ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Curtly on March 03, 2014, 10:22:37 AM

Title: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Curtly on March 03, 2014, 10:22:37 AM
Hi
 
I would like to know whether it is okay to attach a Power swivel to my halco sorcerer 68's.
Will it spoil the action of the lure?
I use lure clips and the reason I want to do this is that i find it a bit of a fiddle to attach the lure clip to the lure itself.
 
Ta.
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: chrisquinton on March 03, 2014, 10:52:06 AM
it won't but make sure the size of swivel matches the splitring. 
i replace the splitrings most lures come with for a smaller, decent one if I do this. the correct type has no visible "overlap" where the ring coil has a visibly raised point which interferes with the movement of the splitring through the swivel.

i rig a duo lock clip to the end of my leader and clip this directly onto the lure (remove the split ring altogether).
I run my swivel at the braid-leader joint. makes it much easier to change lures and has no effect on lure action. if anything, reduces visibility of splitrings and swivels at the business end.
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Curtly on March 04, 2014, 06:31:30 AM
"the correct type has no visible "overlap" where the ring coil has a visibly raised point which interferes with the movement of the splitring through the swivel."
 
@ chrisquinton: With reference to the above could you perhaps post a pic of what this split ring looks like please?

Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Half-Pint on March 04, 2014, 06:38:29 AM
This explains all things lure related quite well

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7491.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7491.0)
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: chrisquinton on March 04, 2014, 08:48:22 AM
Curtly, I will do so tonight, so everyone can see what I am trying to explain.
Unfortunately, I am busting chops at work till 5! swr
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 09:29:56 AM
It's all in the link that Half-Pint posted!

 Always look for   Forged rings that have been 'stamped' out in the manufacturing process -   these rings have a kink in the middle of the ring, allowing the ring to   be 2 wire diameters thick. The unstamped versions are 3 diameters   thick, making them essentially useless, since they are too thick to fit   through the eye of the hook!

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/lures/stamped%20ring.jpg)

(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/lures/non%20stamped%20ring.jpg)
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: travelmember on March 04, 2014, 09:37:42 AM
Why use a swivel on a lipped lure? - they are designed not to spin in the first place. Simple Rapala knots work for me.
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
Why use a swivel on a lipped lure? - they are designed not to spin in the first place. Simple Rapala knots work for me.

Guys are getting lazy TM... the use of quick-change clips are quite popular these days. But you're right, the best way is to tie a knot!
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Curtly on March 04, 2014, 10:41:18 AM
@Travelmember: I find attaching a lure clip a better option as it  saves time in making the rapala knot each time.
If i wanted to change the lure its a matter of clipping it off and putting on another one!
 
@Reefman: Great Tutorial bud! Pretty self explanatory.
I'll be the first to admit that I've put a lot of crap split rings onto my lures cos I wasn't the wiser... so gues what I'll be doing in the near future: Taking em all off!
 
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 10:43:08 AM
Shot bud, it's wierd that Halco uses those crappy 3-wide Split rings on all their lures...  :nuts:
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Lofty on March 04, 2014, 11:02:55 AM
I was using a powerswivel attached to my fluoro leader,which is connected to my braid with a 7 turn uni and double fig.8,then using my split-ring pliers to change lures...I then read that some guys were using quick-change clips to change lures...I then bought these(pic)to try this,but after a while changed back to my previous method as I found these "quick change clips"to not be very easy or quick,I found too that sometimes I had to bend open the clip to be able to hook the lure...maby I'm doing something wrong... :dunno: is there perhaps a different clip that I could try..?(http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/CENTRO_CROSS_LOC_5141a06fc8c51.jpg)
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 11:31:46 AM
(http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/FISHING/Fishing%20stuff/lures/line%20clips.jpg)


The middle ones in the bottom pic are the ones I'm using more regularly now... can't remember what make they are, but you can bend them with your fingers.

(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14189.0;attach=86058;image)
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Lofty on March 04, 2014, 11:57:56 AM
 :tkx: mr.Reefs,interresting clip that middle one...will look out for some of those clips...I've got the top pics' dr.hook clip but never used it as a quick change clip... duh I used mine on my bucktails for some free movement... :dunno:
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
That middle clip is called a Speed clip, made by Norman. Thanks Chrisquinton!

(http://www.bass.co.za/images/norman_lures_fishing_speed_clips_bait_spinner_angling_buy.jpg)


Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Homie on March 04, 2014, 04:10:43 PM
Where did you get those Tony ?
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: chrisquinton on March 04, 2014, 04:12:22 PM
I found them at bass.co.za
they have no stock left....
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Homie on March 04, 2014, 04:14:21 PM
I've found them at Mia's before, but haven't seen those in a while... Don't think I have a single one left
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 04:15:54 PM
I got mine at MIAS. Angling Africa out of stock as well.
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Homie on March 04, 2014, 04:17:48 PM
Recently Tony?
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: REEFMAN on March 04, 2014, 04:25:42 PM
 sry no. I'm not a tackle slut, haven't been to MIAS in at least.... 2 weeks.
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Homie on March 04, 2014, 04:27:35 PM
Lol...
I was  last there on Tuesday last week for some neoprene socks....
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: dodger on March 04, 2014, 04:37:23 PM
 :blush:I was there on Sunday, can't do much but make traces and rig lures and I needed stuff... you know what it's like  :vio so the wife took me to Mias and while I was inside she happily sat in the car and read a book.

Those Mustaad quick change clips I use on the end of my fly leader with the  :tgr: flies, they seem ok so far
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: smiley6996 on March 08, 2014, 02:00:57 PM
You should try these clips most guys here in ec use them quick easy and strong
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Cam Mundy on March 08, 2014, 11:36:19 PM
On light tackle nothing beats a direct connection for me, you can cut  and retie at least 3 times on an average leader before having to change the leader itself. So one one leader you could fish a dropshot,  spoon and chiselnose plug which for me are my basic tester lures to find a pattern as they are bottom, midwater and surface respectively.  Once you find interest in on one of those you can then refine with other lures and as each one has a different casting length you can narrow it down even further. Blindly casting the last thing you heard was great or saw on TV  rarely helps
Title: Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
Post by: Curtly on March 10, 2014, 02:43:28 PM
@Smiley: Were you talking about the Doug Swannell Clips? Could you perhaps posta pic plse?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal