ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => REEL TECH, SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE => Topic started by: REEFMAN on September 07, 2010, 10:50:50 AM
-
Attached are the Updated bearing sizes for the Reels:
Daiwa SL30SH
Daiwa SL50SH
Daiwa Saltist 30H, 40H, 50H
Shimano Torium 30 (old version)
Shimano Trinidad 30
Shimano Trinidad 30A
Finnor OFC 30
Daiwa Saltiga Hyper HKP (Gold spool)
Daiwa Saltiga SA 50
Shimano Torium 50
Shimano Sustain 5000 FG
Shimano Stradic 5000 FJ
Penn Conflict/Battle
Daiwa Grandwave 50SHV
Penn Fathom 30
Shimano Ultegra 14000 XTA
Shimano Ultegra 5500 XTA
Daiwa Exceler Z
Daiwa Saltiga Surf 30
Daiwa BG SW Spin 6500
Shimano Bullseye 9120
Shimano Sedona 2500 FD
-
Fantastic stuff Reefs!! :1t: Let the pimping start!! (hap
-
Does anyone know the size for a bearing that replaces the bush under the drive shaft on a torium 50? I dont even know if there is one or even how to measure a bush
-
Brad... does your reel need a Service? It's time I did a tut on the 50! Then I'll be able to see what it is and measure it up for you if need be?
-
Hey Rory
All good and well with the "Pimping"
All I can have pimped is my Saltist 50H
As soon as I get my bearings I will ask Richard Hills at
"Spinner & Tackle" to do them for me.
What will this improve in my 50H ??
Carlos
}<(((*>
If you replace the bearings with Boca bearings - these are "Abec 5" bearings - much higher precision and tolerances than the standard bearings - then the simple performance of the reel will be improved... smoother and longer lasting. The Abec 5's from BOCA have Ceramic balls, (Hybrid bearings), covered by stainless steel races - Ceramics are known to be much smoother, more efficient and longer lasting than the stainless steels. All my dental handpieces run on Ceramics - they are the best of the best... and they run at 300,000 revs per minute!
Casting with these bearings will be improved through smoother running.
If you replace the teflon bushing under the Cast control cap, where the spool fits in, the reel suddenly has a different 'feel' to it... much more solid, less play in the spool, and somehow, it feels like more torque - not exactly sure if it does have more torque, but it certainly feels different - more solid.
If you use your reel to cast with, then I would suggest the changes are good, but perhaps unnecessary for boat fishing?
The Drag washers in the standard Saltist are poor, so another excellent upgrade would be the Carbontex washers from smoothdrag.com... makes a significant difference to most reels.
The Saltiga's all come standard now with the upgraded 'Carbontex-like' drag washers.
-
Stupid me I completely forgot about this thread! Reefz the reel is brand new but perhaps we should do a service just to have photos for the tut. Im also sure Im not the only one wondering about the bearing so Ill bring it along on sat and you can decide
-
Guys where do you aorder your bearings from? Bearing man was R20 for a torium 50 drive shaft bearing but over a hundred for the relevent 30 bearing! Surely that cant be right?
-
Guys where do you aorder your bearings from? Bearing man was R20 for a torium 50 drive shaft bearing but over a hundred for the relevent 30 bearing! Surely that cant be right?
Still haven't learnt how to use the search function yet Brad!? :hehe:
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,1542.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,1542.0.html)
-
I did see that thread but wanted to see if I could get a normal bearing cheaper. Im not really looking for ceramic bearings for the drive shaft wouldnt that be more suited to your spool bearings which are really key in terms of performance?
-
The Boca bearings work out about R57 a bearing. They last much longer because they are Ceramic balls, and their tolerance is much higher. Whether you need them outside of the spool bearings is a valid point, perhaps a bit of overkill, but thats the way we GP okes do things! :lolo:
The only other option is to shop around as you are doing now... if you have the time and patience, that's obviously the way to go! Let us know what you come up with... it's always an interesting subject.
-
I've just finished sorting out my order with George from Boca, he's extremely helpful and very professional. :ayb
He's had to order 2 sizes for me that aren't in stock, and as soon as they arrive he's posting the whole batch up. Hell I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!!! :happ:
-
@ RORY
Thanks for the compliment and glad I could help. Please let us all know how that bearing works in place of that bushing. Do you need 2 or can 1 do the job.
Very anxious to find out
George
-
I've just finished sorting out my order with George from Boca, he's extremely helpful and very professional. :ayb
He's had to order 2 sizes for me that aren't in stock, and as soon as they arrive he's posting the whole batch up. Hell I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!!! :happ:
1st Class service from George !!!
I myself have ordered a few sets of bearings from him, have installed in the saltist 40, Reefman said i would be pleasantly surprised, and man I am
That reel is extra smooth, without exageration, when i have the saltist in my hands i have the confidence as if it were a Saltiga
With the correct installation, that spool spins forever and the reel cranks smoother than the day i bought it
Soak the new bearings in Benzine to clear out the factory grease, then be careful not to use to much oil on the spool bearings or it will hamper the performance of the bearings, you literally need one drop of oil for the smaller bearings and 2 drops of oil on the larger bearings, trust me it is enough, you don't need to remove the steel races, the oil readily absorbs into the bearings
I used TG's rocket fuel Yellow label, and like i said, that spool spins forever and is super quiet
-
May i add George is very professional, attentitive and helpful
Always replys to mails and goes the extra mile
I received the incorrect bearing sizes for a particular reel, within and hour of mailing him he called me and assured me he would send me the correct bearings, that my friends is service !!
-
...........Please let us all know how that bearing works in place of that bushing.........Very anxious to find out
George
May i add George is very professional, attentitive and helpful
Always replys to mails and goes the extra mile
I received the incorrect bearing sizes for a particular reel, within and hour of mailing him he called me and assured me he would send me the correct bearings, that my friends is service !!
(hap (hap (hap (hap
Woohoo - just picked up my bearings at the Post Orrifice, let the pimping begin!! Thanks again for all the help George! I'll let you know how the "odd one out" works.
-
(hap (hap (hap (hap
Woohoo - just picked up my bearings at the Post Orrifice, let the pimping begin!! Thanks again for all the help George! I'll let you know how the "odd one out" works.
Did you manage to pimp your reel Rory ?
-
Did you manage to pimp your reel Rory ?
Yup he did ! Says its amazing !
Wait to hear it from the horse's mouth !
-
Sounds good, waiting for his feedback then
-
Did you manage to pimp your reel Rory ?
Yup he did ! Says its amazing !
Wait to hear it from the horse's mouth !
Sounds good, waiting for his feedback then
Ja the reel is done and dusted. Now I bought that SL50 in 2001, and it still had the original bearings in, so to quote Reefz here: "They're shot!" Stripped the baby down and replaced the lot of them. The cast control bush on the SL50 is a really wierd size, so its been replaced with 2 ball bearings which match up to the bush size perfectly. To say the difference in feel on the reel is noticable is a bit of an understatement. The acid test will be on Saturday when I can give it a burn or 40 at Leeukop.
My SL30 is brand new, so I've only replaced the cast control bush with a ball bearing, so I'll put it through its paces on Staurday as well!
(hap (hap (hap (hap
-
Sounds good Rory, thanks for the feedback
-
.....The acid test will be on Saturday when I can give it a burn or 40 at Leeukop.....
If I may quote Darth Vader here: "Impressive.....most impressive"
That SL50 has been transformed, that spool just keeps going and going and going. Those bearings were worth every cent! (hap
-
@Rory
Glad to hear that the plan worked. Can you remove one of the 4x8x3 bearings and see if it still performs?
Thanks for the feedback and glad you are impressed!!
-
Glad to hear that the plan worked. Can you remove one of the 4x8x3 bearings and see if it still performs?
No problemo, I'll give it a bash!
-
Hello All
I would just like to add my 5 cents on the issue of spool and drive shaft bearings and what is worth upgrading and what is not.
The way I look at it is the following. We need to remember that on the conventionals, the drag stack is running on the drive shaft which in turn is then kept aligned by means of these bearings and bushes that need or not need or can or cant be upgraded. In my opinion, if you are going to upgrade your spool bearings, then I would just as well upgrade the driveshaft bearings too as this means that the driveshaft does literally stay better aligned, resulting in smoother drag, less stickyness and less possible hotspots. Further more, it will result in the gears having less 'friction' and make the reel more efficient under heavier loads as the spool and drive gear and pinion gears stay better aligned.
I have proven this on my saltist 50 when I first started briniging the bearings in. I have used and abused my saltist offshore on some nice yellowfins and some very very feisty dorado and an odd shark and the difference from before the upgrade of the drive shaft bearings to afterwards was quite noticeable. Its my Saltiga in disguise. For those that cant afford the Saltiga, we get a Saltist and pimp it!!
But also With saying this, I dont mean that we take a cheaper end reel and then go pimping it bearings all round and end up paying almost the reels price over again in the process. But where it is feasable like in case of Saltists, Toriums etc, I would suggest doing the whole reel. Cheaper and especially the smaller reels like 20's then most certainly do spool only.
Further, if you have a bearing that is playin up you can replace it with a better quality one at a time as they wear until the whole reel is 'upgraded'. The ceramic hybrids do last much much longer and are designed and built to work harder and take more punishment than a standard bearing.
Please bare in mind guys, not saying this because I want to sell more, but it certainly does help and at the end its each ones personal choice and what fits the pocket.
Thanks for everyones support and BIG Thanks to all the guys who work so hard to share the wonderful posts on the forum!!
-
George you are a champion. I upgraded all my saltists (x3) and my saltiga with complete bearing sets from George. I have yet to use them but they feel good. Georges service, advice on cleaning, lubing etc, and continual communication was a real pleasure. Thank you Jagged Edge
-
Guys does anyone have the bearing sizes for a Saltiga 50 but not the gold spool its the normal blue spool. Are they the same as the gold spool?
-
I'm almost sure they're the same Brad. Daiwa standardizes a lot of the bearing sizes across the range.
-
Thanx Reefz!
-
Is there a specific supplier for the stainless bearings,
-
Any of the big retailers will have bearings... Basil Manning, Kingfisher. CDS Angling also supplies bearings.
-
Reelman , i know this is an old post. but if you have the time, could you
list the Daiwa part number next to the bearing size ,, this would help us out very much.
I have attached the schematic for quick reference.
Thanks,
Attached are the Updated bearing sizes for the Reels:
Daiwa SL30SH
Daiwa SL50SH
Daiwa Saltist 30H, 40H, 50H
Shimano Torium 30 (Now updated)
Shimano Trinidad 30
Finnor OFC 30
Daiwa Saltiga HKP (Gold spool)
Torium 50
-
SL 30SHK
BEARING SIZE PART NUMBER
RHS SPOOL - 6X10X3 6G467103
LH SPOOL 3X10X4 6G511502
BOTTOM DRIVE 5X9X3 6G538001
TOP DRIVE 8X16X5 6B628601
CAST CONTROL 3X10X4 6B546401 BUSHING
SL50SH
RHS SPOOL 7X14X3.5 637-5701
LHS SPOOL 4X11X4 6G427701
BOTT DRIVE 7X14X3.5 6E611201
TOP DRIVE 8X16X5 B62-8601
CAST CNTRL BUSH 4X8X6 636-3101
SALTISTS
RHS SPOOL 8X14X4 6G42701
LHS SPOOL 4X11X4 6G427701
BOTT DRIVE 7X14X3.5 6E611201
TOP DRIVE 8X14X4 6G523401 (FOR THE 30H) - 6FO55502 (FOR THE 50H)
CAST CNTL 3X8X4 6E608801
Your Parts diagrams are for the old Sealine SH versions. They are outdated. The newer SHK versions can be found under the relevant Maintenance threads.
But, to make your life easier, just order the entire Bearing kits for your particular reel from www.smoothdrag.com (http://www.smoothdrag.com).... MUCH easier!
Cheers
REEFMAN
-
Thank Reelman, what I did, still missing information, add more as I find them:
Daiwa part # Bearing size (IDxODxthickness)
636-3101, == 4.0X8.0X6.0mm
637-5701, 6E611201 == 7.0X14.0X3.5mm
B35-0301, E08-8001, F40-3701, F57-7701, F57-7702, 6G431105, 6E608801 == 3.0x8.0x4.0mm
6B628601, B62-8601 == 8.0X16.0X5.0mm
F64-8301, == 5.0x8.0x2.5mm
G00-6601,
G00-7601,
G02-0801, G28-1601 == 3.0x6.0x2.5mm
G05-1701, == 5.0x9.0x3.0mm
G15-6801 == 10.0x15.0x4.0mm
G15-6803 == 9.0x15.0x4.5mm
G15-7501,
G21-2502 == 6.0x10.0.2.5mm
G29-2802, == 9.0x17.0x5.0mm
G34-1901,
G37-0902,
G37-0905,
G42-7201,
G42-7202,
G42-7701, 6G427701 == 4.0x11.0x4.0mm
G43-1001,
G43-1002,
G43-1004 == 8.0x12.0x2.5mm
G43-1101,
G43-0901,
G43-1102,
G46-6201, F05-5601, F84-4901, G37-0905, == 5.0x8.0x2.5mm
G46-6202,
G46-7101,
G46-7102, G50-7601, F21-6101, G46-7101, 6G467103 == 6.0x10.0x3.0mm
G46-7103,
G46-7301 == 7.0x13.0x4.0mm
G46-9001,
G46-9002,
G49-850
G49-8506,
G49-8601,
G49-8602,
G51-1501,
G51-1502, 6G511502, (6B546401 BUSHING) == 3.0x10.0x4.0mm
G51-1504,
G51-1506,
G51-1507,
G52-0502,
G52-2701, F01-6401, G52-2702 == 7.0x11.0x3.0mm
G52-2801 == 9.0x17.0x5.0mm
G52-3401, G52-3403, 6G42701, 6G523401, 6FO55502 == 8.0x14.0x4.0mm
G53-6001,
G53-5101 == 7.0x14.0x5.0mm
G53-8001, 6G538001, G53-8003, B35-8601, F58-1901, B55-0301,68358605 == 5.0x9.0x3.0mm
G57-6001, B36-1704, B86-1702, G34-3401, F58-2501 == 8.0x12.0x3.5mm
G68-6901,
G75-6301,
G83-6901,
J04-0001 (magseal) == 8.0x14.0x5.0mm
J18-4401 (magseal), == 5.0x10.0x4.5mm
TD-Z103H, == 5.0x11.0x4.0mm
6G720001 Bushing, == 4.0x7.0x2.5mm
635-5001, == 9.0x20.0x6.0mm
637-6101, == 10.0x20.0x5.0mm
10E254, == 4.0x7.0x2.0mm
update 6mar2017
-
Update...
-
Update...
Hi Reefs,
I assume the bearing sizes for the SL30 would be the same for the SL20, correct? They have somewhat similar dimensions except that the 20 is narrower.
Let me know.
-
Ya, chances are the bearings are the same.
Only way to make sure though, is to get the Reel Schematics and compare the bearing part numbers.
-
Updated to include the Daiwa 6500 BG spin series and the Shimano Bullseye bearing sizes.
-
anyboy knw where i can buy bearing for SL30 close to CT cbd area?
-
Try calling big catch, they are in Paarden Eiland