ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Fly tying => Topic started by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 12:40:04 PM

Title: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 12:40:04 PM
these are my trout flies - somehow I am not sure that I have enough. Still empty spaces in these fly boxes - and I have a few empty boxes to fill as well....maybe I am sick!

(http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x475/ziggygonzo/a_3.jpg)
(http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x475/ziggygonzo/d_1.jpg)
(http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x475/ziggygonzo/b_1.jpg)
(http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x475/ziggygonzo/c_1.jpg)
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Willie on April 30, 2015, 12:42:12 PM
You can open a fly shop  (clap)
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: icstuff on April 30, 2015, 12:55:57 PM
no - you always need more
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Lichia amia on April 30, 2015, 12:58:56 PM
Impressive collection Ziggy .  w;k
 
Which flies do you rate as your best/ most used 5 Trout Flies ?
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: colin on April 30, 2015, 01:10:54 PM
Have any of the flies caught anything :trout: :yellow: other than yourself. w;k :hehe:. :toppie:
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: SAfish on April 30, 2015, 01:16:46 PM
 :shk You have a serious problem and I recommend using this, it really works.  :crzy
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: SAfish on April 30, 2015, 01:17:31 PM
 :hehe: On a serious note, that is an impressive collection Ziggy.  (clap)
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: John F on April 30, 2015, 01:20:36 PM
A question from a complete ignorant on all things "fly"... how often does the average fly fisherman looses a fly during the fight? Is it as common as it happens offshore?

Looks like a very nice collection Ziggy. But I guess you're right... I'd say you need a few more!
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: SPARODON on April 30, 2015, 01:24:21 PM
nope, still way short. no boobys, no cats whiskers, no joe's hoppers.
you can just as well not even bother fishing.
 
seriously. nice selection :envy
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 01:30:30 PM
Impressive collection Ziggy .  w;k
 
Which flies do you rate as your best/ most used 5 Trout Flies ?
Olive bead head wooly bugger (in variations of olives)
Speedcop (sometimes with orange hot spot)
Hamills killer
All sorts of dry flies - especially klinkhammers in various colours
All sorts of nymphs - mainly olive, black - soem with orange hotspots. I like using the smuggler nymph (I did an SBS of that a while ago)


Although I like these flies, I experiment with a large range when I aam on the water. Of course flies for still waters are different from river flies. In the rivers I use small nymphs and dries
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 01:35:01 PM
A question from a complete ignorant on all things "fly"... how often does the average fly fisherman looses a fly during the fight? Is it as common as it happens offshore?

Looks like a very nice collection Ziggy. But I guess you're right... I'd say you need a few more!
I lose a number of flies when fishing - especially on the rivers where casting is often constrained by bank vegetation. Also getting caught in underwater obstructions like branches and rocks. I fish with very light tippets (max 6 pound) in the rivers, which breaks easily.


Onstill waters I seldom loose flies - unless caught up in some underwater obstructions
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 01:36:24 PM
nope, still way short. no boobys, no cats whiskers, no joe's hoppers.
you can just as well not even bother fishing.
 
seriously. nice selection :envy


....then I better get busy on my vice. I have never used boobys, cats whiskers or hoopers. Although I recently tied some Ed's Hoppers, but not yet used them
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 01:37:40 PM
A question from a complete ignorant on all things "fly"... how often does the average fly fisherman looses a fly during the fight? Is it as common as it happens offshore?

Looks like a very nice collection Ziggy. But I guess you're right... I'd say you need a few more!
Seldom lose flies in the fight - unless the tippet is too light or the knot failed...has happened on occasion
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 01:38:17 PM
:shk You have a serious problem and I recommend using this, it really works.  :crzy


My wife prefers Doom actually!
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on April 30, 2015, 01:39:43 PM
Have any of the flies caught anything :trout: :yellow: other than yourself. w;k :hehe: . :toppie:


many of these flies have caught fish, my self, my ears, my wifes ears amongst other things
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: colin on April 30, 2015, 02:36:51 PM


many of these flies have caught fish, my self, my ears, my wifes ears amongst other things
[/quote]


Been there Ziggy, Done that, :hehe:  :toppie:
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: FishStyx on April 30, 2015, 03:03:37 PM
Do you keep rotten fish in those boxes to attract all those flies bud?
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: shagnrelease on April 30, 2015, 03:15:07 PM
You had me at Box and boobys :shk :shk :shk
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: SAfish on April 30, 2015, 06:49:04 PM
You had me at Box and boobys :shk :shk :shk
:hyst: :hyst: That is enough to get me interested in fly fishing.
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Rory mundy on May 01, 2015, 07:28:16 AM
now I know why you fly fisherman have those jackets with so many pockets

If you want some more salt water flies go have a look at what my mate is tying on face book
Rupert Harvey's Ukflies

https://www.facebook.com/Ukflies?fref=ts (https://www.facebook.com/Ukflies?fref=ts)

Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on May 01, 2015, 07:45:23 AM
now I know why you fly fisherman have those jackets with so many pockets

If you want some more salt water flies go have a look at what my mate is tying on face book
Rupert Harvey's Ukflies

https://www.facebook.com/Ukflies?fref=ts (https://www.facebook.com/Ukflies?fref=ts)


I have a couple of boxes of salt water flies as well! And I am going to have to tie some for my bone fishing trip to Venezuela in december (just after 6 days in Patagonia using some of my flies on those monster trout)
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Rory mundy on May 01, 2015, 08:18:49 AM
that sounds like a trip of a life time
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on May 01, 2015, 08:40:01 AM
that sounds like a trip of a life time
looking forward to it - only problem is that the volcano that erupted in Chile a week ago is 120km away from where I am booked to fish in Patagonia. Hopefully things will be OK by then.


In Venezuela I am going to Los Roques - an archipelago of islands a short flight offshore from the mainland  -  bonefish heaven!!!
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Timothy Scriven on May 01, 2015, 09:56:06 AM
I don't think you do!
 :resp:
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: David Taylor on May 04, 2015, 09:56:49 AM
You never have enough flies if you collection doesnt include paraRABs...

Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on May 04, 2015, 10:09:23 AM
You never have enough flies if you collection doesnt include paraRABs...


If you look carefully you will find them!
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: E.T. on May 04, 2015, 11:44:48 AM
Why so many unfilled spaces in those boxes?
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: David Taylor on May 04, 2015, 12:11:29 PM
You never have enough flies if you collection doesnt include paraRABs...


If you look carefully you will find them!
Oops my mistake
Title: Re: do I have enough flies?
Post by: Ziggy on May 04, 2015, 01:02:17 PM
Why so many unfilled spaces in those boxes?


I agree - and also why have other boxes that are totally empty?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal