ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: PatrickH on August 10, 2019, 05:30:05 PM
-
Hi Guys. Have just arrived for a week at Umhlanga Sands.
Just a few questions as I don't know the area.There are a few holes in front of the resort.
My thought was iron candy,onda ondas,some chase spoons, kingfisher 1V, Abu Toby and a few other cape tail spinners.
Perhaps some drop shot paddle tails and bucktail jigs.
The idea is to try for an hour or two before breakfast.
Any pointers would be most welcome. Am fishing with stradic 5000 and 9 ft spinning rod.
Many thanks
-
Some pics
-
I'm no expert but I would start at the Umhlanga lighthouse and walk south towards Durban, spinning along the way. You should be able to pick up shad, kingies and wave garrick. If you keen, go to Virginia Beach/Beachwood and spin there. Just keep your eyes open at Virginia/Beachwood though if you decide to go as it's not the safest place I feel. I'd rather fish at Umhlanga if I was concerned about safety. Umdloti is also another safer option. Go to north Beach at Umdloti and spin off the rocks there.
Good luck and let us know if you get anything
-
My choice of spoons would be the KF V1, Toby & Iron candies so early in the morning.
You will most definitely land plenty shad, maybe some kingies & pompanos as Emjay said. Shad should be in abundance in that area.
Not that the other lures will not yield success, but those would be my preference with the ondas & dropshot later in the morning or late afternoon.
-
Patrick hi, you can contact me on 082 820 0695, I can give you a few pointers for the area, Peter
-
Thanks so much guys for the pointers. I will definitely give you a call Peter
There appears to be a little confusion about non fishing areas as the beach entrance 100m to the north of Umhlanga sands has a no fishing sign whereas the entrance 100m to the South has no such sign.
I fished this area for an hour before dark but the water was very messy on the low tide but it seems to have flattened out a little this morning.Will try later today
Thanks again and have a Blessed day
-
Had a great week at Umhlanga. Only ended up with 1 elf on the spin but had a number of great sunrises.
Thanks again for all the replies especially Pete who
gave me some great pointers. Will post pics when I get home as I can't reduce them on my phone
Till our next session.
-
Nice going, at least you caught a shad & got pointers from a friend.
-
Amazing sunrises... Priceless