ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: GOJ on November 12, 2014, 10:29:58 AM
-
Little clip of me getting handed my arse at Hellsgate last week
GTSmoking Hellsgate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlaEXAVWnxI&feature=youtu.be#)
-
One can only laugh!! (because I know how it feels) Shame man, such a good run! Love how eager you are to rig up again and get another lure in!! Is there a trip-report?
-
Thanks Poenie, unfortunately the weather was terrible for most of the trip so not to much to report, I will be playing catchup at work for the next week, hopefully after that I will be able to look at the pics and scratch together a little report.
-
Nice clip GOJ... run through the tackle there please? Did the braid snap or the leader knot give?
-
Shot Reefman, got towed over one of the many reefs in the mouth. Braid parted of around 15 meters up from the leader.
Tackle used was as follows:
Assassin Sierra 11ft
Shimano Twinpower 5000SW
25lb Gosen 8x braid
80lb fluro leader
No.10 Salmo Slider (Black) sinking
-
LEkker Clip , Like Poenie said , one can only laugh , I quess its getting Fraped , is what keep one going back .
Thanks for sharing :gt: :gt:
-
Had a similar experience off Bazaruto, jigging with a Trevala ML, Stradic 500, 30lb! Got picked up by what could ONLY be a decent size GT! Took off like a freight-train, heading ONE WAY to the structure! Burnt my hand to a blister as I tried to stop the spool!! You need to be PROPERLY geared for those :gt:
-
Nice,
Get pinned and hang on for the ride...
-
Thanks GOJ for sharing. That was a proper :gt:
-
nice!! sometimes getting your @ss handed to you is a great reminder of just how stunning they are in their brute strength!! Love it man!!
-
A few years back, my girlfriend and I were throwing plugs at Zona Braza. I had wandered down the beach to cover some water and at one point looked back at Steph and saw her buckling... I ran back as fast as I could and by the time I got there, she was in tears. She'd been picked up by a double decker bus and was completely at loss as to what to do. She'd never experienced such a strong fish before and had been on a good 10 minutes or so. She was knackered. She handed the rod to me (Exceller with Spheros and 30lb fireline) and I tried my best. After another 10 or so minutes, the line parted though quite close in. The following day, we went back there at low tide and saw what the situation was. There was a ledge with a huge cave under it. That Geet had headed in there and only a winch with steel cable would have got it out. She felt better after seeing the impossibility of it all.
-
@Fishstyx, I know that ledge, I know that Cave and I know the busses that visit that spot!!Similar experience in jan this year, only throwing 65lb braid, 120lb leader and a 5 ounce GT ice cream...... all I got back was an opened 150lb Owner split ring!! PAINFUL ass whipping!!
-
Hahaha... painful indeed. I tried fishing it from the reef on the other side but I was a bit chicken to wait long enough for the tide to come in. We were there around spring tides.
But I did manage an interesting species that day. First and only Pursemouth ever.
-
best time for that spot is December to April over springs. its the only time you can get out onto that reef..... but the Geets come in close, I have seen them come smash needlescales on the shallow side on that sandbank in ankle deep water!!
-
Wow! Awesome video!
-
Nice, I like, bad luck, but well done, your eagerness is contagious
-
Are you guys talking of the gap between Zona Braza and Paradise View? Or is it a secret? :hehe:
-
Are you guys talking of the gap between Zona Braza and Paradise View? Or is it a secret? :hehe:
Can't remember where Paradise View was specifically but it's about a km south from Zona B. There is a gap there so ja, it could well be. The blokes at Zona called it GT rocks.
-
It is the same place. I once saw a eagle ray jumping clear out of the water on the inside of the reef. It is an awesome place.
-
yup, at high GT rocks and at low the gap just to the left.... :gt: almost exactly a km south of ZB