ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: fishy1969 on May 04, 2015, 10:29:33 AM

Title: Spoons
Post by: fishy1969 on May 04, 2015, 10:29:33 AM
Hi all the spinning guys. I am a spinning freak....i have admitted to the addiction for a number of years now. I love the Iron Candies etc and fish them lots. I also love my S bend spoons. I was thinking about patterns on some Halcos and Rapalas and decided to play around with the colors on some S bend spoons. Cant wait to give them a try.....what do you guys think?
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on May 04, 2015, 11:15:01 AM
I like it!
Get your hands on some aluminium tape at your local Builders and replace the silver paint with the alu tape, it buffs up really nicely and you can paint over it as well, thus you will have a chrome spoon with some colour in it.
This was a plain white Clone lure, recovered with alu tape and painted with a spray can.

 
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: FishStyx on May 04, 2015, 11:46:13 AM
Looks good boys... congrats!  :resp:
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: tackle whore on May 04, 2015, 11:19:18 PM
don't forget the lumo as well . lumo/silver very good combo as well or lumo/black
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: Haroldg on June 04, 2015, 11:29:30 PM
Nice looking spoons fishy1969. I have something very similar but don't use these much as I've scaled down to lures in the 45g - 60g due to the lighter outfit. The red and white color scheme is quite popular on other lures so this combination should work. Often the ones you least expect to work do so give them all a try. I've seen this many times over the years. I see you took the trouble to embed rings in the front and not the rear - any reason for this?
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: fishy1969 on June 05, 2015, 06:58:25 AM
I inherited the moulds like that from my dad....i have just made new moulds with rings on both ends
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: Haroldg on August 13, 2015, 10:28:39 PM
@Dewald - the finish on that lure looks really great considering it's straight out a spray can. Have you used it in the salt yet and does it last? What brand of paint is that?
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on August 14, 2015, 11:18:29 AM
Harold, yes and yes is the short answer. It is the automotive paint in a can, cannot recall the make.
I have a couple of clear coats over the pint, if you really want, you can go the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (Nail polish) route as a clear coat, that stuff is amazing. Used it for all my saltwater flies as well.
 
Title: Re: Spoons
Post by: Haroldg on August 14, 2015, 12:38:05 PM
Dewald - thanks a lot mate. I like the idea of the hard clear coat - this means that the quality of the paint doesn't really matter that much as it's protected by the clear coat? The same goes for the eyes?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal