ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Jaybennie on April 22, 2015, 03:07:50 PM
-
Hi guys, anyone have any experience with the Amia 4 piece? Do the multiple joints effect action or casting? Any problems with joints coming apart? How does it compare with the 2 piece? I have a 2 piece without Microwave eyes, but have been offered a brand new 4 piece with Microwave guides. I also have a buyer for my 2 piece, which means I don't really lose any money! Now just to decide which is the smart choice!
Advice please from those in the know!
-
Howzit... I had the four piece for about a week and took it back due to the joints pieces coming apart and twisting to the side when casting. I took it back and paid the difference for the sierra. My choice would be to keep your 2 piece amia without microwave guides. I still have my one for back up and never had a problem with it.
-
Don't mean to hijack your post Jaybennie....
Domz - how does the Sierra compare to the outfit you had previously? I've had a look at the one with the microwave guides and they look awfully small? seems like a very limited range of casting weights to me? The heavier Sierra has a completely different set of guides and I cannot figure out why the vast difference in guide sizes between the heavy and extra heavy?
Would be keen to hear your views on the rod so far.
-
The guide selection is due to most wanting to use a leader with the heavier sierra that is longer and goes through the guide train. Micro's do not function optimally with this setup and are used with the leader outside the train.
-
Tested a rod yesterday with size 7 Fuji KT (single foot) guides on the tip section. (rod is set up with a KR Concept layout 25/12/8/7 in high framed KL's then the 7's to a size 8 tip-top
It's very happy throwing 0.50mm mono leaders of around 6-7m.
Played with fire and tried out 6m of 0.70mm.
Straight through.
No problem.
The Microwave setup is limited to size 5 runners.
Too small is one problem.
In the case of Amtak's guides, too fragile.
But beyond this it's its also how the line is choked down to the small running guides.
Choke too fast, loss of distance.
Guides to far apart, line slap between guides.