ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Ninja on March 14, 2018, 11:43:06 AM
-
So the weather in Durban has been a bit skew lately with crazy winds and tides making conditions very different. My mate and I have been trying a lot lately and last week he caught this little kob on the north bank at Blue Lagoon. I was surprised that it was caught in daylight hours - about 14:00 in the afternoon. Also my bru was using a mussel and bay squid combo and the sea was very rough with lots of sand. I spent most of that session sorting out my braid which was tangled beyond belief. Al in all a decent mission as its been a while since either of us has caught anything decent.
How has the angling been for everyone here else lately? Whats coming out where you are fishing? Just curious.
:tite
-
Nice one! Just a question... where the heck did you get Bay Squid bait from? Haven't seen it for sale in 10 years! Deadliest bait ever!
-
Nice one! Just a question... where the heck did you get Bay Squid bait from? Haven't seen it for sale in 10 years! Deadliest bait ever!
Eish, jammer. Its was Adcan baby squid. Very effective indeed. I've only caught undersize with it though.
-
Ah ok. Big diffs between Bay Squid and Baby squid... given up fishing with baby squid, I rather use Chokka.
-
yeah, we use a variety of bait - squid, chokka, pillies, jap mack, prawn, cracker, occie leg - you name it. Its been very slow in Durban lately though. Tons of tiny shad and other peckers. .. Got a small puffer on my metalloid lol
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
-
I am going fishing this weekend and will report back on Monday. :hnthnt:
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
Jap Mack is deadly for Shad.(mix it with sardine when the shad are fussy or full jap fillet if they are not feeding) Only other thing Ive caught with it is big blacktail.
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
Just so I've got this right jap macks = chub mackerel; sugar macks = indian mackerel?
-
Ah ok. Big diffs between Bay Squid and Baby squid... given up fishing with baby squid, I rather use Chokka.
I don't think I've ever had a bite with baby squid either. although I have seen my brother pull out two +-5kg pompano from right underneath me in blue lagoon with a mix of sea-lice and baby squid. <: swr
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
Just so I've got this right jap macks = chub mackerel; sugar macks = indian mackerel?
No , jap mackerel = pacific saury and sugar mackerel= chub mackerel
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
Reefs my mate caught a tiny kingy at south pier many moons ago on jap mack strips, and i got a few very small blacktails on the same. When fresh the skin is a lot tougher than pilchards/ sards and the oil is a bonus too.
-
I am going fishing this weekend and will report back on Monday. :hnthnt:
Nice ! Looking forward to hearing all about it.
-
Ah ok. Big diffs between Bay Squid and Baby squid... given up fishing with baby squid, I rather use Chokka.
I don't think I've ever had a bite with baby squid either. although I have seen my brother pull out two +-5kg pompano from right underneath me in blue lagoon with a mix of sea-lice and baby squid. <: swr
Baby squid and prawn combo has worked for us from time to time - no decent catches though. My bru actually found the mussels washed up in a ball of rope and seaweed that he use in the combo with the baby squid for that kob. Interesting you mentioned pompano - saw a guy throwing drift trace at lugs/ beechwood for pommies over the last weekend.
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
Just so I've got this right jap macks = chub mackerel; sugar macks = indian mackerel?
Stickleback, Jap mack or pacific saury are the ones with the pointy snout and slightly slimmer body profile. Sugar macks are generally fatter and a bit rounder looking.
-
Thanks for sorting that out - there's a LOT of wrong info out there!
-
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?
Just so I've got this right jap macks = chub mackerel; sugar macks = indian mackerel?
No , jap mackerel = pacific saury and sugar mackerel= chub mackerel
The jap mackerel is also known as "pike" or "mackerel pike".
Only thing I ever caught on it is shad and blacktail. I'm gonna try it up here on my next trip to the Vaal to see if the barbel are interested..
-
Smart idea. Ive heard of guys using bloody carp heads for barbel so the mackerel should leave a good scent trail too. Let us know if it works.
-
Found this pic after some digging - caught on baby squid at Umkomaas about 2 - 3 years back.
-
:hnthnt: Interesting reading about baby squid...a few years back Im fishing with a good mate of mine , lets call him the Chairman , ...we both LOVE targeting kob and both are on the furtherest spectrums of the fishing facet range as to targeting kob...Chairman only bait and he SWEARS by bchokka ...infact its chokka for EVERYTHING!!... :hyst: ...And then there is me ...ONLY spoon for kob...
On this particuliar AM we at our local spot and we are standing about 5m apart on two seperate pinnacles with the sun just just about to break the horizon...Ive had 20 odd throws already and he has had a bait in for at least 20 odd minutes already...when he was baiting up I asked ..whats with those tiny squid/chokka???..he tunes its called baby squid and its all he could get on short notice.....I shrug and we fish...as that sun breaks I get the first rattle and then kob ON!!...land a 70cm and we are now READY!!...I get another and as I hook the third the Chairman is NOW spitting FLAME!! :hehe: ...I laugh and tune him ..reel in and put a spoon on ..he goois me some choice words and reels in as he is about ..Id say 10 or so meters from the side he goes ON...lands a lekker 80 odd cm kobbie and is all excited...as he prepares another baby squid ..I tune ..shorten your sinker trace ..go shorter and dont put a sliding swivel go three way fixed swivel...and then I tune as your casts lands take up slack and wait about 2 minutes and pull and reel...BLIKSIM!!...he lands another 4 with this method...Sooo..baby squid WORKS!!!...albeit in a lure type of fashion... :craz: