ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Cam Mundy on December 18, 2014, 10:10:25 AM
-
Hi those of you that are friends with me on Facebook may have seen these but I thought I’d share with the rest of the Forum. I found a shoal of shad on one of the reefs in Southern Oman they were tucked away on the corner of the reef by two breaking waves, we would drift past casting lures into the white water and watch piles of monster shad chase the lures out into the clear water and obliterate them. It was a obviously a blast and came at the perfect time as I had two back to back South African trips at the time so the boys just about lost their minds completely forgetting about the Monster GT’s!
The fish put on awesome displays rattling their gills and leaping from the water during the fight. The biggest weighed fish came in at 8.5 kilos but we had a few bigger ones that were released as we only weighed the few damaged fish we ate (which where dam tasty!)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7833_zps40d0c693.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7833_zps40d0c693.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/untitled-7860_zps84974e88.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/untitled-7860_zps84974e88.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7867_zps398e3208.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7867_zps398e3208.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7894_zpsd5eebb43.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7894_zpsd5eebb43.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_8153_zps027116c0.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_8153_zps027116c0.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7920_zps229c3a56.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7920_zps229c3a56.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/untitled-8160_zpscce87ee7.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/untitled-8160_zpscce87ee7.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_8230_zpsb2c4bbd6.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_8230_zpsb2c4bbd6.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7933_zps0b778c1f.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_7933_zps0b778c1f.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_8186_zps0848244d.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/IMG_8186_zps0848244d.jpg.html)
(http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/oceanactive/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/untitled-8171_zps2bfcac65.jpg) (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/oceanactive/media/Shad%20Southern%20Oman/untitled-8171_zps2bfcac65.jpg.html)
-
Man those are monsters
-
(clap) Well done, those are very good fish. :envy
-
Wow what beasts! I've seen Natal Snoek that would have to run from those.
-
Wow, incredible Shad Cam, in my dreams.
-
Man oh man those shad are monsters !!
Thanks for sharing Cam and thats amazing pics (clap) [size=78%] [/size]
-
Thought you guys might like it! Its a pity we hammer them so hard in SA and they battle to reach their potential especially off Natal.
-
what fun
-
Thought you guys might like it! Its a pity we hammer them so hard in SA and they battle to reach their potential especially off Natal.
I agree, its a real shame ....!
-
:udman: :clfoto: :win: :envy :shk :shk BLIKSEM!!!...Those are cricket bats!!!!....Many thanks for sharing those pics!!!
-
w;k I tell you what...one is not careful ...shad that size will take a piece out of you.... :hehe:
-
i wish we could actually catch 1 half that size :win:
-
Those big shad/elf are insane with the only local places you can get them fairly regularly being Langebaan and some spots in the Southern Cape....
Sometimes putting a big circle on one might provide interesting results.....
-
Some great footage there Cam!! We can only hope to find them in our local waters! Not even in Angola are they getting those sizes anymore!
-
Amazing specimens! It makes the 4.5 kg specimen I got recently look like a baby! The shad slaughter along the Dbn coastline did huge damage again this year. I wish the shad were so scarce during the ban as they are now. That would have saved many many fish.
-
Hi Cam[/size]Been doing a great deal of reading about Oman, and its bus Shad are pushing all the right buttons! Do you think it a viable option for a trip from SA, especially with our weakened rand?Dead keen to catch me a 10kg plus Shad on a chisel nose, but I'm hesitant to have to re-mortgage my home to afford the travel and the in-country fishing costsI would value your input of the viability of planning a trip next year and which time of year would be best suited for the Shad and Geets!
-
Hi Cam[/size]Been doing a great deal of reading about Oman, and its bus Shad are pushing all the right buttons! Do you think it a viable option for a trip from SA, especially with our weakened rand?Dead keen to catch me a 10kg plus Shad on a chisel nose, but I'm hesitant to have to re-mortgage my home to afford the travel and the in-country fishing costsI would value your input of the viability of planning a trip next year and which time of year would be best suited for the Shad and Geets!
Hi Budd have a look at our website www.oceanactive.com (http://www.oceanactive.com) and it'll show what we have to offer and who to contact regarding pricing and dates.