ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Conservation and Ethics => Topic started by: John F on May 14, 2019, 10:42:08 AM

Title: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: John F on May 14, 2019, 10:42:08 AM
Long but very interesting read... especially the release after a long battle being better than a short one ...

https://openbow.org/2019/05/13/ask-a-pro-8-are-your-released-tuna-surviving-we-ask-the-pros/
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: CRANKMAN on May 14, 2019, 11:42:17 AM
Interesting indeed, and encouraging for us smaller built anglers who can't winch a big fish in at high speed. I always felt a little guilty for the time it took me to land a fish, seems this was better in the end.
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: John F on May 14, 2019, 12:23:43 PM
Looks like the secret is to allow the fish extra recovering time.... 
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: REEFMAN on May 14, 2019, 12:49:51 PM
That's really interesting...
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: John F on May 14, 2019, 01:21:09 PM
I wonder if this would be equally applicable to  small and large mass fish such as tuna and bills...  :dunno:
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: colin on May 14, 2019, 04:46:45 PM
 :win: :tkx:  another interesting post  :bow: :bow: :toppie:
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: FishStyx on May 14, 2019, 05:57:09 PM
Excellent article. Thanks for sharing. I get so cranky when I see videos of people landing Geets by dragging them over the gunnel and whacking their heads on the deck while hi 5 ing their mates  :unhap :unhap :unhap


I can see myself ending up never taking trophy release fish out of the water. Just a pic over the side of the boat will do me fine.
Title: Re: Fish survival post-release....
Post by: Marthin on May 15, 2019, 12:33:33 PM
excellent article... I shared it on the one Facebook group as well, did mention it's from here.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal