ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Fishing Reports => Topic started by: CID on October 04, 2010, 02:57:59 PM

Title: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: CID on October 04, 2010, 02:57:59 PM
Caught on saturday at boiling pot, mazeppa bay. Female Blackfin, 185 cm PCL.
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: mikesfb on October 04, 2010, 03:01:02 PM
Awesome catch, well done, any more detials? tackle, bait, fight?
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: MIKE PIKE on October 04, 2010, 03:08:09 PM
Nice catch CID , 103kg as per the tables, must have given you a solid fight.. good stuff.
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: CID on October 04, 2010, 03:10:47 PM
Tackle used , Saltist 50 with kingfisher braid and 0.52 DoubleX. Custom built 90oz rod.

2 x 10.0 kendals. One was straightened. bait was 2 x frozen shad caught during sard run.

Fish took about 500 m of string on her 1st run. 1.5 hours to land this monster.

Female black didnt jump. :ayb
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: LUPO on October 04, 2010, 03:19:41 PM
 (clap) (clap)  What a beaut!
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: strandloper on October 04, 2010, 03:37:18 PM
 (clap) (clap) (clap)

Graet Catch
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Stokstyf! on October 04, 2010, 04:47:23 PM
Awsome catch there!!! fshg
very nice tackle you've got there!
  (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Lichia amia on October 04, 2010, 05:07:41 PM
 (clap)  Impressive catch well done !!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: REEFMAN on October 04, 2010, 05:09:05 PM
What a great catch Shaun... awesome!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: SAfish on October 04, 2010, 06:00:01 PM
Great catch, well done!  (clap)
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Tuna on October 04, 2010, 08:19:30 PM
Baie nice haai, geluk
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: REEFMAN on October 05, 2010, 08:27:12 AM
CID... how have you found the KF Braid...? Has it improved - I remember there used to be lots of problems with it in the past... are you confident fishing with it now?
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Mudcrab on October 05, 2010, 08:44:44 AM
Great catch!
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: ily on October 05, 2010, 11:38:39 PM
Great catch well done!!!
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: CID on October 05, 2010, 11:59:54 PM
CID... how have you found the KF Braid...? Has it improved - I remember there used to be lots of problems with it in the past... are you confident fishing with it now?

I have had this braid loaded when I bought the reel about  5 years ago. I have caught all my sharks with this reel and braid. From my experience this braid is really strong as I have fought fish on the braid on full lock and the braid has not parted, yet!

One thing I have changed is instead of doubling the braid using a bimini, I now use the braid stitch. This was recommended by the kingfisher. I saw how easily the bimini on the braid parted but we failed to break a cats paw when the braid was doubled using the stitch.
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Tsutsuma on October 06, 2010, 03:48:07 AM
WOW - that is some Balck Fin man
Well done!!
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: REEFMAN on October 06, 2010, 07:43:42 AM
I have had this braid loaded when I bought the reel about  5 years ago. I have caught all my sharks with this reel and braid. From my experience this braid is really strong as I have fought fish on the braid on full lock and the braid has not parted, yet!

One thing I have changed is instead of doubling the braid using a bimini, I now use the braid stitch. This was recommended by the kingfisher. I saw how easily the bimini on the braid parted but we failed to break a cats paw when the braid was doubled using the stitch.

Interesting info, thanks. Have some cred!
Yup the Braid stitch is a great alternative to the Bimini in larger diameter braids... for those who want to know how, here is a tut:

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,74.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,74.0.html)
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Quickbite on October 06, 2010, 10:34:11 AM
Nice Catch -Congrats
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 06, 2010, 03:29:49 PM
Awesome Blackfin CID!!! (clap)
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: KING-GT on October 06, 2010, 04:04:21 PM
Awesome black CID! Well done
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: Sailor on October 06, 2010, 04:55:27 PM
Very nice fish there. Congrats.
I have also gone over to the braid stitch I have tested up to 35lbs on 50lb braid with a cats paw to 0.52 nylon. I quite happy with this as my drag is only about 27lb.
Title: Re: Blackfin at mazeppa
Post by: whaler on October 06, 2010, 07:59:51 PM
Nice jumping shark!!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal