomis archipelago for value, almost half your budget and more rod than you would expect for that price..I have a 10' and more than happy with it..throws 1-3 oz with ease. Right fuji anti-tangle eye setup, nice handle/winch, beauty HMG blank, good backbone and soft tip..Ya really hard to beat these..Been loving mine is an understatement.

It is a 2piece.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: garrickhunter on October 06, 2019, 10:50:49 PM
I have the saltist but use it for scratching . For spinning the archipelago.Value for money.cast all day and plenty bsckbone
.


Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 07, 2019, 11:49:42 PM
Ok so I am leaning towards the Archipelago. I have found the 11 foot for R1095 and the 'new' stx for R1230 is there much difference between the old and new versions?
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: fishatic on October 08, 2019, 06:25:54 AM
Blank is upgraded - higher quality carbon and slightly lighter
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Bamboes-Vis on October 08, 2019, 06:48:29 AM
I have the Loomis 11ft and it is a lovely rod.


But personally I hate any 11ft 2 piece, it fits in nothing.

Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Kes on October 08, 2019, 11:39:49 AM
Hi guys I am looking for help choosing an 11 foot rod for shore based spinning. I live on the South Coast of Durban and will be spinning off the beach. I recently purchased a Daiwa BG 4000 spooled with 20lb JDB 8X casting braid that I will use on this rod. I would like something in the 1-3 oz range of lure weights. I have a budget of around R2000-2500. I have narrowed it down to an Assassin Amia Zero 11ft XH in either the 2 piece or 4 piece. The 4 piece would be awesome for transporting but I worry about the strength of the rod and how the action will be affected. I am also looking at the Daiwa Saltist 11foot6 UL which is a 3 piece rod also rated at 1-3 oz. I know the Amia Zero also comes in an XXH 3 piece which is rated at 2-4oz but I worry that it will not throw lighter spoons and lures that well. I am open to any other suggestions on rods.


I own 3 of the 5 rods mentioned above. You would be hard pressed to find something of better value than the Loomis. The Amia's are brilliant but they come in at a higher price point.

With the Loomis you are getting more than you pay for.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 08, 2019, 12:15:29 PM
Thanks. I have only read good things on the Archipelago so I am gonna get one.
 Its cheap enough to try out
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 11, 2019, 05:02:34 PM
So I got a Loomis Archipelago STX 11ft heavy. Just arrived and I have to say it feels like a nicely made rod. Will hopefully test it out soon
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Derash on October 11, 2019, 10:31:40 PM
I HAVE THE 11FT SALTIGA ALSO USE IT FOR SCRATCHING
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: JeandlH on October 11, 2019, 10:52:44 PM
So I got a Loomis Archipelago STX 11ft heavy. Just arrived and I have to say it feels like a nicely made rod. Will hopefully test it out soon
1-3 oz or 1.5-4 oz??
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 11, 2019, 11:06:17 PM
The heavy which is 1-3 oz the extra heavy is 1.5-4oz
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: JeandlH on October 11, 2019, 11:58:11 PM
The heavy which is 1-3 oz the extra heavy is 1.5-4oz
  duh  Sorry, I completely missed the heavy you wrote. Please give us some feedback on the rod, it would be greatly appreciated. And if you can, could you maybe try and load the rod with 1 and 3oz weights and let us know how it handles them.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 12, 2019, 12:05:31 AM
Will do. I don't have any 3 oz lures yet I think my heaviest is a 2.5 oz gt ice cream but I will get some more
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 12, 2019, 12:32:39 AM
What knot do you guys use to tie your braid to a flouro leader? I mostly use mono as a leader on my 7 foot dropshot setup and just use a double uni between my braid and mono
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: JeandlH on October 12, 2019, 09:13:32 AM
FG Knot. Not the easiest to tie the first few times, but once you mastered it it becomes second nature to quickly tie one. And there isn't a lot of other knots that even comes close to being as strong.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Steenie on October 13, 2019, 11:35:53 AM
Will do. I don't have any 3 oz lures yet I think my heaviest is a 2.5 oz gt ice cream but I will get some more

For local conditions 1.5 - 2 oz spoons and plugs are probably the best option to use and cover most bases. When using 3 oz plugs in KZN the rod - reel - braid combo need to be such that it can handle trouble, which is what one will hook on 3 oz, mostly big kingies! Your 3 oz rod will also be very nice for 7” plastics. On 1.5 oz jigheads the weight of the lure will be 70 - 80 g.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Steenie on October 13, 2019, 11:38:08 AM
What knot do you guys use to tie your braid to a flouro leader? I mostly use mono as a leader on my 7 foot dropshot setup and just use a double uni between my braid and mono

FG all the way. The same knot can also be used to tie braid leader to casting braid.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: JeandlH on October 13, 2019, 11:56:04 AM
Will do. I don't have any 3 oz lures yet I think my heaviest is a 2.5 oz gt ice cream but I will get some more

For local conditions 1.5 - 2 oz spoons and plugs are probably the best option to use and cover most bases. When using 3 oz plugs in KZN the rod - reel - braid combo need to be such that it can handle trouble, which is what one will hook on 3 oz, mostly big kingies! Your 3 oz rod will also be very nice for 7” plastics. On 1.5 oz jigheads the weight of the lure will be 70 - 80 g.
The reason I asked if it would handle a 3oz weight is to find out if it could handle a small sinker and bait for scratching or fishing in the surf when the fish aren't biting on lures.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 13, 2019, 02:21:07 PM
Will do. I don't have any 3 oz lures yet I think my heaviest is a 2.5 oz gt ice cream but I will get some more

For local conditions 1.5 - 2 oz spoons and plugs are probably the best option to use and cover most bases. When using 3 oz plugs in KZN the rod - reel - braid combo need to be such that it can handle trouble, which is what one will hook on 3 oz, mostly big kingies! Your 3 oz rod will also be very nice for 7” plastics. On 1.5 oz jigheads the weight of the lure will be 70 - 80 g.
The reason I asked if it would handle a 3oz weight is to find out if it could handle a small sinker and bait for scratching or fishing in the surf when the fish aren't biting on lures.

I will probably do some light scratching too so will let you know
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Steenie on October 13, 2019, 06:54:41 PM
Will do. I don't have any 3 oz lures yet I think my heaviest is a 2.5 oz gt ice cream but I will get some more

For local conditions 1.5 - 2 oz spoons and plugs are probably the best option to use and cover most bases. When using 3 oz plugs in KZN the rod - reel - braid combo need to be such that it can handle trouble, which is what one will hook on 3 oz, mostly big kingies! Your 3 oz rod will also be very nice for 7” plastics. On 1.5 oz jigheads the weight of the lure will be 70 - 80 g.
The reason I asked if it would handle a 3oz weight is to find out if it could handle a small sinker and bait for scratching or fishing in the surf when the fish aren't biting on lures.

I will probably do some light scratching too so will let you know

That works well! I have a young man that often spins with me and he loves to switch to bait with same outfit when the lures are not producing.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 13, 2019, 07:35:46 PM
So I will practice the fg knot and use that for my braid to flouro leader. What knot do you recommend for tying my flouro leader to a lure clip or lure? Never used fluoro before and it feels quite stiff 
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: brucec on October 14, 2019, 09:33:08 AM
I have a 1-4 oz Franklyn & Loomis and mostly use a 3oz sinker with bait.I have had no problems either.Caught small bronze whaler pups and kob on it at Jeffries bay.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: FishStyx on October 14, 2019, 11:37:44 AM
So I will practice the fg knot and use that for my braid to flouro leader. What knot do you recommend for tying my flouro leader to a lure clip or lure? Never used fluoro before and it feels quite stiff


I use a figure 8... After destructive testing of many, I've found it to be excellent. I do make a third turn though. The only clip I use is a Swannel or a split ring and swivel. For your best lure action, especially when fishing light, do a Rapala knot (non-slip loop) directly to your lure.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Sean83 on October 14, 2019, 11:54:41 AM
So I will practice the fg knot and use that for my braid to flouro leader. What knot do you recommend for tying my flouro leader to a lure clip or lure? Never used fluoro before and it feels quite stiff


I use a figure 8... After destructive testing of many, I've found it to be excellent. I do make a third turn though. The only clip I use is a Swannel or a split ring and swivel. For your best lure action, especially when fishing light, do a Rapala knot (non-slip loop) directly to your lure.


Thanks. I like the Mustad fastach clips for quick changing of spoons
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: JeandlH on October 14, 2019, 01:40:07 PM
I have a 1-4 oz Franklyn & Loomis and mostly use a 3oz sinker with bait.I have had no problems either.Caught small bronze whaler pups and kob on it at Jeffries bay.
Does it handle 1.5-2 oz lures fine as well? Think I'm leaning towards the 11 or 12ft 1.5-4oz rod to use as an allrounder rod for lures and bait.
Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Kes on October 15, 2019, 12:53:38 PM
Will do. I don't have any 3 oz lures yet I think my heaviest is a 2.5 oz gt ice cream but I will get some more

For local conditions 1.5 - 2 oz spoons and plugs are probably the best option to use and cover most bases. When using 3 oz plugs in KZN the rod - reel - braid combo need to be such that it can handle trouble, which is what one will hook on 3 oz, mostly big kingies! Your 3 oz rod will also be very nice for 7” plastics. On 1.5 oz jigheads the weight of the lure will be 70 - 80 g.
The reason I asked if it would handle a 3oz weight is to find out if it could handle a small sinker and bait for scratching or fishing in the surf when the fish aren't biting on lures.

The rod will handle bait fishing. You could go with a 3oz sinker and a small chokka bait and cast it miles..

Title: Re: Rod advise
Post by: Torpedo Jack on January 31, 2022, 02:22:51 PM


Quote
I will probably do some light scratching too so will let you know





Hey Sean!

It's about time for a fishing report! How are you enjoying the L&F Archipelago STX? I recently acquired mine, although I have not had the opportunity to fish it yet. It was recommended to me by a fishing buddy who is psycho. He says it's the only rod he has not been able to break (yet). Can't wait to try it out.


What are your thoughts on it?


Mike
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal