ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on February 17, 2014, 09:28:39 AM

Title: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 17, 2014, 09:28:39 AM
Had tons of fun recently in the Eastern Cape on fly, caught the fish below with a 4 weight, floating line and 6lb tippet, the fly that produced the most fish was the White Fritz (A trout fly that nails spawning fish in winter) was great fun!

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_0972_zpseb862d1d.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_0971_zps0c2fc13f.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_0975_zps4e91a9f6.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_0989_zps0467c242.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_1029_zpsed29f188.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_1028_zps1a361ac4.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/kenton2014/IMG_1027_zps2f4fa7a4.jpg)
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: Ziggy on February 17, 2014, 10:02:50 AM
Nice!


I see that you dont always trim the tag end when tying on the fly?
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: Homie on February 17, 2014, 10:04:45 AM
Awesome stuff there !!!

Lovely Garrick !
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: SAfish on February 17, 2014, 10:07:28 AM
 (clap) Great stuff, Gareth!
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: Willie on February 17, 2014, 10:08:33 AM
 (clap) great stuff Gareth
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 17, 2014, 10:08:59 AM
Thanks guys...

@Ziggy its a bit of a phobia I have, lost a lot of fish because I have cut the tag end too short and the knot was pulled tight enough, so when Im stripping the fly fast and not too worried about presentation, I leave a bit of the tag end on there.
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: Ziggy on February 17, 2014, 10:11:56 AM
Thanks guys...

@Ziggy its a bit of a phobia I have, lost a lot of fish because I have cut the tag end too short and the knot was pulled tight enough, so when Im stripping the fly fast and not too worried about presentation, I leave a bit of the tag end on there.


I always worry that  a tag end will affect the looks and movement of the fly - but maybe I shouldn't be so fussy when tying on the fly!
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: briansflyfishing on February 21, 2014, 07:29:05 AM
Nice job.
On a 4 weight those little ones can be a lot of fun.
Would have like to be there if a 5 kg Garrick took that fly and ran you dry. :rotfl



Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 21, 2014, 08:17:01 AM
 :hehe: thanks, I think a 3kg Garrick would of stripped me in a few seconds, never mind a 5kg!  :rotfl
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: gavin erwin on February 21, 2014, 10:10:04 AM
Looked like great fun!!! Still have to get a Garrick on fly, well done bro!!! :+ cred:
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 21, 2014, 10:22:39 AM
Shot Gav!
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: byrox on February 21, 2014, 11:16:51 AM
top stuff Mr Zig Master  *Chineese bow*
 
 :rck"
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: Lenny on February 21, 2014, 11:18:17 AM
 Love those Moonies .
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: byrox on February 21, 2014, 11:29:22 AM
do you eat them lenny?
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: Bulllie on February 26, 2014, 10:44:17 PM
nice fish well done where in the eastern cape were you fishing. l like to target grunter  with a 6wt fly rod and a large arbour reel but alway have my 9wt with in case spot a beast. You will be surprised the amount of pressure you can apply wth a 6wt.
Title: Re: Some Saltwater Fish On The Fly
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 27, 2014, 09:19:33 AM
Thanks, yeah I carry an 8 weight with me, but really enjoyed fishing the 4 this time around. Fished the kasouga and kleinemonde rivers.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal