ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: smiley6996 on March 05, 2015, 06:59:14 PM
-
Hey ppl I has a new mission I am after a double digit leerie from the rock or surf preferably the rocks thou any advice tips or pictures for inspiration
-
I know fishing is abit on the difficult side in your erea at the moment. If you want to catch nice leeries you wil have to put in the time and hard work. Places that have treated me well in the past in your erea when it comes to leerie is Gamtoos, Blue water bay and Sondags. Big leeries like open water and bigger mullets than what you should use for cob. They also like Elf. Big leeries like live bait. As I said places like Gamtoos and Sondags have many places where you can fish over the lip on low tide. Best time for leeries in your erea is from late September to middel to late November. There is a nice spot on Gamtoos right at the pole where you get on to the surf and just to the right as well where one can fish over the lip. Leeries like to feed in bright sunlight and more in the swell than in the brakers. In the earlier days they were also caught in great number at the dollosse. Heard that it's not so save there any more.
-
Bru , I can only put in minor tips for ' minor leeries ' as we don't get those big ones here often from the surf here .
Just having them available should be enough to make you mission and cast your arms off .
I would suggest : medium sized chizelnose plug in White , and a couple of clones THATS IT .
I would also suggest to keep things simple in terms of lures , Take five , thats all you need . I firmly believe that one should not chop and change lures the whole time , you get those guys ...
Take a lure and work it , the conditions/lure will dictate whether you should change /go home or keep on keeping on .
I mean , If you see LEeries smashing Bait on the surface , gooi a Plug .
I sometimes count my casts , and retrieves , so I would make lets say 30 casts , retrieve fast , 30 casts twitch pause retrieve , and 30 quike retrieve , I would fan these casts out over the area I am fishing .
2 things I will always mention in any Lure fishing from the rocks/surf .
1.Dont fish to fast , I often see guys fishing a lure so fast , that it looses action , one must find the 'golden retrieve speed ' for each lure ... getting the most out of your lure , will get the most bites FACT
2. Visually topwater action [any top water action for that matter ] from the bricks is hard to beat in terms of adrenaline , but you have to keep your cool . So If you get a chase DO NOT stop retrieving , try to speed up . Leervis will loose interest if the lure/bait does not speed up .
Enjoy Smiley ! :rck"
-
Don't forget the bucktails. I caught some nice one's last year on them. It is very effective to switch between them and the chiselnose. My biggest last year came out on a 13cm xrap walk. They not easy to cast but that rattle drives them crazy.
-
I know they love the xwalk have caught some nice ones in the river but the surf just rats and mice I know gamtoos got plenty nice ones swimming around there but I really what to get one off the bricks I do throw the odd bucktail especially if I am exploreing a new area they cheaper then paddle tails as I tie my own also throw a lot of plugs and spoons at them it's just a mater of time before I get one here's a picture of one of the better river leery
-
Here's a more resent one also caught on the swartkops also on a xwalk
-
Thanks for the advice so far I got a new rod coming tomorrow hopefully a custom 11ft 3/4 to 3.5 oz can't wait to get a pull on it
-
Only seen pix so far can't wait to test her
-
This bad boy and my stradic 5000 going to pull the leeries teeth hahaha
-
I am in the same boat. I am waiting for my Graph II to be finished.
-
We will have to go try get some blood on both of our rods haha mine should be here today with a bit of luck and a fair wind
-
Bring a good pair of polarized shades and I'll show you those leerie you are looking for, you can sight fish for them if you are lucky ;) I got just the secret spot..This weekend looks good, I'll keep in touch mate.
-
Shot guy we will make a plan soon have herd many good things about your spot will be there shortly with my plugs