ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Steenie on December 22, 2014, 03:50:56 PM

Title: Braid casting protection?
Post by: Steenie on December 22, 2014, 03:50:56 PM
Worn casting glove finger though can cause the braid to wear. Personally I took the plunge and do not use casting gloves anymore.
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: SAfish on December 22, 2014, 03:54:11 PM
After this morning's session I can feel my casting finger but it will get used to the braid.
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Steenie on December 22, 2014, 04:09:51 PM
After this morning's session I can feel my casting finger but it will get used to the braid.

Its worth the initial pain - it will soon get better. Main thing is to ALWAYS make sure the drag is tight enough. Because if there is any slipping of the braid during the cast.....you get cut!
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: SAfish on December 22, 2014, 04:34:29 PM
 :tkx: for the advice.
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Ziggy on December 22, 2014, 06:51:53 PM
After this morning's session I can feel my casting finger but it will get used to the braid.

Its worth the initial pain - it will soon get better. Main thing is to ALWAYS make sure the drag is tight enough. Because if there is any slipping of the braid during the cast.....you get cut!


I rest the braid on the tip of my finger when casting - not in the crack of the first joint - that way the braid slips off without having a chance to cut my finger. It takes getting used to - but it works for me
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Steenie on December 22, 2014, 07:26:46 PM
After this morning's session I can feel my casting finger but it will get used to the braid.

Its worth the initial pain - it will soon get better. Main thing is to ALWAYS make sure the drag is tight enough. Because if there is any slipping of the braid during the cast.....you get cut!


I rest the braid on the tip of my finger when casting - not in the crack of the first joint - that way the braid slips off without having a chance to cut my finger. It takes getting used to - but it works for me

Spot on! I also had to find the sweet spot on my finger! Hahaha! But it is great to go "bareback" with the braid! Hahaha!
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: jball7204 on December 22, 2014, 08:05:43 PM
The braid will never wear so quickly because of the casting. I spin for 2-3 hours every morning and do an inspection of the braid twice a week. I find the biggest wear comes from the very coarse sand on the steep KZN beaches right at the shore-break.

The sand is an issue, but so is salt (more long term). If it dries on the line there are crystals formed between the fibres that slowly erode them. Spray reels with fresh water after each session, don't soak. Reels with a good waterproof drag system can handle a far better and more vigorous cleansing....
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Steenie on December 22, 2014, 08:17:24 PM
The braid will never wear so quickly because of the casting. I spin for 2-3 hours every morning and do an inspection of the braid twice a week. I find the biggest wear comes from the very coarse sand on the steep KZN beaches right at the shore-break.

The sand is an issue, but so is salt (more long term). If it dries on the line there are crystals formed between the fibres that slowly erode them. Spray reels with fresh water after each session, don't soak. Reels with a good waterproof drag system can handle a far better and more vigorous cleansing....

Absolutely correct about the salt! My braid gets a fresh water treatment EVERY morning. And I keep the drag adjustment mechanism at the top of the spool well greased. I always tighten it fully before I rinse my braid under a tap of running water.
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: REEFMAN on December 22, 2014, 09:48:08 PM
I won't fish without a finger protector when casting braid. Doesn't make sense to take the chance of a ruined trip with a braid sliced finger. For the pro's, each to his own I guess, but you won't catch me without a finger guard when spinning.
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Half-Pint on December 23, 2014, 08:50:45 AM
Sliced my finger once with braid and believe me I will NEVER forget a glove again :hehe:

Some of us have office worker fingers!
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Poenie on December 23, 2014, 09:18:07 AM
I have never used a glove and been spinning with braid for years... from 8lb to 80lb, tip of the trigger finger and no issues at all. Once you find that "sweet spot" between the finger tip and first joint, you'll have no issues!
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Steenie on December 23, 2014, 09:52:42 AM
I had the privilege of spinning with Craig Thomassen on Umdoni Point early this year and my jaw dropped open when I saw he was not using a casting glove. It took me quite a while to get enough courage to chuck away my casting glove until one day when my expensive Rapala casting glove started to cause havoc with my casting timing due to the finger that got rough from use. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy the soft Gosen braid I am using casts without a glove. In my case, I find that the timing of my casts are better without a glove. But as I have mentioned earlier, the drag must never be loose enough to allow slipping of the braid during the cast - very Eina!! And I suppose it is also a matter of personal preference and maybe also the hardness of the braid one uses.
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Zak-e-Boy on December 23, 2014, 10:52:00 AM
If having sex is a pain in the b.m, you're doing it wrong. If you're burning your finger on braid with a light spinning outfit you're doing something wrong...... sry
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Ziggy on December 24, 2014, 08:37:20 PM
I have never used a glove and been spinning with braid for years... from 8lb to 80lb, tip of the trigger finger and no issues at all. Once you find that "sweet spot" between the finger tip and first joint, you'll have no issues!


 :corrct:  100%

Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: dodger on December 25, 2014, 10:06:24 AM
not a casting issue I did get my finger cut when I was slow retrieving a plastic on a bait caster and it got hit by a  :tgr:
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: deezynking on December 25, 2014, 01:36:12 PM
spinning with fireline....cuts galore...i cant take it any more  :cry:
thinking of getting the glove, currently using bionic finger, but hate the snap casting, its not smooth
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Gerhard on December 25, 2014, 04:10:19 PM
Casting exclisively with a glove...


Look at Fox mountain bike gloves last me about 6 months.


This year I spinned every Friday morning for 3-5 hours when in Saudi.


30-100lb braid


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/C9DF054F-2FC9-4B0B-8383-16DAA5A75CD2_zpsgvcdn7ga.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/C9DF054F-2FC9-4B0B-8383-16DAA5A75CD2_zpsgvcdn7ga.jpg.html)


When you load a 150g popper on 100lb braid cast after cast you need to protect your hands..


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/9EADF684-B525-4790-BF04-0111D105FA09_zpsz1ytdvhd.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/9EADF684-B525-4790-BF04-0111D105FA09_zpsz1ytdvhd.jpg.html)

Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Steenie on December 25, 2014, 04:20:19 PM
Casting exclisively with a glove...


Look at Fox mountain bike gloves last me about 6 months.


This year I spinned every Friday morning for 3-5 hours when in Saudi.


30-100lb braid


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/C9DF054F-2FC9-4B0B-8383-16DAA5A75CD2_zpsgvcdn7ga.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/C9DF054F-2FC9-4B0B-8383-16DAA5A75CD2_zpsgvcdn7ga.jpg.html)


When you load a 150g popper on 100lb braid cast after cast you need to protect your hands..


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/9EADF684-B525-4790-BF04-0111D105FA09_zpsz1ytdvhd.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/9EADF684-B525-4790-BF04-0111D105FA09_zpsz1ytdvhd.jpg.html)

Can imagine that you guys need it with the much heavier outfits - and the huge Geets as well!
Title: Re: Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
Post by: Steenie on December 25, 2014, 04:26:41 PM
The workhorse - no glove and spinning 2-3 hours per day, 5 days a week. But admittedly with only 28 - 60 g lures and soft 25 lbs Gosen braid.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal