ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: m4kes on April 29, 2014, 06:11:19 PM
-
Which hooks can i use to replace worn/rusted hooks on Rapala X-Rap Walk, Flutterstick etc...
Rusted because of inactivity (been working away). Ready to get them working again.
-
OWNER hooks in the black chrome finish of the same size? Or maybe inline stainless singles like the DECOY? The decoys are better for hard fighting fish as those hooks dont straighten or bend and break easily. You do get slightly less chance of a hookup, but its usually solid when you do.
That hook at the back of the WALK is a thing of beauty.
Does anyone else know where to get those specific hooks?
-
I thought of changing to those inline hooks, but am concerned about how it will affect the X-Rap's walking action.
I have looked around & can't find those exact same hooks.
-
The decoys dont affect its action. I have changed a lot of my surface and swimming lures.
I have found that only on very small poppers, the action is sometimes affected, but even then, not by much. If a small popper has some flash or hackle tied to the trailing trebble, tie something on as the lack of drag on this trailing hook affects the lure action in some lures.
Make sure you use the correct size hooks as well.
I would not use decoys on Iron candy spoons. The hook must lie in the opposing plane to that spoon..
-
OWNER hooks in the black chrome finish of the same size? Or maybe inline stainless singles like the DECOY? The decoys are better for hard fighting fish as those hooks dont straighten or bend and break easily. You do get slightly less chance of a hookup, but its usually solid when you do.
That hook at the back of the WALK is a thing of beauty.
Does anyone else know where to get those specific hooks?
JBall, you get them FREE when you buy another Rapala!
-
If you can find a stockist, the hook JBall is referring to is a VMC 5536 Sure Set Trebble.
(You get one FREE with each Rapala you buy)!!!
-
OWNER hooks in the black chrome finish of the same size? Or maybe inline stainless singles like the DECOY? The decoys are better for hard fighting fish as those hooks dont straighten or bend and break easily. You do get slightly less chance of a hookup, but its usually solid when you do.
That hook at the back of the WALK is a thing of beauty.
Does anyone else know where to get those specific hooks?
Are you talking about this one?
http://www.basilmanning.co.za/hooks/trebles/vmc-8536bn-scorpic.html (http://www.basilmanning.co.za/hooks/trebles/vmc-8536bn-scorpic.html)
-
looks like the same thing. Rapala use the VMC 5536
check the rapala website:
http://www.rapala.com/vmc/hooks/treble/5536-dressed-suresetandreg-treble/5536+Dressed+SureSet+Treble.html (http://www.rapala.com/vmc/hooks/treble/5536-dressed-suresetandreg-treble/5536+Dressed+SureSet+Treble.html)
-
looks like the same thing. Rapala use the VMC 5536
check the rapala website:
http://www.rapala.com/vmc/hooks/treble/5536-dressed-suresetandreg-treble/5536+Dressed+SureSet+Treble.html (http://www.rapala.com/vmc/hooks/treble/5536-dressed-suresetandreg-treble/5536+Dressed+SureSet+Treble.html)
The only difference I can see is the addition of the feather. A bit on the expensive side though.
-
no, the vmc hooks both exist, both undressed, with 5536 and 8536 codes.
I cant find the difference. It might be the wire type.
either way, BM got the correk thing. Decoys are just as expensive, but a lot less destructive. Ill rather sacrifice a few come-offs and use the decoys.
-
I am with you on Single vs Trebles. I still think the trebles is the only way to go on the small minnow type lures.
-
this is the way to go:
(http://i57.tinypic.com/2cmxmye.jpg)
-
this is the way to go:
(http://i57.tinypic.com/2cmxmye.jpg)
:corrct: I like
-
Thanks chrisquinton for the advise. What size decoys would you advise for replacement on the Rapala's?
-
depends on the size of rap.
tell me what sizes you wanting to change hooks on which type lures..
then, depending on the lure, sometimes I will change the splitring as well. if you invest in hooks and splitrings, might as well look after them if you leave them unused for some time. I make a habit of rinsing every lure I fish with immediately after use, and give a Q20 spray every 2 months, or else immediately on packing away if you dont plan to use them in the next few weeks.
-
As a guideline , the hooks that u replace on the lures should be +/- a third of the size of the lure , pity Decoy dont make smaller in -line hooks .... yet.. :cnfzd
-
what size are you battling with?
number 4 is small enough for the smallest lure I have.... and they make that size.
-
Only found from a 1/0 and upwards at the tackle shop i go to , the smaller ones would be perfect for the smaller lure sizes.What do the VMC in-line hooks look like ..?? and what sizes do they come in , havent seen them in the shops here yet.. :dunno:
-
I have bought them down to #4. thats pretty small
they make them down to #8 but havent seen #8 in shops....
-
Ok cool , thanks , i'll check the other tackle shops as well and speak to the head honcho at the one i usually go to , and see if he can get some for stock (me).. :hyst:
-
we were discussing the VMC trebble, but VMC do have an inline single (7266 Inline). I havent seen them in shops but they look smae ad secoys. (if the pic posts below)
(http://www.waveinn.com/images/products/fotos/vmc_130160.jpg)
-
@Chris
I need to try them on the 9cm Xrap Walk and subwalk. What sizes do you think will work and where do you get the small sizes? Thanks for the info.
-
id use 2/0 on front (belly) and 3/0 at the back.
I bought the small ones last at the Kingfisher Dbn.
you should find them online as well. they not cheap, but great quality.
-
I found these on the net. Now to find a place that sells them.
http://owner-fishing.com.au/product/inline-hooks/ (http://owner-fishing.com.au/product/inline-hooks/)
-
And these gamakatsu's
http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/products.asp?categorynospaces=gamakatsu_single_lure_hooks_831 (http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/products.asp?categorynospaces=gamakatsu_single_lure_hooks_831)
-
Thanks Louie , always the issue is to find them locally , next best option is to order on -line .. :cnfzd
-
Thanks Louie , always the issue is to find them locally , next best option is to order on -line .. :cnfzd
Ja. It is either online or the decoys locally.
-
just come to durban boys. :hehe:
-
Ja, come throw some X-Rap Walks with us! :fshn:
-
:-( wish i could but its not that easy ..
-
id use 2/0 on front (belly) and 3/0 at the back.
I bought the small ones last at the Kingfisher Dbn.
you should find them online as well. they not cheap, but great quality.
Have the same 9cm X-Walks. Also some other 9cm lures i can use same on.
-
Also with looking at are "W" or un brazed double hooks.
You can store your lures hookless and have a selection if hooks that can be easily clipped on and off. Van Fook make some good options.
-
Owner ST66? trebles the make size #1 & #2 that will fit even the smallest lure crush the barbs if you feel guilty about using trebles just make sure you buy good split rings owner or varivas as the small size ones can get really suspect from no name brands.