ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Adams on August 08, 2019, 07:43:17 PM
-
Hello all.
I am using the Mustad Fastach clip directly
on my line.
The lures I have is
GT Ice Cream Flat Face
Sea Iron Sea Sprat
CID Couta Missile
list] A brass/copper S-Bend (think it's a Kingfisher brand)
When do you use swivels before the split rings on the lures? :dunno:
Is there a general rule?
Or should one attach a swivel to the line before the Fastach clip?
-
Swivel not necessary, the clip is ;)
-
I use a power swivel onto a Swanel clip ( looks like a paper clip) then the lure. No spit rings.
-
Hey Adams!
I find the Mustad Fastach to be fantastic lure clips. I have them in size 1,2, and 3 for my different rigs. Quick, easy and not too expensive. Since they allow free movement of the lure, you can tie a good solid knot (such as the capstan knot) to it, and then simply switch the lures as you find the pattern for the day. Repeatedly tying loop knots in the leader (especially when finding the pattern) is a waste of time, and not my idea of fun! Also, it shortens the leader to the point that you need to replace it after 5 or 6 lures.
There are new ones available with a built-in swivel, but I would only consider them for lures which tend to spin in the water. The less hardware and fewer joints I have, the happier I am!
Enjoy your Fastach clips!
P.S. I have attached a pic for those who don't know what these look like...
Mike
-
I hate those Mustad fastach lure clips. Lost two 3/4oz GT icecreams and a Rapala Skitter V while casting. The clips literally bent open, sending the lures flying into the bushes. Switched to swannel clips and haven't had a single days problems, and they are way easier to attach.
-
Wow!
Pity about that! I've had only good results! Do you think you got a bum batch, where the heat treatment was improperly done, and the wire was soft? it would be interesting to hear your take.
Mike
-
When a tunny or jumbo leerie grabs your plug, you know your swannel clip is not going to open..Neither do his oval rings ever open on you..LOL mustad make top hooks, mainly what I use, but their oval rings are NOT in the same league as the homegrown ones. On same note their kaiju inline singles are only good for lighter stuff, their bigger sizes will open up on big fish. Landed 25 kg longfin on the light rig before with small swannel ovals and light clips and there was never a stress about them failing..was more worried about the battle along reel giving in, which it did the next session on a little katonkel!
The Swannel bro's catch and chase proper fish themselves, where if the equipment would fail, on those fish it would..they have also been doing it for a long time and are part of the old guard, if the gear could be improved, it would have been long before most of us picked up a rod. Every old hand in the game uses their gear, without exception, of the tunny that were landed last year from the side as opposed to the 20 lost..I'd bet every one or at very least 2/3 of them were landed with swannel clips and oval rings..But I shouldnt be telling everyone this, should leave everyone to clips that will fail, split rings that deform when big fish turn and twist and branded store stuff that will fail them, and them more ous will give up and the rocks will start to get quieter again LOL! But ja the amount of fish I see lost by everyone jumping in with the wrong gear..hahaha been down that road. But the swannel stuff is tops, plugs, clips, rings etc..and you are supporting local..and the imports are inferior anyway.
-
Wow!
Pity about that! I've had only good results! Do you think you got a bum batch, where the heat treatment was improperly done, and the wire was soft? it would be interesting to hear your take.
Mike
Whats the biggest fish you have landed on one without deformation? Just curious, never used those although seen them on the shelves. I use what I trust though so never tried them as I make sure I always have a stash of what I use spare.
-
Hey, VIS!
Haven't landed stuff big enough to truly test the gear out, so I can't say for sure that the clips will take a beating. I just found it strange to hear that the clips opened up on casting. I cast up to 2oz lures at full tilt and the clips don't budge. So let me say this: "Whilst casting, I've never had a failure. When catching - I'll have to wait and see!"
Mike
-
Been using the Fastach clips exclusively for a few years and have never had one fail. Catches include a 6kg Speckled Snapper and a big 4.5kg Cock Grunter. When spinning, I only use them. User friendly, easy to change lures. The Swannels are excellent as well, but not as easy to use as the Fastach clips.
-
Swannel, Swannel and Swannell clips. And pack the swivels away. No need for them.
-
Swannel, Swannel and Swannell clips. And pack the swivels away. No need for them.
Hi Steenie. Any particular knot you prefer to attach the swannell clip to your flouro?
-
Swannel, Swannel and Swannell clips. And pack the swivels away. No need for them.
Hi Steenie. Any particular knot you prefer to attach the swannell clip to your flouro?
Not as experienced as Steenie,but I use a dbl figure of 8 knot... :clwn
-
Swannel, Swannel and Swannell clips. And pack the swivels away. No need for them.
Hi Steenie. Any particular knot you prefer to attach the swannell clip to your flouro?
Not as experienced as Steenie,but I use a dbl figure of 8 knot... :clwn
Thanks Lofty. I'll give it a try.
-
Fig 8 knot is the preferred knot... to any terminal tackle
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=82.0
-
Fig 8 knot is the preferred knot... to any terminal tackle
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=82.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=82.0)
Thank you. Always appreciate the help on these forums. I'm forever re-reading these threads and always pick up something new that I've missed.
-
Yep those swannel clips , when I see them somewhere , I buy the lot ....
My boet in law , gave me a few in the early in the new millennium .
Since them I have never had one failed .
Plenty of river fish and harbour bound spinning but from the boat ,
No GTS for me , but yellowfin up to 24 kg ,
Plenty of yellowtail up to 12 kg .
Well worth it , recently saw the same clips rebranded .