ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Steenie on November 06, 2014, 06:41:24 PM
-
I caught this awesome 70 cm (fork length) shad this morning before work on a 1.5 oz GT Ice cream flat-face plug. The fish put up a really good fight on my Assassin Sierra spinning rod paired with a Shimano Stradic 5000FJ reel filled with 25 lbs Gosen braid. I tagged and released this bus of a Shad. :shd:
-
Nothing like a big Shad on light tackle! Nice one!
:+ cred: for the release!
-
Close-up with tag.
-
Lekker shad steenie !! Did he jump.
-
Very lekke, well done!
-
Mooi man! Nice fish.
-
very very nice
-
very nice :shd: well done on the release,can't say I'd have done the same... :blush: it's one of my favourite fish to eat... w;k have never caught one that size though,perhaps would also release it then... :clwn
one more thing...isn't that tag supposed to be a little further back towards the dorsal or doesn't it matter...? :dunno: I know nothing about tagging
-
Lekker shad steenie !! Did he jump.
Yes the fellow put in a nice brief acrobatic display!
-
very nice :shd: well done on the release,can't say I'd have done the same... :blush: it's one of my favourite fish to eat... w;k have never caught one that size though,perhaps would also release it then... :clwn
one more thing...isn't that tag supposed to be a little further back towards the dorsal or doesn't it matter...? :dunno: I know nothing about tagging
Thanks! I prefer tagging closer to the head, where the body is thicker and lesser chance of injuring the backbone.
-
(clap) great catch on the light tackle , :win: on the release.. :Like:
-
Awesome fish Steenie. Well done. The spinning is paying off. Admire your persistence
-
:cgrts: well done. I catch so few that I would have filleted one before releasing. :toppie:
-
Great catch ! Well done !
-
Cracking catch well done!
-
Nice Steenie, looks almost like a Cape Elf!
Congratulations with tagging and release, hope it doesn't migrate to Beachwood where this mob of Shad rapers were raping the Shad this morning, out of season and taking way beyond bag limits.
Photo courtesy of Barry Wareham:
-
Lovely shad there and respect on the release.
Unfortunately the poaching continues. Was at the beach at 06:20 yesterday and was suprised to see Parks board on the hunt so early although the beach was quiet. Went back after work and met a few anglers who were happy to announce that they got shad and big shad they were. Just walked away in disgust only to see more anglers on the rock.
Guess if this poaching is to stop, then stronger preventative measures need to be taken. Either a total ban on fishing during shad off season or the employ of honorary PARKS board officials who will be on the beach during mornings and evenings and who will exercise some brutal force if need be to send a message to the red bung club
-
Guess if this poaching is to stop, then stronger preventative measures need to be taken. Either a total ban on fishing during shad off season or the employ of honorary PARKS board officials who will be on the beach during mornings and evenings and who will exercise some brutal force if need be to send a message to the red bung club
Unfortunately those honorary officers will not be as successful as they were back in the day! Heard of incidents last year where parks board officers were seen running for their lives after being threatened by the shad fishermen armed with weapons from pangas to hammers!
Disgusting as it was it seems to have helped a lot of the officers lose their rude ways and to be more respectful when talking to the legal fishermen.
-
:cgrts: Great catch. (clap)
-
Lekker catch mate :cgrts:
-
Sorry to burst your bubble....that is not a "elf".....it is a thirteen....lol. Beaut of a fish :win:
-
I thought it was a Leerie :dunno: ... is it not a Leerie? What is a 13?
-
I thought it was a Leerie :dunno: ... is it not a Leerie? What is a 13?
ELF =11 bigger than 11? 12.... Even bigger? 13 :hyst:
Its been a long week Fishstyx
-
I thought it was a Leerie :dunno: ... is it not a Leerie? What is a 13?
ELF =11 bigger than 11? 12.... Even bigger? 13 :hyst:
Its been a long week Fishstyx
Lol, you following now Fishstyx :toppie:
-
I thought it was a Leerie :dunno: ... is it not a Leerie? What is a 13?
ELF =11 bigger than 11? 12.... Even bigger? 13 :hyst:
Its been a long week Fishstyx
duh ... I feel sooooooooo stooopeed
Edit: Had another look... hey, it's a Shad... a good shad... been a long week :blush:
-
:win: Well done on an awesome catch and very well done on the tag and release :cgrts: (clap)
-
awesome awesome catch and :+ cred: for the release
-
Well done on the catch and the release, that is the right thing to do.
I was fishing up the North Coast last weekend and also experienced the shad brigade, the shad were between 400-600mm in size. The parks park came, confiscated the fish, and when they left the slaughter continued. Makes one furious.
-
The shad poaching is relentless and disgust me!! I see this virtually every morning of late and have reported it to the anti-poaching hotline. But these poachers are aggressive and one is just looking for trouble if you confront them. I got another shad of 41 cm this morning and tagged it as well. My three taggings this weeks is sadly a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of shad that was killed this week! A very sad state of affairs!
-
I once caught a 6.5. My Elf was bitten in two by a Kob. The reason why I say it was a Kob is because we took what was left of the Elf and baited up with it and caught a Kob on the next cast. You win some and you loose some. w;k
-
Bus Shad! Well Done!