ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Dewald Posthumus on February 10, 2015, 08:19:24 AM

Title: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 10, 2015, 08:19:24 AM
Hi all,
 
I managed to get hold of a House of Hardy Deluxe Classic fly rod - no idea of the weight rating, but it does have a date on it, 1964. It is really worse for wear and needs a complete rebuild, the question is, is it worth while rebuilding the rod for use?

The deal breaker is that with the rod, I have a mint condition Hardy Sovereign reel (gold) to boot - no pictures, will take some tonight.
 
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: Lichia amia on February 10, 2015, 08:27:10 AM
 
Speak to E.T. (Extra testicle) he is the resident Fly rod rebuild pro .
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: travelmember on February 10, 2015, 09:11:29 AM
I don't think that the 1964 refers to a date, I think it is part of the serial number. Looking at what you have posted it seems like an 8' #5/6 Classic built in 1977.
Much softer and more forgiving action than today's rods which lends them to a less rushed casting style. They were designed for bigger fish in smaller rivers, namely the chalk streams of Southern England.
Doesn't have too much value other than sentimental.


Disclaimer - I am by no means an expert, just some recollection from a youth mis-spent of those rivers.
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: maganything on February 10, 2015, 09:39:45 AM
I fish with the exact rod!
The best rod out there, wouldn't change it for anything!
Def worth a rebuild... If you don't wana, I'll consider taking it off your hands!
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 10, 2015, 09:47:34 AM
I fish with the exact rod!
The best rod out there, wouldn't change it for anything!
Def worth a rebuild... If you don't wana, I'll consider taking it off your hands!

Excellent, I will go through the effort of rebuilding it then! Pair it with a Hardy Sovereign 5/6/7 Gold reel.
 
Line weight wise? Which best suits this rod?
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: Werries on February 10, 2015, 10:00:24 AM
I also have the exact same rod ...I use it for troutfishing stillwaters. It has a slow/medium action so it loads better with a lighter line so rather go for a 5weight WF floating line than a 6weight which I found messes up your soft presentations on the dry fly
I absolutely love the classic feel of the rod...I have 2 x SAGE rods as well with fast actions but prefer this rod for dry fly fishing

Keep us posted on the rebuild!  :-)
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: maganything on February 10, 2015, 12:54:37 PM
I fish with the exact rod!
The best rod out there, wouldn't change it for anything!
Def worth a rebuild... If you don't wana, I'll consider taking it off your hands!

Excellent, I will go through the effort of rebuilding it then! Pair it with a Hardy Sovereign 5/6/7 Gold reel.
 
Line weight wise? Which best suits this rod?

i fish mine with 5wt WF. its my intermidate line rod! i still much prefer it over the new 4 pieces on the market today!
its getting me amped to get on the stillwaters this winter!! yoh!!
 
i was left mine by my grandfather who had a crazy collection of hardy stuff.
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 11, 2015, 08:04:18 AM
An update on the reel, as you can see it is is mint condition, so I really have no other choice than to refurb the rod... :rck"
 
Title: Re: House of Hardy Rebuild
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 11, 2015, 08:04:56 AM
the spool
 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal