ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Homie on October 14, 2010, 12:27:38 PM

Title: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 14, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
Howsit guys,


I just got the Daiwa Seagate 3500  :happ:  to pair up with my 9ft Excellor.


What 20lb braid would you recommend ??? And pricing please ?


 :tkx:
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 14, 2010, 12:33:09 PM
That sounds like a lekker set up Homie!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 14, 2010, 01:16:45 PM
Hi Homie,

I got myself some jigman in 30bl and I can tell you that it is going to take alot to change over to anything else. Dont ask how thick the stuff is, I can tell you that it is thinner then Sultiga braid. It is very pricy at about R600 for 300m.

Just remember that if you are using the reel for spinning then you have to have it setup so that the coning on the spool with the braid is correct.

Hope this will help you.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: strandloper on October 14, 2010, 01:36:16 PM
HI Homie,

Viper braid. Different colour even 10 m.

I managed to get 300m onto at Sustain 5000, so reasonably thin and about R 450 for a 300m spool last time I bought!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Poenskop on October 14, 2010, 04:53:25 PM
Hi Homie,

I got myself some jigman in 30bl and I can tell you that it is going to take alot to change over to anything else. Dont ask how thick the stuff is, I can tell you that it is thinner then Sultiga braid. It is very pricy at about R600 for 300m.

Just remember that if you are using the reel for spinning then you have to have it setup so that the coning on the spool with the braid is correct.

Hope this will help you.

How do how do that?
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Poenskop on October 14, 2010, 04:55:43 PM
I am going to load 300m of 20lb whiplash and then use 125m of 10lb fireline as topshot.  Do you guys think I should rather use 14lb Fireline as topshot?
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 14, 2010, 05:04:58 PM
Thanks guys !!! Will have a look at these braids as well.

Louis, the coning is the way the braid lies on the spool, whether  its more full at the top, or at the bottom.
For braid, it needs to be slightly fuller at the top.
WRT the fireline, what you gonna target ? Id say 10lb is too light. Do you have 20lb whiplash ???

My ideal setup on this, would be 20lb whiplash, and a 4m or so piece of 50lb braid stitched onto it as a leader of sorts, then a 1m normal fluoro leader.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Poenskop on October 14, 2010, 05:26:44 PM
My sister in law brought me 300m of 20lb whiplash crystal from the UK. http://www.harrissportsmail.com/ (http://www.harrissportsmail.com/)
I am looking to target Garrick, smallish kingys and shad with that outfit.(Berkley Air and Seagate3500) I've got the 6000 Sustain when the big boys are about.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Poenskop on October 14, 2010, 05:31:21 PM
I think the Blackfin guys used a Berkley Air, Stradic 4000 and 10lb fireline to catch that 23kg kingy in that dropshot dvd of theirs. So it can be done :dunno:
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 14, 2010, 05:55:11 PM
Dont doubt it can be done, but I'd rather have a 9mm than a .22
 :hnthnt:
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: REEFMAN on October 14, 2010, 06:01:57 PM
mY favourite is Berkley Tracer Braid... also coloured per 10m... nice stuff. Had a look at some Kingfisher Bonded Casting braid on Craig's reel the other day, looks and feels very much like the old fused Fireline - glossy and slippery... and probably half the price of the others?
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 14, 2010, 06:28:38 PM
Poenskop

When you get a Shimano reel you get a set of washers in the box with it, you are suposed to put them on the shaft of the reel to adjust the hight of te reel. This will change the way the braid fills the spool.

If your braid is shaped like a icecream cone it means that the reel is filling up to much at the top this will restrict your casting. If it is like a upside down cone then it fills up to much at the bottom and this intails to much line comming of the spool and causing wind knots.

If you go to the shimano website and look at the instruction manual on the spinning reels it would explain better then I can.

Hope this helps.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Action Man on October 14, 2010, 06:34:17 PM
Thanks guys !!! Will have a look at these braids as well.

Louis, the coning is the way the braid lies on the spool, whether  its more full at the top, or at the bottom.
For braid, it needs to be slightly fuller at the top.
WRT the fireline, what you gonna target ? Id say 10lb is too light. Do you have 20lb whiplash ???

My ideal setup on this, would be 20lb whiplash, and a 4m or so piece of 50lb braid stitched onto it as a leader of sorts, then a 1m normal fluoro leader.

Incorrect bru...must be level!!

Being to full on the top will slow the cast down and could lead to wind knots...Much better if the braid is filled level from top to bottom!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Action Man on October 14, 2010, 06:36:30 PM
Would also look at the new HMP braid is very nice stuff and not expensive either...

But if you want the best casting braid then 30lb jigman is the stuff to go with...ask Frits I spooled his reel not to long ago with the stuff and I can see he is very pleased...whcih makes me happy! lol
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Action Man on October 14, 2010, 06:40:51 PM
Thanks guys !!! Will have a look at these braids as well.

Louis, the coning is the way the braid lies on the spool, whether  its more full at the top, or at the bottom.
For braid, it needs to be slightly fuller at the top.
WRT the fireline, what you gonna target ? Id say 10lb is too light. Do you have 20lb whiplash ???

My ideal setup on this, would be 20lb whiplash, and a 4m or so piece of 50lb braid stitched onto it as a leader of sorts, then a 1m normal fluoro leader.

Bru you need to come spend a couple days on the coast with me so I can teach you how to fish koz what you wanting to do is so fong kong!!! You reading some rubbish else where and wanting to try it out...dont wate your time with a 50lb stiched leader then this and that....tie you small piece of flouro straight to your braid and when I say small piece MAXIMUM 3/4 of a meter...you do not want that knot anywhere near your guides must be out the guides when casting at all times!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 14, 2010, 06:42:14 PM
Shot Stef

I have had that reel on two full day outings and the braid still looks the same as the day you put it on for me. Not one knot and it goes like a bullit.

My big reel will get the same braid.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Action Man on October 14, 2010, 06:57:03 PM
Shot Stef

I have had that reel on two full day outings and the braid still looks the same as the day you put it on for me. Not one knot and it goes like a bullit.

My big reel will get the same braid.

No no...with the big reel you must put the JigMan 50lb 8X...Be carefull not to put the 4X as it is slightly thicker!

But I know you will come to me with that so I will put the right stuff on for you!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 14, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
Incorrect bru...must be level!!

Stef, thats what I thought, but as per the leaflet for the Seagate it says that for braid it needs to load more from the top  :dunno:

Bru you need to come spend a couple days on the coast with me so I can teach you how to fish koz what you wanting to do is so fong kong!!! You reading some rubbish else where and wanting to try it out...dont wate your time with a 50lb stiched leader then this and that....tie you small piece of flouro straight to your braid and when I say small piece MAXIMUM 3/4 of a meter...you do not want that knot anywhere near your guides must be out the guides when casting at all times!
Casting  2 ounce the entire day with 20lb Whiplash can be nasty on the finger, the stiched 50lbs is slightly thicker, so easier on them. purely for ease of casting, not really for abrasion or anything else.
As for the leader, you have seen the eyes on the Excellor, it most definitily HAS to be outside the eyes !
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: MIKE PIKE on October 14, 2010, 08:45:41 PM
Homie , what i did when i spooled Saltiga was put the braid on evenly on the spool(Daiwa also supply washers/spacers to raise or lower the spool on the shaft which will have an effect on how the braid lies on the spool, they recommend to pack it on evenly) ..then i did the 7 turn uni / fig 8 with the braid to leader ,then snipped off the leader so that the join is outside the last eye on tip, but like u say its heavy on the casting finger with 30 lb braid all day, splicing in the thicker braid to save the finger is a good idea but then u have more joins to worry about .. :dunno:   
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 14, 2010, 09:08:25 PM
Shot Mike,
Also gonna spool it evenly, adn if i have a hassle, then will see !
Not too stressed about the splice, dont think it will be a weak spot ! Else I'll just use a plaster on the finger !
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 14, 2010, 10:46:46 PM
Homie

Try using some electrical tape, I have found that the braid slips of your finger much easier and the stuff is cheaper then plasters.

I am forever loosing the plaster after a while of casting.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 15, 2010, 08:35:01 AM
Thanks Fritz !
Makes sense !
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: MIKE PIKE on October 15, 2010, 08:40:58 AM
I guess the answer here would be to get one of those bionic fingers.. the ones that do all the work for you .. ??  :hnthnt:   :hnthnt:
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 15, 2010, 08:43:28 AM
Mike, I dont like that. Takes the "personal" feel away somehow !
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Poenskop on October 15, 2010, 09:01:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation Fritz.  :tkx:
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: travelmember on October 15, 2010, 09:14:46 AM
Nice outfit - I have exactly the same that is used for yellowtail spinning / plugging off of the boat. I use PowerPro green, 30lb, with a double palomar direct to a 60lb power link swivel, then 1 metre of 50lb flouro. Can get 65m with a snake off a rocking boat. As for the fingers, fish more often and you don't feel it. Try and stay away from knots going through the eyes - it will cause you hassles. When you have the fish boiling and the bite is on, you do not want to be tying knots and stitching.
For the record, 30lb Power pro has a straight break of 41lbs. The double palomar is tested at 77% = 31lb. The Seagate QD has 12kgs max with personalised washers - in theory everything should hold.
As for spooling, I have found that the tapered spool (coning) gives more wind knots.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 15, 2010, 09:52:34 AM
Thanks Travel !!!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 15, 2010, 10:01:52 AM
Shoty guys

The bionic finger works very well with the heavier spoons and plugs, but I must add that it does become a hasle after a while, I think the finger method has been breed into us. On the other hand the rest of the guys on the beach will look at you as if you are a bit of a poefter.

Homie could you please explain the splicing of the braid, I would like to give it a shot.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Skaap Tjop on October 16, 2010, 12:59:21 PM
Wrong quote
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Skaap Tjop on October 16, 2010, 01:00:57 PM
Poenskop

When you get a Shimano reel you get a set of washers in the box with it, you are suposed to put them on the shaft of the reel to adjust the hight of te reel. This will change the way the braid fills the spool.

If your braid is shaped like a icecream cone it means that the reel is filling up to much at the top this will restrict your casting. If it is like a upside down cone then it fills up to much at the bottom and this intails to much line comming of the spool and causing wind knots.

If you go to the shimano website and look at the instruction manual on the spinning reels it would explain better then I can.

Hope this helps.

Problem sloved...

Thank you very much, have some cred.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 18, 2010, 07:12:11 AM
Thanks Skaap Tjop. Only glad if I could help.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 18, 2010, 08:44:26 AM
Homie could you please explain the splicing of the braid, I would like to give it a shot.


Fritz, have a look here,
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,74.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,74.0.html)


Same principle, just "stitch" bothe into each other.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Fritz on October 18, 2010, 09:12:48 AM
Thanks Homie

Will give it a go tonight at home.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Andre Laas on October 18, 2010, 09:26:38 AM
Howzit Homie

Just to add more variables to your decision.......

Since JJ from Kingfisher introduced me to Mustad Ultrabraid, my fishing experiance with braid have just been a pleasure, and I have it on all my spinning reels now, fresh and saltwater. I it quite thin for its breaking strain, and is not coated, but it is competitively priced, and I am extremely happy with it. Just my 2c on braid fro spinning.

As for the Bionic finger.... spent quite a bit on buying it, and having it fitted to my rod... just to have to remove it.... it just caused me frustrations, and like was said... maybe I am just too the control I have using my finger. The bionic finger was too insensitive to my liking. I just use "cloth-type" plasters on my fingers if casting heavy spoons on thin braid. One thing that also helps with casting braid is to have your drag fairly tight so that there is no slipping during the cast, but the problem with that is that I will probably be in trouble once I hook into that big GT that I have been chasing! Again, that is just my experiences with these things.


As for leaders, I am with Action man on the fact that the knot must get no-where near the rod guides. I tried using a thicker section of braid stitched on as a casting leader, but my experiance was that I was just loosing distance that way.

I guess it is an ongoing learning process to find what works for you as individual,  but the experimentation can cost a lot! Good luck with the new set-up...it sounds like a great combo!
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on October 18, 2010, 09:35:38 AM
Andre, Cred to you !

Thanks man. Well, if the extra higher lb braid is just gonna hamper casting, then I'l leave it out.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Gerhard on October 18, 2010, 12:11:17 PM
Homie,

Listen to Andre and Steff...

I used my 8000 Stradic with 55lbs Saltiga on my 9ft Ugly Stick xxh to cast upto 2 ounch spoons.

The finger takes a beating after 30 min of casting.

I still want to buy mountain bike gloves. I have seen reports that the gloves work great to protect your finger when it comes to casting with braid.

My next reel will be a Shimano Stradic 6000 and I will load it with 20lbs Saltiga braid....  w;k
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: haakies on January 14, 2011, 04:13:31 PM
Hello Gents

If you having trouble with your cast finger may I suggest getting yourself a golf glove. I use the Footjoy Raingrip right handed glove.
This is a synthetic glove that is made to get wet. Leather will not work.
Costs about R 100 and will last if you just rinse the salt out with fresh water and let it dry. Fish in Oz for 3 weeks straight using only one
glove. You can cut the other figures off if you like. Much cheaper that many of the other glove alternatives. Plaster always tends to come
loose.

A little useless advice from your local golf pro.

Regards
Anton
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: REEFMAN on January 14, 2011, 04:22:23 PM
Hello Gents

If you having trouble with your cast finger may I suggest getting yourself a golf glove. I use the Footjoy Raingrip right handed glove.
This is a synthetic glove that is made to get wet. Leather will not work.
Costs about R 100 and will last if you just rinse the salt out with fresh water and let it dry. Fish in Oz for 3 weeks straight using only one
glove. You can cut the other figures off if you like. Much cheaper that many of the other glove alternatives. Plaster always tends to come
loose.

A little useless advice from your local golf pro.

Regards
Anton

Great tip Anton... think I need to open my golf bag which hasn't been used in 22 years....
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: G!enn on January 14, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
@ Homie

Personally I would go with this one.. its the one I use for carp and pike.. Mine is 50lbs tho.. very thin dia.

Berkley Whiplash Pro Green .. 300 yrds on sale over here for £21.99 - R12 to £1
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: haakies on January 17, 2011, 08:08:41 AM
There is another braid that is worth trying. It is the Jerry Brown Solid Braid. I just bought
a few spools and paid R 210 for 300m of 20 and 30 lbs. I have not fished it yet but it feels
very good. I suppose time will tell. At that price it is worth the experiment.

Regards
Anton
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on January 17, 2011, 08:18:48 AM
Anton,
Thanks for the tip !

I eventually got the Whiplash !
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Proppie on March 03, 2011, 10:57:39 AM
Sorry for the Hijack   - I have a Daiwa Exceller 902xxh rod with Daiwa Exceller 3000 +Reel with 30 lb Whiplash 0.12mm and I use a leader 12 ft Double Ex Flurocarbon 30 lb. I reaplaced the small eyes on rod with bigger eyes so the leader knot runs smooth. I think there is about 350 to 400 m of whiplash on the reel.  The leader is to heavy but better on the finger and here in the Western Cape I fish alot between Rocks and Gulleys for Galjoen, Bream, Cob.
I still do not get enough distance on the casting, maybe someone can give some help.

Hope all this help.
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on March 03, 2011, 11:34:14 AM
Sorry for the Hijack   - I have a Daiwa Exceller 902xxh rod with Daiwa Exceller 3000 +Reel with 30 lb Whiplash 0.12mm and I use a leader 12 ft Double Ex Flurocarbon 30 lb. I reaplaced the small eyes on rod with bigger eyes so the leader knot runs smooth. I think there is about 350 to 400 m of whiplash on the reel.  The leader is to heavy but better on the finger and here in the Western Cape I fish alot between Rocks and Gulleys for Galjoen, Bream, Cob.
I still do not get enough distance on the casting, maybe someone can give some help.

Hope all this help.


 :welc: :welc: :welc:


What weight are you casting ???
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Proppie on March 03, 2011, 11:47:08 AM
ut to 2.5 oz lure, sometimes I use bait aswell on this outfit  then I use a 1 oz clip on sinker with bait, so I think it will then add up to 3 oz, Tjokka, Redbait, Mussel, Prawn, Pilchard

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=317638&id=610089922&l=a0fc8f951e (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=317638&id=610089922&l=a0fc8f951e)

Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: Homie on March 03, 2011, 12:25:50 PM
The Excellor 902 rod is rated up to 2 ounce,  this might be the issue.

Try a longer drop. Hope this helps
Title: Re: What 20lb Braid ???
Post by: super_daav on March 03, 2011, 04:39:20 PM
Saltiga Surf or Triple Fish Gator - Nice setup there Homie!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal