ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on June 02, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
-
Hi guys, apologies for the delay, been a bit overloaded at work. Anyways myself and 9 others made the trip to Dullstroom on the 20th of May for a week of fly fishing. We had been planning this trip for 4 months so we were all keen to get there and start fishing.
Gavin and I were joined by Adrian while Jason and his lady joined us later that evening. We arrived at Millstream and we showed Adrian the ropes of how fly fishing works and taught him how to cast etc. It was his first time fishing but he got the hang of it and eventually caught his first fish on fly.
The fishing was a bit weird, with some fish seeming to be in full spawn and others not at all. There were some nice hatches and we had a lot of fun fishing dry fly and a dry dropper rigged with a green epoxy buzzer that Gavin tied. We tried a huge variety of flies and fished all the dams on the property. Between 5 anglers, and after a week, we had managed to catch 165 Rainbows, ranging in size from about 100 grams to a 2 kilogram hen (Maybe heavier), that Gavin caught on a Deer Hair mouse he tied. The fly was huge and Gavin fished it like a popper. The fish were smashing it and eventually he managed a solid hook up with a beautiful fish.
The fish were all in amazing condition and we caught fish on every single dam on the property, except Lake Millstream which was tough fishing. We couldnt catch a break at this large dam, never mind about a fish! Jason managed to get a 600 grammer on a Bass Popper which was awesome to witness. There was a rising fish about 20 meters from the side. He casted the popper, and on the first strip the fish hit the popper hard.
Gavin was a legend, tying us all sorts of new patterns to try out. I had some success on dry with a Foam Ant and a foam Mayfly imitation (Which was tied to match a huge mayfly hatch we had witnessed the previous day). The trip was absolutely awesome and even though the fishing was not out of this world, it was fun and challenging.
This is a list of all the flies we caught fish on during the week:
Elk Hair Caddis
Epoxy Buzzer
Deer Hair Mouse
Woolly Bugger
Fritz
Fritz Bugger
Egg
Foam Ant
Foam Mayfly
White Wulff
DDD
Royal Coachman
Tungsten Orange & White Fritz
Stimulator
Royal Wulff
Grizzly Carabou Spider (I think?)
Bass Popper
Here are some p[ics of the fishing and the wildlife...
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/11391211_10153309477021069_6625359853661478721_n_zpsrwky2dii.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/11180654_10153309473936069_5559634143174596188_n_zpsb6l8ppat.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/11336935_10152759296256044_77554493793274670_o_zpslsjk8vpk.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1801_zpszrf94kxb.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/11014923_1066310453399137_4540821252869671292_n_zpstcjy9l5x.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/11295926_1066310443399138_3689632646019986855_n_zpsfs8xun7a.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/10639700_1066309400065909_2426132186438431768_n_zps2podv0mk.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_4041_zpsxom9qvfm.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3844_zpse1ugvna9.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_4068_zpsmxsyubms.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_4036_zpsty7ljzxf.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_4062_zps1ygdgaye.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3654_zpssna1pyce.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3657_zps1lu6fpd2.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3668_zpsymy7ifb3.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3675_zpsockngx9d.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3676_zpsowpjyu19.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_3709_zpsp67le7xa.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1820_zpsnte2vp2n.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1795_zps6g3lduil.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1815_zpsl0mbrehu.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1807_zpsvbaetijd.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1798_zps2cvllhdf.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Millstream2015May/IMG_1797_zpsmtkfvd5o.jpg)
WK :ult:
-
Wow! Some BRILLIANT photo's!! (clap) :+ cred:
-
very nice fish :+ cred: , what weight rods and type of line did you use :envy
-
Thanks guys!
Roger we generally carry 2 setups with us everywhere. A 4weight with floating line and a 5 weight with sinking line. I prefer a 5 weight for sinking line because of the extra distance you can get in the cast and also a bit of backbone just feels better when using larger flies with sinking line.
On the floating line I generally fish 2lb - 4lb maxima ultragreen tippet and on the sinking line I like 6lb Seagur (Spelling) fluorocarbon or 6lb maxima ultragreen :-)
-
Thanks guys!
Roger we generally carry 2 setups with us everywhere. A 4weight with floating line and a 5 weight with sinking line. I prefer a 5 weight for sinking line because of the extra distance you can get in the cast and also a bit of backbone just feels better when using larger flies with sinking line.
On the floating line I generally fish 2lb - 4lb maxima ultragreen tippet and on the sinking line I like 6lb Seagur (Spelling) fluorocarbon or 6lb maxima ultragreen :-)
thanks Gareth, no that I have a lot more mobility I'll be casting a few lines
-
Awesome Roger, I wish you all the best :-) and hope you get into some nice fish!
-
Awesome Roger, I wish you all the best :-) and hope you get into some nice fish!
I just have to remember how to cast :toppie:
-
Wow great report Gareth. :clfoto: a 155 fish for a week :shk is that all :hehe: .
-
:cgrts: awesome report
-
:hehe: :hehe: thanks guys!
-
Well done to all
-
It really was a great trip. Once we sussed out there feeding pattern we couldn't go wrong! :geet
-
:cgrts: great read as usual . :tkx: . :toppie:
-
Thanks guys!
-
Very nice Walks and co , some great fish and :clfoto: .
-
Great report and lekker pics! (clap) Love that photo of the trout caught on the popper
-
Thanks guys, was awesome to see a Trout take a popper!
-
Lekker report, great pics thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys had a blast