ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Steenie on October 11, 2014, 05:16:56 PM

Title: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Steenie on October 11, 2014, 05:16:56 PM
Yebo yes!!!! She will be tested tomorrow for the first time. Paired with my Shimano Stradic 5000FJ reel and 25 lbs Gosen P2 braid it can only be a joy, and one seriously lethal combination! This was a big upgrade from my Assassin Amia extra-heavy rod that I made at Basil Manning today :happ:
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: jball7204 on October 11, 2014, 05:24:10 PM
Enjoy! I would get one if I could justify it! Too many spinning rods already. Played with one the other day and its an absolute beast...
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Steenie on October 11, 2014, 05:44:21 PM
Enjoy! I would get one if I could justify it! Too many spinning rods already. Played with one the other day and its an absolute beast...
Thanks it says a lot to me that you think the rod is a beast! I actually went to get the lighter version of the Amia x-heavy. But having to alternate between two rods is a schlep. The Sierra covers exactly the weight range of lures I use. Fortunately I won a cash prize at work that softened the financial blow!
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: 1969 on October 12, 2014, 04:14:16 AM
Enjoy , be interisting to see tf you get any distance on the amia let us know
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Shivaan on October 12, 2014, 06:34:09 AM
Nice one Riekert! Enjoy every throw with Miss Sierra and every tight line followed by the ZZZZZ!
Beautiful weather this morning. looking forward to joining you sometime
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Nish on October 12, 2014, 09:08:12 PM
So how did her first run go?
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Steenie on October 12, 2014, 09:22:33 PM
    It is always hard to give an objective perspective on  something that you just bought, because you always want to justify the purchase  – human nature!
 
But the Assassin Sierra is an absolute beast of a spinning rod!!  Casting distance improvement over the Amia x-heavy is not spectacular, around 10%  at most for the no. 2 couta casting spoons and 1.5 oz needle-nose plugs, but casting distance  consistency is hugely improved with the Sierra. This is at least according to  my experience this morning. It is so incredibly light and thin, so you can  simply use that rod the whole day. Cast after cast the timing is virtually  perfect, something that I could never really got right with the x-heavy Amia.

I threw lures in the range of 30 – 55 g this morning for  about 4 hours, and the improvement in performance at the lower end of the  weight range is simply huge, compared to the x-heavy Amia. Obviously, I know  the heavy Amia will also perform better with 30 g lures than the x-heavy, but  the Sierra gives you the heavy and x-heavy attributes all in a single rod. The  30 g CID slimbait is not an easy lure to cast, but with the Sierra the tumbling  is definitely less and casting distance hugely improved. It performs really  well with the Halco c-gar stick baits and CID shiversticks and there is very  little tumbling. Yet, the rod is an absolute powerhouse and you cast 50/55 g  s-bend or Halco Twisty spoons a mile virtually effortless. It’s got way more  sensitivity in the tip than the x-heavy Amia, something that one finds more of  in the heavy Amia. So it will fish lures like bucktail jigs also very nicely. The Sierra  is going to be an absolute winner when fishing for game fish of deep water  points because it will even throw the light no 1 couta casting spoons really  well, yet it’s got brilliant backbone to get you out of trouble when the fish  goes for a reef.

So all in all the Sierra covers the heavy and x-heavy Amia’s  range all in a single rod, it comes with absolute effortless casting distance  consistency, it throws bulky 30 g lures, prone to severe tumbling, really well, yet it’s  got huge backbone to throw 2 ounce lures and to handle serious fish in tight  spots. And off course the blank and the rod finishing is in a class of its own.

Now I must just get into some serious fish to really test  the Sierra! This morning was really quiet, but fellow Ultimate Angling member, Blade, and I had an enjoyable session nevertheless.
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Shivaan on October 12, 2014, 11:04:41 PM
Nice write up Steenie  :bow: all your effort will definitely pay off with a double figure game fish  :fshn: tight lines..
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Torpedo Jack on October 13, 2014, 07:53:34 AM
Hey Steenie,


Nice report. Look forward to hearing more from you! Can't wait to test mine out in December. Keep us informed.


Mike

Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Steenie on October 13, 2014, 10:20:11 AM
Hey Steenie,


Nice report. Look forward to hearing more from you! Can't wait to test mine out in December. Keep us informed.


Mike
You will fall in love with Sierra from the very first cast!
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: REEFMAN on October 13, 2014, 10:26:22 AM
Congrats Steenie! What's the rod casting rated at? And length?
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Steenie on October 13, 2014, 10:41:52 AM
Congrats Steenie! What's the rod casting rated at? And length?

Thank you. 28 - 56 g casting weight with 15 - 30 lbs braid. Its 11 ft long.
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Torpedo Jack on October 13, 2014, 10:55:41 AM
Great,


I can't wait. I've paired the 25lb Gosen braid with 45lb Berkley Whiplash backing. Which combo did you choose?


Mike


P.S. I'll be near East London in December. Any good spinning spots you can suggest?
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Steenie on October 13, 2014, 11:06:36 AM
Great,


I can't wait. I've paired the 25lb Gosen braid with 45lb Berkley Whiplash backing. Which combo did you choose?


Mike


P.S. I'll be near East London in December. Any good spinning spots you can suggest?

Also using the 25 lbs Gosen on a Shimano Stradic 5000 FJ reel. The rod probably deserves a Stella or Sustain - hahaha! Sorry I do not know the East London area at all.
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: Torpedo Jack on October 14, 2014, 06:37:18 AM
Steenie,


You are right. Mine is paired with a Sustain 5000, and the laaitie has the Stradic 5000. He  is just as excited about going.
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: fritz8jacobs on August 24, 2016, 08:47:36 PM
Hey guys do the sierra comes in a 3 piece or is it just a 2 piece
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: colin on August 24, 2016, 10:04:20 PM
 :cgrts: enjoy the latest '' fix'' the addiction only gets worse . :lolo: :toppie:
Title: Re: Assassin Sierra 330H
Post by: fishatic on August 25, 2016, 06:34:48 AM
Hey guys do the sierra comes in a 3 piece or is it just a 2 piece

Two piece only.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal