ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 07:00:58 PM

Title: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 07:00:58 PM
I have been loosing quite a bit of lures while casting the last couple of weeks.


Same thing happens with the Sustain 5&6K and the Stella 14K...


When loading during the cast somewhere the reel bail snaps close.


The 20-25# braid snap at the rod tip and the 80# the steel trace cut through the 100# leader.


What am I doing wrong during the cast?


To get distance you really need to have confidence in your gear and not be afraid to load it..
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: pieta on March 14, 2014, 07:31:17 PM
Something you can try that wotks for me. After you open the bail arm turn the hand slowly and softly until it goes hard and stop. This will help to stop the closing of the bail. Sometimes during a cast the handle catch some momentum and closes the bail. If you turn the handle against the bail reset this can not hapen. The only bad thing about it is you have to close the bail by hand. The other problem can be that you developed a jerk action trying to gain more distance. Try and use the rod tip to flick the lure and try to make your action more smooth. Start with a swing back and then gradually pick up your speed during the cast. Did you change your rod lately?
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 07:35:26 PM
Thanks,


Will try it next week Friday,


This happens with different rods and reels...


Here is the 10ft and sustain in action


http://youtu.be/qdedDX_ak38 (http://youtu.be/qdedDX_ak38)
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Cam Mundy on March 14, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
The 14k is manual it doesnt have a trip mechanism it shouldn't be flipping the bail during the cast? The sustains do trip but the AR bearing should stop the the rotor turning durin the cast. Are you not bumping the bail during then cast?
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 07:46:06 PM
The 14k is manual it doesnt have a trip mechanism it shouldn't be flipping the bail during the cast? The sustains do trip but the AR bearing should stop the the rotor turning durin the cast. Are you not bumping the bail during then cast?


I have no idea Cameron, thats why I am asking the questions...


The Stella 14k and the BH 106 are big compared to the Sustain 5 k and the 10ft rod and the same thing happens on both..
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: dodger on March 14, 2014, 07:48:25 PM
if you played golf you would hook everything, trying to hit a 7 iron 200m
the rod is through the cast before you finish it should be high, but you have the tip pointing towards your left big toe, so slow down and let the rod do the duty, if you want to cast further use a bigger rod
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 07:52:51 PM
if you played golf you would hook everything, trying to hit a 7 iron 200m
the rod is through the cast before you finish it should be high, but you have the tip pointing towards your left big toe, so slow down and let the rod do the duty, if you want to cast further use a bigger rod


Dont know where the golf comes into this... Never played moer en soek... :hyst:


The BH 106 puts a 3oz spoon well over 120m...


The rod loads brilliant.


My problem is the reel bail closing during the cast.
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: dodger on March 14, 2014, 08:00:15 PM
if you played golf you would hook everything, trying to hit a 7 iron 200m
the rod is through the cast before you finish it should be high, but you have the tip pointing towards your left big toe, so slow down and let the rod do the duty, if you want to cast further use a bigger rod


Dont know where the golf comes into this... Never played moer en soek... :hyst:


The BH 106 puts a 3oz spoon well over 120m...


The rod loads brilliant.


My problem is the reel bail closing during the cast.

 :-) it's just from the position of the rod when the rod has finished the cast level and the tip pointing down left, which is not the way I used to cast,

the rods and reels are proven bits of kit so the common denominator is  :cnfzd

Slack off a bit with distance and see it that makes a difference and then push distance and see what happens
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 08:02:10 PM
if you played golf you would hook everything, trying to hit a 7 iron 200m
the rod is through the cast before you finish it should be high, but you have the tip pointing towards your left big toe, so slow down and let the rod do the duty, if you want to cast further use a bigger rod


Dont know where the golf comes into this... Never played moer en soek... :hyst:


The BH 106 puts a 3oz spoon well over 120m...


The rod loads brilliant.


My problem is the reel bail closing during the cast.

 :-) it's just from the position of the rod when the rod has finished the cast level and the tip pointing down left, which is not the way I used to cast,

the rods and reels are proven bits of kit so the common denominator is  :cnfzd

Slack off a bit with distance and see it that makes a difference and then push distance and see what happens


Thanks,


Will give it a try on Friday
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: LGF on March 14, 2014, 08:18:44 PM
I am no Pro, believe me, but here's my take on watching the cast.

1. You seem to start the cast lateral (to your right side) and then push the rod to the front with some serious power.

2. Look at 00:09 seconds, you'll see the tip actually snapping downwards (badly) as Dodger mentioned, this inherently means that whilst the lure is pulling line off the reel the rod (tip snapping down) is actually pulling back on the line and again I am no Pro but that will break lines like they do in your situation.

I would do what Dodger suggested, but would also add, that you rather start with a cast (loading the rod) from behind you or as far back as you can to your side and then ending the cast with the rod at around the 10 or 11 o'clock position. You are taking the rod too far down. Yes I do realise that the rod tip is soft, that I can see, but you need to compensate for that by trying to end the cast (without a jerking stopping motion) at the points mentioned. Your cast should be finished at these point with a natural motion. So continue to cast as you do, just start further back and please consider Dodgers advice in slowing down first and then putting in more power.

As for the bailarms snapping close, it might also have something to do with the burst of line speed or the indirect reverse action of the rod itself when the rod tip snaps downwards like that and I guess its at that exact point where the line and lure parts ways?
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 14, 2014, 08:25:39 PM
Brilliant... (clap) (clap)


Will keep it in mind and try and get out of this bad habit...


Will try to do more of a pendulum cast.
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: LGF on March 14, 2014, 08:38:22 PM
PS, see you're in Saudi, was supposed to have gone to Riyadh on the 28th, now it's postponed and might be cancelled all together.
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 15, 2014, 03:49:26 AM
You are not missing much at the moment...

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/67D7F283-947F-46C4-9725-7CF24117E604_zpstjs50vgv.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/67D7F283-947F-46C4-9725-7CF24117E604_zpstjs50vgv.jpg.html)



(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/C1E7E636-CCF5-47DF-902C-780F8234D863_zpsun7qhca7.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/C1E7E636-CCF5-47DF-902C-780F8234D863_zpsun7qhca7.jpg.html)
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Rory mundy on March 15, 2014, 06:57:38 AM
thats how my head feels this morning
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: LGF on March 15, 2014, 03:10:24 PM
Hehehe, enjoy, looking at Kinshasa on the other side of the river right now, swatting mozzies like mad, heeeeee haaaaaa, this is what I live for, NOT !
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Charles on March 15, 2014, 03:14:28 PM
Hehehe, enjoy, looking at Kinshasa on the other side of the river right now, swatting mozzies like mad, heeeeee haaaaaa, this is what I live for, NOT !
Bunia is not to bad today. Had a massive storm and it cooled down a bit.  :-)
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: SAfish on March 15, 2014, 04:55:55 PM
Gerhard, I had a similar problem and I removed the auto bail arm engage thingy and since then I had no problems. If your reel's bail arm engage is manual there must be something else wrong.  :dunno:

To remove the auto bail arm thingy, check this link from reply #20   http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.msg282708#msg282708 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.msg282708#msg282708)
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Gerhard on March 15, 2014, 06:51:37 PM
Gerhard, I had a similar problem and I removed the auto bail arm engage thingy and since then I had no problems. If your reel's bail arm engage is manual there must be something else wrong.  :dunno:

To remove the auto bail arm thingy, check this link from reply #20   http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.msg282708#msg282708 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.msg282708#msg282708)


Thanks,


Took the Sustain 5&6K got the lever removed...


Will test but will also consentrate on my loading of the rod
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: No-Pro on March 15, 2014, 09:31:18 PM
Anyone still in SA????
See LGF, Charles, Gerhard all out of country and I am replying from South Rumaila, Basra, Iraq.
Back in good old Cape Town on Wednesday, to fish for a month and say hi to the wife, ha ha.
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: SAfish on March 15, 2014, 09:38:28 PM
Anyone still in SA????
See LGF, Charles, Gerhard all out of country and I am replying from South Rumaila, Basra, Iraq.
Back in good old Cape Town on Wednesday, to fish for a month and say hi to the wife, ha ha.
Yes, but I might be off to Angola in a couple of weeks.  :hehe: w;k
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: LGF on March 16, 2014, 09:01:04 AM
Anyone still in SA????
See LGF, Charles, Gerhard all out of country and I am replying from South Rumaila, Basra, Iraq.
Back in good old Cape Town on Wednesday, to fish for a month and say hi to the wife, ha ha.


The story of my life, out of the country very second week, hopefully in April, whilst waiting for budget allocations, I can chip the dust off my fishing tackle and get some lines into water. Haven't fished since Nov last year and I know I am going  :nuts:  In the head, more than usual  :happ:
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Lenny on March 19, 2014, 08:53:04 AM
Anyone still in SA????
See LGF, Charles, Gerhard all out of country and I am replying from South Rumaila, Basra, Iraq.
Back in good old Cape Town on Wednesday, to fish for a month and say hi to the wife, ha ha.


I am in South Africa  :creep: :creep: :creep: .
Title: Re: What am I doing wrong?
Post by: HooknCook on March 19, 2014, 11:40:41 AM
I had a big problem last week with a brand new ultegra 5500, the bail keeps on closing, eventually noted that it opens up but doesn't clip back nicely. Very frustrating and cost me 6 lures in a week, sent it in for a service and will see how it comes back. It casts a mile on a assasin amia with a 1,5-2,5oz lure........caught a 7kg GT and handled it solidly in some rough terrain.....
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal