ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Sting Ray on July 11, 2019, 02:18:29 PM

Title: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: Sting Ray on July 11, 2019, 02:18:29 PM
Hi Guys

I need some help please. I'm looking at getting some GT icecream plugs and CID spoons/lures.

Please advise which are the best colours and sizes to get or colours that are proven to work. Don't want to buy colours that don't work. No use having a lure collection and most of them are unessecary. :dunno:

I will be throwing them on 11ft 1-4oz Sensation Caspian and a 11 foot 1.5 - 4oz  Loomis Archipelago rods. Targeting shad /Garrick/ kingies from shore.

I read that the Pretator plugs are deadly, however i cannot find shops that sell them online.

One more thing. Does anyone have a loomis Archipelago, is this rod capable of pulling Kingfish. I bought this rod 3 weeks ago. Only caught Shad with it, however it feels a bit soft. I'm not sure that i made the right choice. I never caught a kingie or Garrick so i dont know. :-(

Many Thanks

Sring Ray

Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: BJR on July 11, 2019, 07:16:57 PM
Hi there Sting Ray....


As far as the L & F Archipelago rod goes, I dont think you need to worry about the rod you bought.
I am no fundi on rod composition, but myself bought 2 older models of the Archipelago,  nl 10ft HMG range, as I was told they worth their money double in price & will most defn deliver the goods.
One I have sent off for alterations on the reelseat to lower it as I am not & have never been a lover nor gr8 user of the extended butt section.
But to come back to the blank....I was told that it the Archipelago rod was a known brand & will most defn deliver. (Dont know if it is/was a trade secret)
Must say I am a sucker at times & got 2 of the older models.

I just do not know if the newer models the XHMG are of the same brand, but suppose they are.
Lets see what those in the know say.
Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: garrickhunter on July 11, 2019, 07:23:52 PM
hi stingray, these archipelago rods are great and good value.They will handle your target species
Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: REEFMAN on July 12, 2019, 07:57:21 AM
https://www.basilmanning.co.za/overview-of-gt-ice-cream-plugs-14-june-2012-274.html (https://www.basilmanning.co.za/overview-of-gt-ice-cream-plugs-14-june-2012-274.html)
Overview of GT Ice creams from the Master himself.
Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: Sting Ray on July 12, 2019, 09:57:23 AM
Thank you for the feedback on the rod and the Lures guys. Much appreciated.

Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: Steenie on July 14, 2019, 09:27:31 PM
Pink and green glow CID couta casting no 2 spoons. Simply cannot go wrong with them. GT Icecream plugs - 1.5 oz white flat face for choppy conditions and the 2 oz needlenose in glow or squid colour.
Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: Sting Ray on August 05, 2019, 09:58:42 PM
Thanks for the reply Steenie. Have u tried the shiver stick?
Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: REEFMAN on August 06, 2019, 01:46:19 PM
The Daiwa SW Minnow is a much better casting lure than the Shiverstick. They're the same weight but the Daiwa model is just better weighted to cast.
Title: Re: GT ICECREAM AND CID SPOONS
Post by: Sting Ray on August 06, 2019, 09:45:04 PM
Thanks Reefman.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal