ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Fishy on August 01, 2014, 01:32:20 PM

Title: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Fishy on August 01, 2014, 01:32:20 PM
Gents,
I need some advice on a R&S setup. I'm currently using a 14ft Poseidon with a Saltist 50, but want to add a Grinder setup to the arsenal, mainly for Edibles.
[/size]Thanks
[/size]M
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 01, 2014, 01:56:54 PM
What's your budget? There's lots to choose from...
Eg: The latest and greatest Assassin Evo rods go for about R4K!
Shimano Bullseye costs about R5K last time I looked....
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Fishy on August 01, 2014, 02:03:38 PM
Probably in the range of R 4-5K for rod and reel.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: fishatic on August 02, 2014, 09:11:53 AM
Any specific preferences regarding length of rod and casting weight?

Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Half-Pint on August 02, 2014, 04:27:32 PM
Fishy I have done a bit of grinder fishing and have found the following things.

Try the different rod configurations to see if you like a higher seat (spinning style) or lower (multiplier style).

 Dont bother with HMG rods they don't work on a grinder.

Look for something in 12-13foot any longer and its uncomfortable.

Reel wise I can only talk about the Ultegra. It is very functional but a mission to service. I don't believe any of the reels in this class are easy to service
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: krissi on August 03, 2014, 08:04:39 AM
My set-up is the Assassin Lite 14ft (I had bigger guides fitted for the grinder) with the Ultegra 5500 - I love it.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: fishatic on August 03, 2014, 08:32:53 AM
Rod length is always personal; it will depend on your size/stature and how strong you are. Its no good buying a 14' stick if you don't have the strength to compress it properly.


14' is too long for me but perfect for other fishermen.



Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Fishy on August 04, 2014, 09:40:04 AM
I'm currently using a 13ft poseidon 5piece. I works perfectly for me with a conventional multiplier.  I'll probably stick to a 13ft rod dedicated to the a grinder, i.e. with the longer butt section.


i'll probably increase the budget a bit or start with the reel, i'm leaning towards the Ultegra.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: ianf on August 04, 2014, 12:28:41 PM
Check out the Shimano Sustain reels....they are a treat to use.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Rapala9 on August 05, 2014, 12:22:54 PM
Im using a Blue Marlin Super Slim 13,6ft grinder rod.Reel is a Ultegra 14000 xsc with 50lb whiplash braid.Trough a 5oz with chokka bait a mile.

Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 05, 2014, 01:52:41 PM
There we go... now that's a perfect setup!
Only thing I would change is the make of the Braid.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Rapala9 on August 05, 2014, 04:32:39 PM
Hi Reefman,
Very lekka setup...so easy to handle and can throw a nice livebait as well for edibles.What would you rather put on the reel??must say the whiplash has treated me good so far...
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Half-Pint on August 05, 2014, 04:41:38 PM
Suffix 832 :rck" whiplash is a 4 strand braid and as such has a lower abrasion resistance and also packs differently on the reel due to it being flatter. 832 is a casting braid made with 8 strands for better casting and abrasion resistance
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 05, 2014, 04:43:56 PM
Whiplash is a flat braid, only has 4 weaves/strands. The newer casting braids are 8 weave, which makes the braid round and holding it's shape much better. The round braid packs much better on the spool and has less friction when peeling off the spool. Whiplash is the best backing braid, but for casting it's not that great. My recommendations for casting braid are the Sufix 832 and the PowerPro slick 8. I don't have experience with other brands like HMP-8, Gator braid, Saltiga casting braid, but many guys use them too. But you should definitely scope out the new 8 weave braids, they cast much better...
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Rapala9 on August 05, 2014, 04:49:41 PM
make sense !Will check the 8 strands braids.But to spool that ultegra 14000 is $$$$ haha
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: kevind0809 on August 05, 2014, 04:55:29 PM
I am using an assassin medium XL grinder rod (14.6foot) with a ultegra 14000 XSC. I have 300m whiplash 50lb backing and 300m of 50lb suffex 832 braid as top shot. I am using a 100lb braid leader. This set up serves me very well. I caught raggie pups with it, kob, shad, small bronzies, 8 kg steenie , a few flatties and did not have a problem with it yet. The rod is very similar to the evo, the evo is slightly softer. I think the evo is a 6 to 8 oz, whereas the XL is 5 to 7. You more than welcome to feel and even cast my set up before you make any decisions.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 05, 2014, 04:56:44 PM
make sense !Will check the 8 strands braids.But to spool that ultegra 14000 is $$$$ haha


Keep most of the Whiplash on and just put an 8 weave on as topshot, like Kevin0809.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Rapala9 on August 05, 2014, 08:01:37 PM
what do you guys think of this rod with a ultegra.Then you go out and target steenies and kob...small chokka baits or n bloodworm .You should cast a mile with this setup...


 :ayb
(http://www.ifish.co.za/images/stories/virtuemart/product/beach%20master%20lite%20fssc.jpg)
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 06, 2014, 12:52:12 PM
I would put the Ultegra 5500 on that rod. The 14000 is going to be really cumbersome on a light 12.9ft rod
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: fishy1969 on August 06, 2014, 01:53:39 PM
Reefs, what would a good allround combo be? I have the Assassin Beachmaster medium grinder rod and a Mitchell Avocast 8000. The two spools have 30lb and 50lb braid. I am happy with the rod and want to upgrade the reel. Am thinking Shimano Saragosa here. I love the summer flatties and then all the edibles. i dont really need to go with 50lb braid. is the Saragosa gonn be too much reel for my needs?
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 06, 2014, 02:22:12 PM
Nah I don't think so. The Saragosa will just last you forever! The new SW Gosa's are awesome reels... Just match your new reel up with the size of the Mitchell, put the 50lb braid on it and then you're bulletproof!
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Homie on August 06, 2014, 02:44:18 PM
Fishy... Im also thinking of the Gosa !
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: kevind0809 on August 06, 2014, 02:55:55 PM
Gosa, is a way better option. It is made for salt water, I think it has sealed bearings. Drags are much better than the ultegra. This reel will serve you well.
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Fishy on August 07, 2014, 12:33:21 PM
Thanks for the advice.


Which would you recommend for a 13-14ft rod? Can it double as a jigging reel on a 7ft boat rod?
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: REEFMAN on August 07, 2014, 01:18:29 PM
Here's a size comparison of the Gosa 6000 vs the Stradic 5000. The Gosa's are quite a lot bigger than the same size Stradic or Sustain
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Kevinm40 on August 11, 2014, 01:23:12 PM
Here's a size comparison of the Gosa 6000 vs the Stradic 5000. The Gosa's are quite a lot bigger than the same size Stradic or Sustain
I've got both these pups, gosa definitely built to last, has a slightly lower retrieve ratio with rigid retrieve which is good for pulling lures.
check out the specs: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/saltwater_spinning/Saragosa_SW.html (http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/saltwater_spinning/Saragosa_SW.html)
and if you really  :hnthnt: want to commit and you have that  :craz: look then check this out: http://www.fishingstore.co.za/shimano-saragosa-fishing-reels/ (http://www.fishingstore.co.za/shimano-saragosa-fishing-reels/)
i was in TA rehab (gagged + straight jacket) for the past few months and now i'm back :craz: :craz: :craz:  getting the gosa sw5000, after years hard work, my stradic 5000 is showing signs of fatigue.
 
Title: Re: R&S Grinder Setup
Post by: Rapala9 on August 11, 2014, 10:34:31 PM
What do you guys think of this combo...Small edible combo ..The Rod i previously mentioned 12,9ft assassin lite Fssc and a Finnor Lethal 80 grinder. I've got a finnor lethal 80 but still look around for a rod that will fit him.


Do any of you have the assassin[size=78%] lite fssc 12,9ft?[/size]
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal