ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Lucky Hook on June 10, 2014, 06:20:49 PM
-
I have started "spinning" at night and plan to do a lot more of this over the winter months using spoons as well as hard plastics.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mark your nanofil or braid without doing any damage to the nanofil or braid? I thought of using food colorant and but maybe there is a better product?
The reason for the mark is to determine how far away your lure is in order to speed up the retrieve when the lure is nearby so as not to get snagged in the rocks. Obviously off a sandy beach this is not an issue.
-
Maybe a glow stick just before the lure, like a carp glow stick or those small ones you use to insert into your plastics at night. :dunno:
-
Gavin thanks for prompt reply.
Certain of the lures do glow (similar to glow stick) however I tend to not want these to be too bright as I am concerned this may frighten fish rather than attract them. Also you cannot see the lures (glowing lures) in the water at a distance of over a few meters.
I believe that I will be able to see the difference in nanaofil / braid colour by marking with food colouring or similar product using natural / moonlight. I do not wish to continually have to turn on my headlamp as this may deter certain fish species from biting.
-
Braid doesn't readily accept being dyed as although its made of fibers the fibers are pretty much a fancy pants plastic. It would be like trying to dye a tuppaware container. Maybe if you put a glow in the dark mark on the spool then when that got covered by line you know when to accelerate your winding.
-
Thanks for reply Cam.
-
Hey LH, go to CNA and look for a "Pentel Paint Marker". My G/F got some that we used for "painting" our chisel and needle nose plugs. We had lots of fun with them and the "paint" has lasted quite well. Just do a few tests on your braid or nanny line first to make sure there are no evil braid eating solvents in the stuff.
-
To answer your main Q - Permanent black Marker.
I dont think you will be able to see it though. When I have been sinning as it gets dark, I get a feel for where my lure is, and thats enough to get the last 10 or so metres fast enough to get your lure on top of the water. You can kind of see where it is if the waters flat. If you fishing from the bricks, it is very difficult, but I have found that having no light on at all is best (ie headlamp) . Your eyes adjust enough to see whats going on (especially around you so you dont fall), and even better so on fullish moons. Please make sure you are well aware of where your feet can and cannot go......
I would suggest lures such as big ribbed paddletails. They also tend to be more forgicing around bricks than other lures. If you using other hard lures, at least remove the trebbles.
Let us know how it goes, would be fun to try it somewhere.
-
Thanks Limpopoking
Will definiately try with markers and let you kmow if it works.
Ultimate Angling members have a wealth of knowledge and are creative and always willing to share.
Thanks for all suggestions.