ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Fishing Reports => Topic started by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 09:56:42 AM

Title: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 09:56:42 AM
Marthin and myself decided to hit a spot around the mountain in False Bay where he lost a big flat fish after a long fight. Picked him up at around 18H30. Got to the mountain and put out our slides. Yellowtail head for me and baby frigate for Marthin. I still needed to get first blood on my reel. Everything was quiet. Next moment my rod went down and my drag started ticking away. Picked up the rod and waited. Next time it pulled my rod down I gave a couple of strikes to set my 12/0 hooks. Had a short run and I thought I lost the fish. Reeled in some more line and the fish was still on. By this time Marthin was at the waters edge and when the leader got close enough he grabbed the leader and lifted the cow onto the rock. We had no measure tape with us so we used a piece of line to measure the fish. The rest of the night was quiet other than nibbles from small fish and me having a burn off from a big fish and Marthins fish that spat his hooks. Got home at 03H00 this morning and measured my piece of line. Precaudial at 1.85 meters. Could somebody please give me the weight as I am on my mobile and cant open the Sasaa or Ori tables. Thanks
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 24, 2010, 12:18:45 PM
Wow thats quite a large cow, at 1.85 meters it should be around the 30kg mark!
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: G!enn on September 24, 2010, 12:20:27 PM
Will be nice to see the photo of your catch .. well done .  (clap)

Ps .. You have posted in the wrong section .. This is FRESH WATER  :lolo:
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 12:31:55 PM
Walker I can tel you one thing. Marthin should estimate the weight as he picked the fish up. I definately dont think the fish was close to 30kgs. I have a photo of the cow on my camera but there is nothing to compare it to as the fish is lying on the rocks and I was behind the camera. Glen sorry about the wrong section post. I just clicked on fishing reports obviously in the wrong section. Admin please move.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: G!enn on September 24, 2010, 01:00:09 PM
Walker I can tel you one thing. Marthin should estimate the weight as he picked the fish up. I definately dont think the fish was close to 30kgs. I have a photo of the cow on my camera but there is nothing to compare it to as the fish is lying on the rocks and I was behind the camera. Glen sorry about the wrong section post. I just clicked on fishing reports obviously in the wrong section. Admin please move.

You have no need to say sorry lol .. just trying to help you out that's all bru.

Now get the photo up!!  :+
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 02:04:52 PM
Glenn as I said in my first post I am on my mobile. Can only load the pics on Monday.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: J-Rock on September 24, 2010, 02:45:27 PM
Sounds awesome. Can't wait to get down to false bay next week...  fshg
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: REEFMAN on September 24, 2010, 02:57:13 PM
Precaudal 1.85m Cowshark is 90kg! (SASAA)  :shk

Great catch!!!
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: G!enn on September 24, 2010, 04:16:32 PM
Glenn as I said in my first post I am on my mobile. Can only load the pics on Monday.

Temper Temper!!   :crzy

I'm just hurring the process up from your mobile ..  :resp:
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: SAfish on September 24, 2010, 04:23:52 PM
Loomis, great catch! Dit is mos hoe 'n mens 'n nuwe katrol doop.  :hehe: (clap)
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 07:34:54 PM
Precaudal 1.85m Cowshark is 90kg! (SASAA)  :shk

Great catch!!!
Tony you get two types of cow sharks. Seven and six gill. If I am not mistaken this the seven gill is close to shore and the six gill a deeper water species that grows a lot bigger. Not sure as I am not an expert on sharks.  Just had a look at ORI and SASAA and there calculations is definately wrong according to me.

Hope this pic is clear enough.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 08:42:36 PM
Loomis, great catch! Dit is mos hoe 'n mens 'n nuwe katrol doop.  :hehe: (clap)

Herman hy is nie so nuut nie. Vroulief het hom laas jaar vir my gekoop. Stel dit so dit was sy 5de keer by die water en eerste sukses.  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: steve m on September 24, 2010, 08:47:01 PM
Very nice! first cow ive heard of from that spot! :win:

I was there today and had a pickup that i hardly noticed my line just went slack but i had a look at my trace at home tonight and it was frayed can only think it was a cow???

whan where you there?
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 08:54:47 PM
Last night till this morning about 2:00
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 24, 2010, 08:58:53 PM
Steve we also had a lot of nibbles and lines going pap.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 27, 2010, 07:43:01 AM
Maybe somebody could clear this up a little. In the pic below is what we thought is pcl for cow sharks. Is this correct or not.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: REEFMAN on September 27, 2010, 08:04:54 AM
That seems right to me Janus
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 27, 2010, 08:10:48 AM
That seems right to me Janus
(bat
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: Sailor on September 27, 2010, 08:15:39 AM
Great catch Jason. Measurment seems fine. I will also be in Cape Town soon. See you there
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: Marthin on September 27, 2010, 08:49:26 AM
Hi Jason.  Sorry ou maat ek het beslis daai measurement opgeneuk.

The fish wasn't 90kg.  I caught a cow before that we weighed and it was just over 20kg.  This fish was definately broader and longer, but it wasn't 90kg, i'm not that strong.

It was male and fat, and i would say 30kg, but after royally stuffing up the measurement(eds had been in my tackle bag and the tapemeasure wasn't there), it will now be speculation.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: Marthin on September 27, 2010, 08:51:44 AM
Steve i think there are also some very big elf around.  From the way our baits looked at times when it came out.  Also the bites we were getting were those quick hard bites like an edible.  Some of the takes could have been more cows... where it takes and then just comes in and slack.  Then you tighten up and the procedure starts again.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 27, 2010, 09:03:09 AM
Just have to catch a bigger one next time Marthin.
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: Kosi Fisher on September 27, 2010, 12:34:45 PM
Actually, that is a huge cow shark...

The SASAA tables put a 185cm Cow shark at 90.1kg.....

 :ayb
Title: Re: My first cow.
Post by: JasonF on September 27, 2010, 02:44:39 PM
Actually, that is a huge cow shark...

The SASAA tables put a 185cm Cow shark at 90.1kg.....

 :ayb

Hi Kosi if you look at Marthins post on the first page it will give you an idee of what the weight was. We stuffed up the measurement somehow. That cow was definately not 90kg's.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal