ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Randon on April 25, 2014, 03:37:15 PM

Title: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Randon on April 25, 2014, 03:37:15 PM
Hi Shore Game Fisherman,I would like to know what hooks you guys use on ur
Spoons?I use the Iron Candy Couta Casting mostly.So wich type of hooks get the
Best hook up rates?
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: REEFMAN on April 25, 2014, 04:30:29 PM
The new Decoy inline hooks from tackletraders.co.za are the way to go now - you only need 1 split ring to upright the hook.
http://www.tackletraders.co.za/p/629628/decoy-inline-single (http://www.tackletraders.co.za/p/629628/decoy-inline-single)
available now at many stores, including Basil Manning online.
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: PH on April 25, 2014, 04:34:56 PM

available now at many stores, including Basil Manning online.

 :corrct: I bought some last week at Basil Manning in Springfield, Dbn. Unfortuanately I can't recall the price, but they were not excessively expensive compared to other good quality hooks.
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: tyrrell on April 25, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
picked up a 5 pack of 4/0 a few days ago at Commercial Marine in PE for R61.50
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Randon on April 25, 2014, 04:53:35 PM
Tanx for the replies guys,will give them try
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Cage on April 25, 2014, 05:15:10 PM
Apart from the decoys which are great....have also had great success using VMC jigging assist hooks on my spoons... think the code is 7264 OB - 3/0 and 5/0 sizes.... around 45 bucks for an 8 pack if i recall.... some spoons dont require the in line hooks to run hook pointing up depending on how the wire through is set..... the new iron candys come with a quality Daichii hook, unless you're really going big the stock components on the iron candy spoons are good enough imho for most applications on our coast....
oh, and VMC also just released their in-line version (basically a copy of the decoy) saw them at Sollys fourways, priced slightly cheaper than the decoys but they seem to be well made as well
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: chrisquinton on April 25, 2014, 08:53:19 PM
if you buying the IC couta casting spoons, you got the right hooks on them already.
dont waste time or money changing those.
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Randon on April 26, 2014, 12:06:54 AM
Tanx guys for taking the time to answer my question :tite
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Steenie on April 27, 2014, 08:01:10 PM
I bought 3/0 decoy hooks to fit to my selection of iron candy couta casting spoons. One thing that I am unsure of though...which side of the lure will be facing upward in the water column during the retrieve? The lure looks pretty much the same at the top and bottom, except for the small angled point at the front where the lure attach to the leader. Will this angled point face up or down during the retrieve? This will help me to decide which way the hook point should face!
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Steenie on April 27, 2014, 08:06:11 PM
I agree though, the original hooks that the couta casting spoons come out with are brilliant, but when they get blunt and worn beyond the point of effective sharpening, the decoy hooks are the best (according to the guys at Basil Manning).
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: kls on April 29, 2014, 08:46:52 AM
A good hook to use on the iron candys are the Daiichi DH55 #12 and #14
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: CLS on April 29, 2014, 11:11:00 AM
A good hook to use on the iron candys are the Daiichi DH55 #12 and #14
:corrct:
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: m4kes on April 29, 2014, 06:01:55 PM
picked up a 5 pack of 4/0 a few days ago at Commercial Marine in PE for R61.50

Picking up a pack tomorrow. Thanks
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Kevinm40 on May 19, 2014, 01:11:02 PM
i have change all the hooks on my iron candies to mustad o'shaughnessy hooks 4/0, found that the daiichi hooks pull very easily, it's worked so far, got a good few fish in.  mustads are a bit cheaper than the decoy +/- R40.00 / 5pck

Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: chrisquinton on May 19, 2014, 01:16:47 PM
after many years of experimenting with the various hook options out there, I can definitively conclude that the best kook for a spoon is the one in the fishes face.
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Kevinm40 on May 19, 2014, 01:25:11 PM
 :win:
after many years of experimenting with the various hook options out there, I can definitively conclude that the best kook for a spoon is the one in the fishes face.

i'll take that any day!
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Lucky Hook on May 19, 2014, 03:26:59 PM
I change the hooks on almost all hard (lead and white metal) lures that I use to a Big Gun number 5 or 6 or similar.  When the spinning craze started most lures did not have great hooks most were bent as is the norm for J hooks. At that time I used to use Gamakatsu Soi Ring Eye Numbers 5,6 or 7 and bend these hooks straight. This worked fine for smaller fish but it seems that the hooks often pull on the larger ones.

I really want to ensure that the bigger fish stay on and believe that the larger hooks with a larger gape that are bent with a prominent barb tend to ensure that the fish cannot easily throw the hook. Obviously when fishing and there are tons of shad around its best to bend the barb flat so as to not damage fish that you wish to release.

I have swum the hard lures with in line (straight hooks) and hooks with a bend in the pool and am not sure that the action really changes.


 
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Randon on May 19, 2014, 04:02:44 PM
Tanx Lucky Hook
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: andrewpalang on May 20, 2014, 02:20:39 PM
I must admit that I now change all my hooks on my Iron Candies. I have had quite a few straighten on me resulting in lots of *&%^&! Admittedly, they were on decent fish, but why risk loosing a PB because you were too lazy to change the hooks and split rings!

No matter what the lure, always change hooks and split rings for better quality ones! I prefer using Owner hooks and split rings. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but hey, you will never see them fail!
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: Kevinm40 on May 20, 2014, 02:49:23 PM
I must admit that I now change all my hooks on my Iron Candies. I have had quite a few straighten on me resulting in lots of *&%^&! Admittedly, they were on decent fish, but why risk loosing a PB because you were too lazy to change the hooks and split rings!

No matter what the lure, always change hooks and split rings for better quality ones! I prefer using Owner hooks and split rings. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but hey, you will never see them fail!

I agree totally, this could be the difference between catching your PB or getting a total @$$ whipping.
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: philter on May 20, 2014, 03:12:47 PM
Put Daiichi Stingers or Mustad Catfish hooks on all of mine, don't know why but I like the little bend at the eye, it seems to me that this should cause the hook point to swim more exposed.  Used decoys on my hard body lures.
Title: Re: Best hook for spoons
Post by: philter on May 22, 2014, 03:49:57 PM
Having said that I received a parcel from the us today, if you are going to order from overseas (couldn't find catfish hooks at any of the local outlets at the time but they all over the place in the us), make sure that you select the right size when you order. When I opened the packet was quite surprised, I know they say everything is bigger and better over there, but when my 2/0's turned out to be 6/0's, not sure what I'm gonna do with them      :dunno: 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal