ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: allsorts on April 08, 2015, 09:13:24 PM

Title: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: allsorts on April 08, 2015, 09:13:24 PM
My mate Matt suggested a visit to the Western Cape spinner (or spoon for those of us who grew up east of the Breede) maestro, Steve Champion.  So yesterday I picked Matt up and soon we were parking in Carissa road.  In response to a loud 'Hi Uncle Steve' the man himself stepped out of his workshop/double garage and invited us in.  Matt told me not to touch anything as Steve has a system for everything which must not be disrupted.  I looked around and being a total lure freak my brain instantly fried...the pics don't do this particular Aladdin's Cave justice - I could have taken 5 more pics and not covered everything.   I  was in spoon heaven...


end of part 1...



 
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: allsorts on April 08, 2015, 09:27:12 PM
Every rafter had rows and rows of spoons, each with a backing card giving details of designer and fish caught amongst other things.  Some had the pre-bent wires hanging for the next pouring session.   As we got chatting it became clear that Steve is extremely organised and he keeps meticulous records of what his visitors (2000 so far) bought and when.  He says that he can tell you exactly what spoons you bought on what day, even if it was 10 years ago!  I totally believe him! 


He has a collection 500 moulds (many made from plaster of Paris) and the contents of the workshop, Steve's notes and memory are truly a national treasure.  He plans to write a book but is still too busy - at 80 years young - making spoons to sit down with his ghost writer and get it done.


Hanging on nails are fascinating items and momentos, like the biggest (handmade) swivel I have ever seen (apologies for crappy pic) and a treble extensively modified by a big yellowtail he caught...


end of Part 2, part 3 to follow tomorrow...

 
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: SAfish on April 08, 2015, 09:44:14 PM
 (clap) Thanks for sharing. It must be fascinating to sit and listen to his stories of the fishing years ago. I can't wait for part three.  :Like:
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: BAUMANNATOR on April 08, 2015, 11:46:29 PM
Credit due to not only THE MAN  himself, but also to you too for taking the time to bring to the fore such a man. We take too often without giving credit to those who through their trials have given us shortcuts to success. Such a collection of ashley reeds (spelling?), I have never seen.
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: REEFMAN on April 09, 2015, 05:43:39 AM
 :+ cred:
Wow, thanks for sharing!
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: Willie on April 09, 2015, 07:09:24 AM
Wow this is great thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: krissi on April 09, 2015, 07:09:51 AM
Wow ... not much one can say and I don't even like lure fishing
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: colin on April 09, 2015, 07:20:03 AM
 :tkx: so interesting, but what would a giant swivel like that be used for, :toppie:
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 09, 2015, 07:20:35 AM
Very cool!
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: sardinella on April 09, 2015, 10:03:14 AM
May this mans legacy be captured in a book!
Legendary
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: Seventenths on April 09, 2015, 10:06:44 AM
Wow.. need to see this one day...this is AWESOME.....thanks for sharing!! (clap)
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: allsorts on April 09, 2015, 05:09:54 PM
So we got around to talking about catching yellowfin tuna at Rooikrantz...  I asked Steve what he knew about Jackie Wheeler's monster.  He laughed and said that the normal practise if someone spotted tuna was to reel in as fast as you could because the tuna at the time were often over 100lbs and guaranteed to break tackle.  Apparently Jackie's tuna gear had been sponsored by Lemke's for the purpose of landing one of these big tuna.  Due to the big Tatler 4 being used and the necessity for the long cable trace (to avoid being cut-off by the tuna's tail), Jackie had to side-cast and could only get out about 40m.   As we all know the plan came together and Jackie's land-based >70kg YFT stands as one of the greatest catches in land-based sportfishing history.


Naturally Steve set out to get a tuna and for 3 'bloody' years he took a tuna rod up and down the Krantz without a shot at a tuna.  Then one day, after a totally blank morning he decided to have a few practise casts with his tuna rig.  He'd loaded the Policansky with 50lb odd pound Perlon and didn't want to cast too much for fear of stretching the line.  His first cast was at noon and at 12.15 he hooked a tuna out of the blue.  'God meant me to get that tuna', he said.  After a few alarming moments when he overdid the drag and was pulled off his bum (big fish fought sitting down for safety reasons) he was able to kill the fish in 19 minutes.   


     
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: Lenny on April 09, 2015, 05:40:53 PM
Thanks for sharing , I have been on of the 2000 visitors to his garage .


Uncle Steve is a very good fisherman too .


I suggest if any one can get some of his elf / leer is spinners the tin/ red copper baby bend , buy the lot , you will not be sorry .
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: FishStyx on April 09, 2015, 06:36:48 PM
Legendary... thanks for sharing
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: allsorts on April 10, 2015, 05:25:15 PM
Given that Steve has 500 moulds, I started wondering what spoons were the most popular of time?  Well, Steve being Steve there is a way of answering the question...just look at the 'Top 24 Board'!

Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: allsorts on April 10, 2015, 05:27:25 PM
More of Steve's 'Top 24 Spoons'...


The observant will see that the numbering ends at 25 but there is no 24...a mystery that will have to wait until my next visit to solve.
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: baber101 on April 11, 2015, 08:29:47 AM
Hi

How do one arrange for a visit to this gem? It just moved to the top of my list of to do items?

Fishermen like that must be remembered with a statue?
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: allsorts on April 11, 2015, 08:39:48 AM
Send me a PM when you are headed down to Cape Town - might be able to help...
Title: Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
Post by: RobinF on April 26, 2015, 08:06:41 PM
Nice.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal