ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Steenie on September 20, 2014, 07:47:12 PM

Title: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 20, 2014, 07:47:12 PM
The lures I carry in my waist pouch every morning when spinning. They had their weekly bath in hot water to remove any salt residue. What lure would you add to my collection?
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: isivuba on September 20, 2014, 07:51:53 PM
All I can say is nice collection of lures  :rck"
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 20, 2014, 07:54:12 PM
Toby spoon, 2 cid shiversticks, green glow couta casting spoon, bucktail jig, chase s-bend spoon, halco twisty spoon, chase bullet spoon, white onda, gt icecream skinny needlenose plug, white gt icecream flat-face plug, green, pink and clear needlenose gt icecream plugs and 2 cid slimbaits.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: chrisquinton on September 20, 2014, 09:28:01 PM
undoubtedly a halco rooster.
(http://i57.tinypic.com/2cmxmye.jpg)

then some more iron candy. pink glow, plain glow and green glow. the couta casting and the s-bends.

Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 20, 2014, 09:52:41 PM
undoubtedly a halco rooster.
(http://i57.tinypic.com/2cmxmye.jpg)

then some more iron candy. pink glow, plain glow and green glow. the couta casting and the s-bends.

Mmm, that Halco Rooster looks good! What is it's weight! Jip, I lost my pink candy the other day in one silly moment - still needs to go and buy a replacement!
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: REEFMAN on September 21, 2014, 08:59:33 AM
Nice collection Steenie. Only thing I would add is a Sheppie Bomber...?

(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15965.0;attach=111288;image)
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 21, 2014, 09:39:55 AM
 Good one yes, I have a big sheppie bomber for my 14 ft rod, but should get a 1.5 oz version for my 11 ft Amia. Have not seen any at Basil Manning - wonder who stocks them in Dbn?
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: jball7204 on September 21, 2014, 01:26:53 PM
Also drying my goodies from this morning's BLANK session.

(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2250)
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 21, 2014, 01:33:37 PM
Also drying my goodies from this morning's BLANK session.
Oh I know the blank sessions very well - had a whole Monday - Friday this week of that - Hahaha!
My goodies are all ready and packed to start fresh again tomorrow morning early - conditions looks quite good for tomorrow morning, and then a lot of swell from Tuesday - Thursday it appears.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 21, 2014, 01:37:16 PM
undoubtedly a halco rooster. then some more iron candy. pink glow, plain glow and green glow. the couta casting and the s-bends.

Looks like the Halco Roosta Popper 135 will be perfect for my setup. The 135 weight is 49 grams.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: jball7204 on September 21, 2014, 02:57:12 PM
I'm sure they were designed as boat lures primarily, for GT's Tuna etc. But they actually throw and perform amazingly well from the beach. Chris Quinton was the first oke I saw throwing them in the surf one day when nothing was happening, and now we chuck them all the time...!
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 21, 2014, 03:05:05 PM
I am an absolute plug addict, so I will get me one of those Roosta's!
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: jball7204 on September 21, 2014, 03:08:43 PM
 :Like:
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 22, 2014, 07:02:39 AM
Awesome stuff Steenie. You must get your hands on some Halco Twisty Spoons though, undoubtedly my favourite lure.

Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Zetti on September 22, 2014, 07:06:20 AM
Steenie, where did you get that clear / see-through needle nose? I've never seen one before
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 22, 2014, 08:23:33 AM
Awesome stuff Steenie. You must get your hands on some Halco Twisty Spoons though, undoubtedly my favourite lure.

Thanks! I've got a Halco Twisty - look on my photo, 2nd spoon from left at the bottom. Fitted with a single hook. Used it again this morning - it has a superb action!
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 22, 2014, 08:26:01 AM
Steenie, where did you get that clear / see-through needle nose? I've never seen one before

Got it at Basil Manning. I got a couple of shad this year on the clear one already. It is one of Barry Wareham's favorite ones in the needlenose range.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Zetti on September 22, 2014, 08:29:03 AM
Steenie, where did you get that clear / see-through needle nose? I've never seen one before

Got it at Basil Manning. I got a couple of shad this year on the clear one already. It is one of Barry Wareham's favorite ones in the needlenose range.

Thanks, haven't seen any in the shops this side. Will keep an eye out, like the look of that lure.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 22, 2014, 08:29:51 AM
LOL my bad Steenie. Get some more maybe. The 30 grams are good for Snoek, the 55g for Kingies and Tuna, and the 5,10 and 15grams for estuary fish.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 22, 2014, 08:35:50 AM
LOL my bad Steenie. Get some more maybe. The 30 grams are good for Snoek, the 55g for Kingies and Tuna, and the 5,10 and 15grams for estuary fish.

I have the 30 g one as well, it throws very well indeed for its weight.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 22, 2014, 08:49:44 AM
Here is the full range that Basil Manning offer. The clear and clear green are Barry's favorites. But Jonathan Knight got a nice garrick on the squid colour last week. I also like the Flo Pink. I got a big largespot pompano on it at Vidal recently.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: gavin erwin on September 22, 2014, 08:56:58 AM
Good looking lures there  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Blade on September 22, 2014, 09:24:14 AM

I like the look of these Halco C-Gars. Especially when you see it tested in SA waters with good results. can't wait to put mine to the test!
[/size]Anybody out there had any luck with them yet? They have only just been released.[/color]
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p403x403/1924368_850448298312487_185427774771784494_n.jpg?oh=e2f3c6c7e991ff61290397bb17c89819&oe=548B7F67&__gda__=1418417348_0889a0b293c405820ad88e2719ddaeb3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDl1EKPouEs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDl1EKPouEs)


https://www.facebook.com/HalcoSouthAfrica?fref=ts (https://www.facebook.com/HalcoSouthAfrica?fref=ts)

Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 22, 2014, 09:41:08 AM

I read about the C-gar lures and it looks impressive. In the section that I read they said one can fish them from the bottom with jerk - pause - jerk action or even just below the surface  on a faster retrieve. I tried the faster retrieve with my cid shiversticks the other day and must say its got a great action as a surface lure. So my question is if the Halco c-gar lure will bring anything new over the CID shiverstick? They look very similar.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 22, 2014, 07:47:14 PM
undoubtedly a halco rooster.

Got myself a Flamin' Hot Halco Roosta popper (49 g) this afternoon at Basil Manning. Looks awesome. Thank you Chrisquinton for the recommendation!  When I got home I wanted to replace the trebles straight away with 4/0 decoy hooks, but discovered that I had none left. So trebles will have to do for now.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Weedeater on September 22, 2014, 08:36:14 PM
The lures I carry in my waist pouch every morning when spinning. They had their weekly bath in hot water to remove any salt residue. What lure would you add to my collection?


Redeye Iron candy spoon. But on the whole a lovely collection.  :resp:
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: chrisquinton on September 23, 2014, 08:57:53 AM
Steenie - wait till you see how that roosta throws.

Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 23, 2014, 09:20:56 AM
Steenie - wait till you see how that roosta throws.

I did quite a bit of casting with it this morning. Throws very well for such a light bulky lure! It did tumble a fair bit on some casts, but there was some cross wind this morning. I cannot wait to replace the trebles with decoy's though!

In terms of action it is simply amazing and quite different to the plugs I use, especially with the rod tip down during the retrieve. With the rod tip straight up its action is closer to those of plugs. It is great that it floats, so I tried a few times a fast sideway swipe of rod - pause - swipe of rod style of retrieve as well. Keeps the lure for long in the strike zone like this.

Water was quite dirty this morning in Umhlanga area though.
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: chrisquinton on September 23, 2014, 09:27:08 AM
get rid of the trebbles asap..
you can work this lure with a high stick behind a shorebreak, or with the medium to tip-town attitude. Just keep the lure moving (stay in contact).
Title: Re: My lures had their weekly bath
Post by: Steenie on September 23, 2014, 09:41:49 AM
get rid of the trebbles asap..
you can work this lure with a high stick behind a shorebreak, or with the medium to tip-town attitude. Just keep the lure moving (stay in contact).

Thanks - would 4/0 decoys be ok?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal