ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: bubbleboy on May 26, 2014, 09:55:22 AM

Title: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: bubbleboy on May 26, 2014, 09:55:22 AM
I have decided that my next my next reel will be the Shimano Stradic 5000


Now I need to pair it with a rod and braid.  Please send through suggestions.


I wont say that I have an open budget - but value for money is very important. I would also like your opinion on if I should go 9' or 10' , and if there will be a difference in casting distance.


I would really like a "light" rod, so that fatigue does not set in quickly when working those lures and dropshots
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: Poenskop on May 26, 2014, 10:11:21 AM
Go Check the Amia range at Alcocks. While you are there also check the Graphcast III.
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: sardinella on May 26, 2014, 10:26:23 AM
I'll suggest 9 feet  - better for dropshot versatility and less fatigue. Longer rods will give better distance. You must decide on a specialized outfit for distance or an allrounder. For an allrounder go for 8-9 feet and load up with Gosen PE1.5 or 2.
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: sardinella on May 26, 2014, 10:31:57 AM
Forgot to add - Distance is not that important.  Most areas that hold fish are edges of sandbanks/gullies, foaming water, rips etc. It is more important  to recognize these features and keep your lure in the strike zone for longer. Long casts often goes 50 meters past these strike zones. Note where you get strikes and focus on shorter more frequent cast s to keep your lure in the strike zone more often
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: jball7204 on May 26, 2014, 12:23:32 PM
I have a Daiwa Exeler Elite 10.6' which is extremely light and a great performer. Also have the heavier Assassin Amia 11' with Microwave guides. Although the assassin is heavier it casts further with very little effort, and appears to have better pulling power. The Exeler is also very nice, cost a bit less, is a little firmer but very light. I wouldn't pick anything else personally, because I don't think you could ever do better at the same sort of price for South African conditions. Both great value and very hardy...
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: bubbleboy on June 02, 2014, 05:30:15 PM
Assassin Amia with microwave guides - ordered


Shimano Stradic 5000FJ to be bought later this month


So the last question - What braid?
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: victorius on June 02, 2014, 06:00:08 PM
I have the exact Spec that you ordered / have and was recommended 20 lb Gosen Braid. It is a bit expensive but apparently worth the money.
 
Unfortunately living up here in Gauteng - cannot fish everyday.
 
But have been down once so far and caught fish only up to 1 kg.
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: CLS on June 02, 2014, 07:22:30 PM
I have the exact Spec that you ordered / have and was recommended 20 lb Gosen Braid. It is a bit expensive but apparently worth the money.
 
Unfortunately living up here in Gauteng - cannot fish everyday.
 
But have been down once so far and caught fish only up to 1 kg.
  :corrct cannot go wrong with Gosen. JDB is also good I have the 30lb on my Stradic and so far no problems, caught a lot of snoek with it off the boat.
Title: Re: Please recommend a rod & braid
Post by: jball7204 on June 03, 2014, 06:46:54 PM
Nicely done Bubbleboy, nice outfit and much fun to come...

Gosen 8 weave. I believe the PE2 Rating (20-30lb or so) fills a 5000 reel size perfectly. I have it on my Sustain and it's brilliant with a Shimano 5000 size reel and that specific rod.

The PE rating has become the Japanese standard of measuring braid, as it measures line diameter and not breaking strain. It's easier therefore to figure out what to buy to fill a certain spool size. You'll get the idea from the link below.

http://oceanbluefishing.com.au/2010/06/24/pe-rating-fishing-line-diameter-chart/ (http://oceanbluefishing.com.au/2010/06/24/pe-rating-fishing-line-diameter-chart/)

Different braids with the same line diameter may therefore have different breaking strains depending on the quality of materials and the weave.

So first pick the PE rating that will fill a 5000 spool, and then you can look at the different products. The stronger the breaking strain the better the product obviously.

Go for an 8 weave as it is far smoother than the cheaper 4 weave and is better for casting, whereas a 4 is OK for a backing line or for a cheaper jigging option.

The 8 weave Gosen is absolutely perfect and has a very good breaking strain and is unbelievably smooth, but I have been told the JDB is also decent and it's about 20% cheaper.

Do the right thing....


SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal