ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: garrickhunter on November 20, 2015, 08:30:55 PM
-
Hi Guys i am new to the site and for the last couple of weeks have just been reading up the wealth of info this site has to offer.Need some help selecting a rod to tackle kob with paddletails.Fishing mostly off the bricks in Port st jhons area.Had a look at the sierra but the price scared me off.Need something that is light but has got the backbone.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance
-
Maybe this will help ?
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=20582.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=20582.0)
-
@waars die Vis Thanks mate but i am looking for a rod to pair with a sustain 500.Kents using multipliers .
-
@waars die Vis Thanks mate but i am looking for a rod to pair with a sustain 500.Kents using multipliers .
Daiwa Exceller Saltwater series?
http://kingfisher.co.za/product/daiwa-exceler-saltwater-series/ (http://kingfisher.co.za/product/daiwa-exceler-saltwater-series/)
-
will visit kings and check the rods out
-
Hi Garrickhunter. Welcome to Ultimate. :welc:
I would say the Sierra isn't all that suited to dropshotting simply because its an 11 foot rod. I much prefer using an 8 or 9 foot if your going to be looking for a dedicated drop shot rod. If you're throwing paddletails you not going to be getting great distance no matter what rod you're using so I would recommend something shorter that's easier to to work the lure with.
-
point taken dave what rod would you suggest
-
point taken dave what rod would you suggest
Check out that Exceler. It comes in 9ft.
-
I would have suggested the Blue Romance rods from Shimano but at almost R3k a pop I think thats a little on the high side. Exceler Saltwater edition would be a good bet as previously suggested in this thread. Too be honest anny 9 foot rod that is light, has good guides and can throw between 1 and 2 ounce lures who be good to go. I use a Penn Regiment 9' that has a very fast action and can thow from 1-3 ounces, although I would'nt use more than 2. I rate it highly although some day i'd like to swop out the eyes for Fuji K series. I see Shimano also has more entry priced rods like the Vengeance or the new Schimitar. These could also be worth a look, just from what Im reading about the stats. Hopefully someone else can join in with some first hand experience of their rods.
-
For me the basic rule of thumb is what ever you spent on the reel spend a minimum of the same on the rod so at 3k or so for a 5000 Sustain a 9ft Aerocast is what you need or an assain amia if you are on a budget.
-
Thanks guys.All your suggestions have been very helpful.will start looking at these rods and see what suits me best.Will keep you posted as to what i buy.By the way Cam my sustain is about 4yrs old.
-
Hi Guys friend of mine offered me his 9ft aerocast which is practically brand new at a good price so thats my new stick for the paddletails this season.Thanks for all the advice given.
-
Hi Guys just want to know im stuck in the middle of a diawa exceller elite and a assassin amia because i love to throw as far as posible and i put bait on quite often as well what rod would give me best of both worlds for spinning and throwing a sard as far as possible please assist
-
The Amia XH is rated 1.5oz; The Exceler is rated close to 4oz... big difference in the 2 as far as weight rating. Doubt you would be able to throw a sinker and Sard with an Amia? Amia was designed to throw light lures.
-
Ok and the shimano aerocast for that purpose i see the rating is 50g to 120g what do you think of if i want to throw a sard and a weight and a plug or popper or something thanx for your help
-
Aerocast is a great rod too. Think it's a lot more expensive than the Exceler?
-
But if money wasnt an option would the aerocast be perfect for the job
-
But if money wasnt an option would the aerocast be perfect for the job
I wouldn't say so. Shimano was overly ambitious with the 120g max on the SACAX33XH, I know of quite a few people who managed to break tips with larger lures. Starts feeling like a pool noodle fight beyond 60g. The price of this rod at the moment is just embarrassing, ask around or buy secondhand if your heart is set on one.
-
Take a look at the DC oval blanks and have Fishatic build you a proper rod.
I bet it will be cheaper than the aerocasts (don't hold me to that) and will be better than ANY off the shelf rod
-
I was going to suggest this, but thought it might be considered bad form / soliciting...
My 11' version will handle lures and baits and cast them to extreme distances.
When spending the sort of money that is called for when looking at the Aerocast /Exceller Elite / Saltist or indeed a custom rod - cast them 1st. A wiggle in the shop does not tell you very much. Lots of rods are over rated in terms of their casting weight ability.
I know coming to the social from Brits is a bit of a schlepp, but I will have one there and you are very welcome to give it a cast or ten.
-
Thanx for all your help guys when is the social and ill try my best to get there
-
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=21347.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=21347.0)
-
A bit late as you got your rod at a deal, nice stick! The right rod for what you/someone in that situation in a reasonable price/value is the 9'6" xxxh or 9' xxh exceller if they still make rods on those blanks or a custom made on the 10'6" oval DC blank. Much longer will be too long for working paddletails, shorter than 9' will be a schlep and you don't want a floppy rod either, look for light tip and nice solid stiff backbone. Throw small plugs off the rock points there in TK you will have a blast as the winter fish are up there now and not north yet..
-
What exacly makes the dc oval so good guys and can they make the custom rod anyway i like or how does that work
-
The oval butt section with relatively thick blank walls makes the butt section very stiff.
The tip section is softer and so offers good feel both for fishing and feeling the Rod compress when casting.
With a stiff butt, it locks up solid and any further energy applied to the Rod loads it with more energy resulting in bigger and easier distances.
Technique is important.
It can be built virtually any way you like.
What I like is that I can throw plugs from 1-3oz (I don't like heavier plugs/spoons for spinning) whilst still being quite capable of throwing a sinker and bait (not the size of your fist mind you - be sensible...)
Far enough to be very useful as a "take one Rod, a handful of lures and some chokka for a session.
-
Thats an awesom description man thank you i will def look into making use of it thanx what will the best length be for n sustain 5000 reel
-
I like it at 11', but I could build anything from 9'6" to 12'6"...
11' suits my casting style and the lures I like to fish - plugs & hard body minnows and soft plastics on 1.5-2oz jigheads.
-
Thanx Fishatic so you would say the dc oval is the best rod type you can get and can you please send me details to get in contact with you please thanx for your input
-
I'll put it like this: you would have to spend a lot more money on a blank to beat it, say CTS kind of money...
I emailed you my details, they are also free to view on my profile. What's the point of offering Rod building services and being shy to share information with the group.
Happy to chat about your, or anyone else's requirements.
Brandon
-
Thanx alot fishatic i got the details ill contact you as soon as the bank open in a monthe or 2 but ill definitely use u thanx :tkx: