ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: PeterCox on January 27, 2015, 02:03:12 PM

Title: Grinder set up
Post by: PeterCox on January 27, 2015, 02:03:12 PM
Howzit lads, and lasses?
Quick question what would be a good outfit, Med to heavy but a grinder outfit?
 
Shot :)
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: Half-Pint on January 27, 2015, 02:35:49 PM
Whats your budget?

What species are you looking to target?

What size baits?

Where do you generally fish?
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: PeterCox on January 27, 2015, 02:40:01 PM
Hey champ,
Budget is not a huge problem, but would like middle of the range so a few thousand but not over the top.
Big baits :) Currently my fav set up is my tor 30 with my assasin beach master heavy, I also like to do a slide now and then, I mainly fish Cape Town (gordons bay and surrounds) but do try get to the north coast a few times a year.
Im looking for something with enough back bone to pull out the toothies and be reliable too, but it will not be restricted to heavy fishing only. So something pretty versitile.
Shot mate :)
 
 
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: Half-Pint on January 27, 2015, 02:47:26 PM
Ok if its primarily non eds I would look at something like the Beachmaster Heavy alternatively the Pentagon P6. You could also look at doing something custom made built on a Blue Marlin blank and low rider guides.

I know less than nothing about Purglass rods so someone else could advise there!

Reel wise the Ultegra is a popular choice. It is very long casting but not all that tough and quite finnicky with regards to maintenance.

The new Spheros 20 000 would also work well. My choice would be a Saragosa 20 000 or 25 000. Load up with 50lb braid. You could use JDB, Gosen, HMP or Suffix 832. I use whiplash as backing but HMP is also popular but I had a bad experience so wont use that anymore
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: PeterCox on January 27, 2015, 02:59:39 PM
Shot bud, am an assassin fan so will look into the rod for a grinder.
Will make a stop past a shot and look at the reel too. Legend advise as always :)
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: fishy1969 on January 28, 2015, 06:55:38 AM
Hi Peter,


The danger is that you buy something then realise that you still need to upgrade it. I found myself in that position at the end of 2014. If budget is no problem, get yourself an Assassin Evo rod and a Saragosa 20000. It is expensive but a proper investment.
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: kevind0809 on January 28, 2015, 07:39:15 AM
Peter,

I am currently using the assassin medium XL and the ultegra 14000 XSC. The set up suits me perfectly as I only get to fish about 6 times in a year.. I landed a 74kg raggie with the set up with no problem. The updrage to the XL is the Evo. The XL is 5 to 7 oz and the Evo is 6 to 8oz.

If budget is not an issue I will definitely back up what fishy1969 said. Go for the Evo and Gossa or the bullseye.

I am in JHB so if you want to have a cast or few with my setup let me know. In that way you will have a good feel for the rod and reel so you can make a better choice when buying.

Regards,
Kevin
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: PeterCox on January 28, 2015, 08:21:27 AM
Thanks for the replies gents its much appreciated.
Im going to make a stop at the woodmead mias today, (as its on my way home) and have a look at the rods mentioned.
As far as the reel goes I will look at  all the ones you guys have suggested.
Kevind0809 - thanks for the offer and I might just take you up on it :)
Have a magic wednesday all :)
 
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: kevind0809 on January 28, 2015, 11:28:03 AM
Cool Peter, you tell me when
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: Mustbite on February 15, 2015, 08:08:35 AM
Get a shimano Arlex xsa 8000 ,cheap and lasts I filled my spool with 50lb hemp 8 strand braid, I am still going to custom my rod ,turn the reel seat around and add low rider eyes ,but ja the grinder thing has caught on big here in SA
Title: Re: Grinder set up
Post by: Mustbite on February 15, 2015, 08:10:10 AM
That's HMP braid  :lolo:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal