ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: demon on February 13, 2016, 06:52:36 PM

Title: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 13, 2016, 06:52:36 PM
Hi, what are people using and what size??
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 13, 2016, 07:03:27 PM
one more question, can't find small inline hooks or is it the mustard big gun??
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: REEFMAN on February 13, 2016, 08:09:01 PM
Basil manning have small inline hooks. Think they are mustads or decoys. Ordered some recently.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 13, 2016, 08:15:00 PM
and what size would you use??
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: MIKE PIKE on February 13, 2016, 08:18:16 PM
Rule of thumb , the hook should be 1/3 length of  the lure you attaching it to . :Like:
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 13, 2016, 08:24:03 PM
cool....thanks
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 13, 2016, 08:53:17 PM
Just looked at the basil manning site, I wish we had that in the cape......
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: REEFMAN on February 14, 2016, 09:22:39 AM
Demon, order from them online... it will be at your doorstep withinin 2 days! Their service is brilliant! Have never waited longer than 2 days from order... Durban to JHB.

My last order was the Mustad Kaiju inlines, size 1. These fit the 1 and 1.5 oz Iron Candy's perfectly. These are the normal Mustad inlines http://basilmanning.co.za/mustad-in-line-10121np-77066.html  (http://basilmanning.co.za/mustad-in-line-10121np-77066.html)
The Kaiju's are not advertised, it seems. Just phone Verushka at Basil Manning and ask for these.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 14, 2016, 04:32:26 PM
Have a look at Somerset sports .


I use , it's a vmc hook , will post a pic , I still have the boxes somewhere .


Its basicly , a long shank , with a big eye . Is a lure hook .


They had them in 1/0 2/03/ and 4/0 . I suggest the /2 for those size plugs , with a double split ring , so that hook can turn when it has too hook n fish .
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 14, 2016, 07:55:21 PM
Nice....thanks for info.....
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 15, 2016, 09:02:38 AM
Ah ah found them .


Ps , the ones on the plugs are the 3/0 those a 3/4 ounce plugs , the pink one has caught loads loads of elf and leerie . The rust is nothing heavy keeping in mind I had this hooks on there for a couple of years , time to change them ..
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: REEFMAN on February 15, 2016, 09:29:49 AM
Here are the Mustad Kaiju's...
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: fishatic on February 15, 2016, 06:00:10 PM
was eyeing those over the weekend.
Look very nice.

Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on February 15, 2016, 06:03:05 PM
that's the one I want......
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 15, 2016, 07:54:39 PM
Ah , those one reefman has posted .


Well this is what I think , and by no means am I I affiliated , or knocking brands .
I am purely giving my opinion .


Those are excellent hooks as per reefs pic . You will find them in most sizes you're looking for .You get a similar hook , it has an open eye , so you rig it and bend close the hook eye , a gamakatsu, hook , will look for the pack .


For the smaller lures , and well for our condisions here. Where the fish , when they eat a surface lure , sometimes ,eat them short . The assist setup as per reefs tutorial is good way to start , anywhere , and assist with distance .


Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Cage on February 16, 2016, 08:37:37 AM
my 2c - no need for in-lines on plugs - tie your own assists using VMC jigging assists or mustad big guns or daiichi hooks and kevlar cord or go split ring to swivel to split ring (instead of kevlar for elf) to the hook.....
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Steenie on February 22, 2016, 04:31:28 PM
I really like the Mustad Kaiju's inline hooks. They stay sharp long, they are easy to sharpen when they do go blunt, and they are well-priced in the context of inline hook prices.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Steenie on February 22, 2016, 04:35:42 PM
I sm also really impressed with these duratin Mustad Tarpon hooks. I use the 4/0 hooks on my couta casting spoons and the 6/0 on bulkier spoons and plugs. They really stay sharp for long and keeps the hook point well when you sharpen them up.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 22, 2016, 04:37:13 PM
Thanks steenie.
I bought a few packs , and yet to try them or ask on the forum.

Don't you think they might be a bit too heavy for eastuarie fishing?  Imo yes .
But a very nice hook . I have got as far as to rig one or two on bigger sticks .
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 22, 2016, 04:39:00 PM
Never seen those before steenie.

I just hate hook manufactures quantities . I do however like a bulk box like. 25 pack .
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Steenie on February 22, 2016, 05:39:51 PM
Jesse Schubach at The Kingfisher introduced me to these Mustad Tarpon hooks. The are absolutely brilliant hooks! My first fish on them was a hard-fighting and jumping oxeye tarpon! Also got springer, shad and snoek on them since I starter using them. Once hooked th fish seems to struggle to get that hook out of their mouths.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: REEFMAN on February 22, 2016, 05:57:52 PM
Jesse Schubach at The Kingfisher introduced me to these Mustad Tarpon hooks. The are absolutely brilliant hooks! My first fish on them was a hard-fighting and jumping oxeye tarpon! Also got springer, shad and snoek on them since I starter using them. Once hooked th fish seems to struggle to get that hook out of their mouths.
Agg that's ridiculous... what are the chances of catching an oxeye Tarpon in the first place... but on a "Tarpon" hook....  :rotfl
Ongelooflik.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: REEFMAN on February 22, 2016, 05:59:09 PM
When are Kingfisher going to have an OnLINE SHOP?????  swr
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Steenie on February 22, 2016, 06:50:30 PM
I tell you Reefz! What is the chance of that happening. I switched to the tarpon hooks the evening on my green glow couta casting no 2 spoon. Next evening I went for a spinning session at Illovo Beach. Tried a few spoons with no bites. First cast with the green glow with tarpon hook and VAS with oxeye tarpon!!! Hahahaha!
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 22, 2016, 07:20:39 PM
Leker fish . Lekke thread .

Those courta spoons just have not taken off this side . Most prob  , the lack of our fast moving fishies.
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Steenie on February 22, 2016, 07:53:33 PM
It appears to be true, although Barry Wareham has caught a yellowtail on one in False Bay. But I heard the slimbaits and plugs have produced bigtime in Struis this year with the shad and leervis!
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: Lenny on February 22, 2016, 07:56:10 PM
It appears to be true, although Barry Wareham has caught a yellowtail on one in False Bay. But I heard the slimbaits and plugs have produced bigtime in Struis this year with the shad and leervis!
Ja, we know this from reports. And yellowtail are pretty much fast moving . We tend to be hard core and stick to the flat backs and slices on them yellowtail.

It's been better than normal , regarding leervis and elf. But the past couple of weeks hasbeen tough . Missed a biggggg kob on paddle tail a week back . Ate a havoc hard , caught me of guard .
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on March 02, 2016, 01:21:11 AM
ended up using hoodlums.....breederiver
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: REEFMAN on March 02, 2016, 01:51:54 PM
ended up using hoodlums.....breederiver

Where's the report??  (bat
Title: Re: single hooks for 1oz plugs
Post by: demon on March 02, 2016, 06:50:08 PM
Hi, it was a slow breede weekend, managed some grunter on the drift, leeries were not coming to the party, but did witness a zambie slaughter a grunter in the shallow waters. Other than that what an awesome river......
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal